Share | 

Pitting or Blue just removed

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Clyde

Number of posts : 350
Registration date : 2011-11-27

PostSubject: Pitting or Blue just removed   May 10th 2015, 6:54 am

I can't figure out what is going on in this barrel.  I know 2 yrs ago I had a couple of rust pits form due to shooting 2 does on a foggy morning in October, but I had removed them.  Yesterday I cleaned this barrel(sidelock Triple7 only), and while inspecting it I found several white spots in the barrel.  I tried Ballistoil, 40x, and Kroil oil, I tried a brush wrapped in a patch, a new bore brush, in short about everything I could think of.  I did not get any orange residue at all none so I put a flash light on the barrel with a q tip over the spots to get a good look at the barrel metal and I couldn't see any pitting or peppering in the metal so I'm at a loss was this more surface rust that I got off before any serious damage occurred or did something else occur  ?  The gun has been fired after the hunt 2 yrs ago and carefully cleaned using balistoil as cleaner and rust inhibitor/prevent never had any issues with this combo before.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 14527
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: Pitting or Blue just removed   May 10th 2015, 9:26 am

sounds like some etching from where the rust spots were and it just left shiner dull spots when the rust was removed.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
Smokin' Joe
FML's
FML's

Male Number of posts : 1754
Registration date : 2011-11-23

PostSubject: Re: Pitting or Blue just removed   May 11th 2015, 9:08 am

Clyde, try the product "Evapo-Rust" and see if that makes a difference at removing your surface rust.  It worked great in a muzzleloader that I purchased once.  I didn't have any pitting,  just surface rust but the product worked great.

Semper Fi……..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Pitting or Blue just removed   

Back to top Go down

Pitting or Blue just removed
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Modern Muzzleloading-
Jump to: