Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

Muzzleloading Forum

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

Rifle Sight Problems

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Hanshi

Hanshi

Male Number of posts : 344
Registration date : 2015-01-21

Rifle Sight Problems Empty
PostSubject: Rifle Sight Problems   Rifle Sight Problems EmptyMay 23rd 2015, 9:57 pm

I've been busy working up a load AND sighting in my Tn .32 flinter.  It now appears that in order to get the sights centered will require filing down the front sight completely - which is no option; I mean down to the dovetail base.  The only solution I see is to modify the rear so that it, in effect, raises the rear sight in order to bring the POI up several inches.  The rear sight is a full buckhorn which I like okay but using the notch shoots much too low.  Possibly I could come up with a way to put a reference point on the horns that would allow a precision sight picture with the rear sight.  The front has already been filed down more than I like but not enough to replace it which would make the situation worse.  

Does anyone have knowledge of how to go about this?  It will have to be simple because all I have to work with is a set of files and white paint.
Back to top Go down
http://www.martialartsusa.com
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

Male Number of posts : 16313
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: Rifle Sight Problems   Rifle Sight Problems EmptyMay 23rd 2015, 10:26 pm

I'd find a new rear sight. I've tried the buckhorn sights on the hawken rifles and theres just no friggin adjustment at all with them, they sit to low on the barrel. The front sight I had on a kentucky half stock was so short, it seriously was as tall as a toothpick is thick. I gave up on them after that as no rifle I ever put that sight on, ever worked right.

The only other thing I'd give serious thought to is welding the rear sight closed and weld it up in layers and cutting a new V notch in it so it sits higher up.
Back to top Go down
patocazador

patocazador

Number of posts : 5852
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Rifle Sight Problems   Rifle Sight Problems EmptyMay 24th 2015, 8:10 am

If the rear sight is dovetailed in, simply tap it out and replace it with one from TOW. They have a bunch to choose from.

("Kaintuck" from Tennessee made me a homemade peep for my .45 flinter that works great. PM me if you don't know who that is.)

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
Hanshi

Hanshi

Male Number of posts : 344
Registration date : 2015-01-21

PostSubject: Re: Rifle Sight Problems   Rifle Sight Problems EmptyMay 24th 2015, 4:06 pm

I think I'll remove the two sights and measure them as best I can and then see if TOTW has something that will work.
Back to top Go down
http://www.martialartsusa.com

Rifle Sight Problems
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Traditional Muzzleloading-
Jump to: