Muzzleloading Forum

HomeGalleryFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Share | 

Bedding compound, How to and what to use?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
cowboys1062

Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2015-02-15

PostSubject: Bedding compound, How to and what to use?   May 6th 2015, 12:57 am

I have a CVA Hawken rifle that I ended up shimming the Tang area and where the triggers set in the stock. At first I couldnt get the triggers to work on the set position and the hammer even though would half calk and full calk you could put thumb preasure on it and it would release. After numerous hours of taking the rifle apart and putting it back together again and trying everything I could think of, I finally ended up putting a strip of a rubber intertube in the tang area and on each end of the trigger well in the stock where the trigger plate rests in. After doing this it fixed everything to where the triggers function properly and the hammer now stays in the half and full cock positions and will not fall with thumb preasure on the back of the hammer. To make the story short what I am trying to say is I discovered that the inletting of the tang area and the trigger area was to deep in the stock and the shimming in those areas fixed my problems. I now want to know how to use a bedding compound to replace the temporary shims. I have never done this and dont know what to use or how to use it. I want to use it to build up the inletted areas where the tang sits and where the triggerplate sits in the stock. Any advice on what to use and how to use it would be greatly appreciated. Thankyou, Respectfully, cowboys1062. headslap
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cowboys1062

Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2015-02-15

PostSubject: Re: Bedding compound, How to and what to use?   May 6th 2015, 8:18 am

I was also wondering about maybe using J.B.Weld instead of ordering the Bedding Compound and releasing agent along with the shipping costs. My wife is the soul supporter of our family due to me being a disabled veteran and cant physically work. I always go the cheapest route that I can and still do the job right. The inletting in the stock only has to be built up a very small amount for it to work. Using  J.B.Weld would definately be the best way to go for me financially but would it work?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sqezer

Male Number of posts : 1734
Registration date : 2009-11-06

PostSubject: Re: Bedding compound, How to and what to use?   May 6th 2015, 8:38 am

I use JB-Weld all the time for my bedding, works great. For a release agent I use Johnson Floor Wax.

.45 Knight Disc Extreme MHSDE SS composit stock
.50 Knight Mountaineer Laminated stock
.50 Knight Disc Elite
.50 Knight Disc Extreme X 3
.50 Knight Long Range Hunter
.52 Knight Disc Extreme Winter Camo stock
.45 CVA Apex & 7mm-08
.50 CVA APEX
.45 CVA MagHunter X 5
.50 CVA Buckhorn Mag X 4
.50 CVA Wolf Shorty
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://sqezer@yahoo.com
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 14469
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: Bedding compound, How to and what to use?   May 6th 2015, 10:18 am

JB weld here as well. Johnsons paste wax or the birchwood casey WAX does great for a release agent, Just add a few coats.

I had that issue as well. You should be able to see a shiny spot on the wood where the triggers main spring is hitting that area. I always use a chisel and carve the wood out and then bed the front and rear section of the trigger plate.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bedding compound, How to and what to use?   

Back to top Go down

Bedding compound, How to and what to use?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Traditional Muzzleloading-
Jump to: