Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

MUZZLELOADING FORUM

HomeGalleryFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Ads

Share | 

I feel like a thief

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Fishunt

Male Number of posts : 96
Registration date : 2015-05-27

PostSubject: I feel like a thief   May 30th 2015, 8:38 pm

Been reading this site almost daily now for two years so just wanted to say thanks for the graduate degree in Muzzle Loading.

I found this site while my son-in-law and I were preparing for our first ever elk hunt to Jonathan's back yard, La Garita Wilderness Area Colorado. I did a google search for something like ML bullets for elk in Colorado and this site came up.

We had previously purchased two  of the CVA Mountain Rifles just for this hunt. Well, we were about a month from the hunt when I discovered that open sites can't be used with the mountain rifle and that the coating on the rifles chipped off. We got through the hunt and after we got back both of those rifles were replaced by CVA with two stainless and black Accura V2's.

We had a very successful hunt. A wonderful cross country drive to a most beautiful place and never shot the gun. 

And yea, I considered it a very successful hunt.

Glenn Carter
Gloucester, Va
Back to top Go down
View user profile
patocazador

Number of posts : 5862
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: I feel like a thief   May 30th 2015, 8:48 pm

I'm glad you enjoyed your "hunt".  I would be satisfied if I saw some game and had at least one good chance. If that didn't happen, however, I would be disappointed.

Welcome to the site.

(PS: Thieves are only able to take what others don't want them to have. Everything on this site is given freely. It's not possible to steal it.) Smile

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hawgslayer
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Number of posts : 3699
Registration date : 2009-10-01

PostSubject: Re: I feel like a thief   May 31st 2015, 4:03 am

WELCOME ABOARD Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Glad you signed up and joined in. cheers cheers

Ray.......... cowyboy hatoff

KEEPEM IN THE " 10 " RING   

Semper Fi...... '66-'69
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dlethcoe

Male Number of posts : 689
Registration date : 2012-02-19

PostSubject: Re: I feel like a thief   May 31st 2015, 8:23 am

Welcome to the group,

Dave
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JCORD

Male Number of posts : 118
Registration date : 2012-05-08

PostSubject: Re: I feel like a thief   May 31st 2015, 8:37 am

Welcome to the group.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://hood-35@att.net
OldMtnMan

Male Number of posts : 10158
Registration date : 2010-09-23

PostSubject: Re: I feel like a thief   May 31st 2015, 12:42 pm

I'm curious. What did you use for sights on the MR?

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fishunt

PostSubject: Re: I feel like a thief   June 1st 2015, 5:28 pm

Yes, open sites on the mountain rifle. With only a month before the hunt and after dialing in both of these rifles with scopes attached using 110 gr of BH 209 and the 250 grain .502 Thor tipped bullets it was much to late to start over with different rifles. I called on a gun smith that I had used in the past and he saved us. He built shims to mount the open sights on and everything fell right into place. He cut and machined a Weaver scope base and that proved to be just the amount of height needed to make it work.

Glenn
Back to top Go down
View user profile
OldMtnMan

PostSubject: Re: I feel like a thief   June 1st 2015, 5:30 pm

Ok, good job.

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 15685
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: I feel like a thief   June 1st 2015, 5:34 pm

Awesome! I'd love to see what that set up looks like. CVA really needs to make and offer open sights for the MR. Its a great rifle, lightly, good on recoil but built for a scope Suspect

Welcome to the forum as well. I am very happy that you decided to sign up and join us! It always make myself happy to hear that you learned a good portion from the forum. It just makes the forum feel so much more than what we realize.

To bad about no elk. Don't feel bad though. Down here by me, the elk hunting is only good south of Highway 12, all on private except for one place that takes 4 points to draw for a special hunting zone.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
OldMtnMan

PostSubject: Re: I feel like a thief   June 1st 2015, 5:36 pm

They'd have to start drilling the barrels for sights too. Old ones had it. New ones don't.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fishunt

PostSubject: Re: I feel like a thief   June 1st 2015, 7:00 pm

That's correct. The MR we purchased were drilled for the open sights and I asked the gentleman that day why the open sights did not come with the rifle and he said "because everybody uses a scope" which was an ok answer for Virginia. We told him we were going to Colorado and scopes and sabots were a no no. But I'm sure he just was not aware that open sights could not be used on the MR. It would be pretty simple for CVA to put a sticker or a tag on the gun stating that open sights are not an option.

Jonathan, I'll see if I have a pic of the rifle with the open sights attached but I don't think I have one. I removed the shims and sights from one of the rifles before returning them to CVA for replacement. If I can put my hands on them I'll send you a pic. Not sure exactly where they are since I moved a few months ago and everything is somewhere but I'm not sure where that may be.

Glenn
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jotjackson

Male Number of posts : 304
Registration date : 2015-01-15

PostSubject: Re: I feel like a thief   June 2nd 2015, 9:52 am

Welcome, great group of guys/gals. I have enjoyed every minute spent on this forum.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I feel like a thief   

Back to top Go down

I feel like a thief
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading! :: Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading-
Jump to: