Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

Muzzleloading Forum

HomeFAQRegisterLog in
Share | 

Unusual catch

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Jotjackson

Jotjackson

Male Number of posts : 302
Registration date : 2015-01-15

PostSubject: Unusual catch   May 6th 2015, 9:04 pm

Today I set the hook on a good bass. After getting it in the boat (7lbs) I noticed it had a snake in its mouth. I have heard and seen pics of this before but never experienced it. Turned out to be a 6" cotton mouth. The fish ate the snake head first with about 3"in his gut. Strange, caught plenty with shad or bluegill in their stomachs but never a snake. Wished I had taken a picture of it. 

Stay safe

Jerry

patocazador

Number of posts : 5853
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Unusual catch   May 7th 2015, 7:12 am

That's a real nice-sized bass for your part of Ala. :rtup 

I've never seen a fish eat a snake either. However, I shot a cottonmouth with my .22 pistol while fishing and it gave birth to 6 miniature cottonmouths while writhing on the bank. I killed them too.
When I got back to camp, one of the other club members chided me for wasting "the best da-ned bass bait there is."

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
Jotjackson

Jotjackson

Male Number of posts : 302
Registration date : 2015-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Unusual catch   May 7th 2015, 7:42 am

I am part of a club of 8 guys who lease a private lake and manage it for trophy bass. We utilize the "catch and release" of any bass over 3lbs. We have a fisheries biologist who oversees the operation of the lake and he knows what he is doing.  I have caught several bass over 8lbs. My largest weighed 11lbs. We also have a large population of bluegill. Bass love them and it makes for a great afternoon of fishing with my grandchildren. They hunt and fish with me every chance we get. Life is good in Alabama.

Male Number of posts : 1735
Registration date : 2009-11-06

PostSubject: Re: Unusual catch   May 7th 2015, 9:17 am

Grass snakes here in Wi. work great on Cat Fish. cheers

Unusual catch
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Fishing Forum :: Fishing-
Jump to: