View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 14469
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Running outta room!   June 5th 2015, 11:00 pm

With one more Hawken added to the To Do list, my room is starting to get a little full! Not even counting extra barrels I've pulled off past projects. The hawken stock with no barrel actually just needs a refinish. The barrel looks like black chrome, So I want to leave that one as it is. Very pretty shiny deep black color.

That maple stocked MR kills m every time I look at it. I want to get it finished and make it beautiful but others before it are keeping me from it. Oh well, slower the pace, the better it will look in the end. That sucker WILL get a mega shiny finish to show off the curl.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
hdvades

Number of posts : 50
Registration date : 2015-03-05

PostSubject: Re: Running outta room!   June 6th 2015, 5:47 am

Something about those MR's that I just like better over the Hawken style. I think for me it's just balanced better and has a slimmer stock also. A 15/16"x32" barrel vs 1"x28" barrel probably has a lot to do with the balance. I prefer the simple sights too. Is that top one your 58 Hawken? The barrel looks longer. Don't get me wrong, I do like the Hawkens though. The guy that built my Lancaster style flintlock had a Sharps Business Rifle in 50-90 that I always liked and the Hawken has that same heft and feel to it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Marty
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 3284
Registration date : 2009-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Running outta room!   June 6th 2015, 9:26 am

I have PLENTY of room at my house FG if you are getting cluttered with those Hawkens Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
patocazador
Site
Site

Number of posts : 5182
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Running outta room!   June 6th 2015, 10:32 am

"Variety is the spice of life."

I don't think I could do the same type of gun over and over. It would seem like working on an assembly line.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

PostSubject: Re: Running outta room!   June 6th 2015, 10:35 am

ah but they are so much fun and so many options when it comes to building them in different calibers.
Back to top Go down
conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 1247
Registration date : 2015-10-20

PostSubject: Re: Running outta room!   October 23rd 2015, 12:28 pm

You livng in Boncarbo, Colorado, watch the local paper for the farm sales.

Had a muzzleloading shop in a small town outside Estes Park CO, would hit every farm sale in the area. About 1 out of 3 had guns that someone in the family no longer wanted- TC's were one of the arms we would find all the time. Dirty uncleaned, some still loaded, usually not taken care of like we would. They would come up for sale and most folks looked at them as something they wouldn't want.

Needless to say, they went cheap, the smaller the bores were the cheaper (sometimes your the only bid). We were buying .50, .54 cal TC Hawkens for $50.00, Rend. about the same and the smaller caliber TC's in.32 cal./.36 cal. - under $50.00.

We would take our finds back to the shop and take them down, give them a good cleaning, touch up the wood and metal parts (steel wool the brass/cold blue the barrels). Most looked 100% better with just a few hours work. Then sell them all day long for the $150.00 plus range.

The customers were happy with such a deal and the best part we then sold them all the accessories $$$$. Smile

Watch for those farm sales guys, bargains can be found for big savings. cheers

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://grrwca..com/
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

PostSubject: Re: Running outta room!   October 23rd 2015, 12:45 pm

man I wish! I've gotten lucky at estate sales but the auctions around here just dont carry firearms of any kind unless its a special auction. I normally hit the Springer NM auction when they have them, but lately, its been REAL slim on anything good.
Back to top Go down
Kentucky Colonel
FML's
FML's

Male Number of posts : 1433
Registration date : 2015-10-28

PostSubject: Re: Running outta room!   November 5th 2015, 7:18 am

I keep hearing about such estate sales. 

I keep looking for them. 

I know I'll eventually find one. 

Right after I spot and photograph Bigfoot! Cool

Florida Muzzleloaders Association 
Central Florida Muzzleloaders 
Green River Rifle Works Collectors Association
NMLRA
Back to top Go down
View user profile
falcon

Male Number of posts : 1302
Registration date : 2012-05-28

PostSubject: Re: Running outta room!   November 5th 2015, 4:24 pm

FM, those are nice rifles.

You never know where the next muzzleloader will come from. While stationed in southern MD in the 1960s i worked part time as a truck and diesel mechanic for a trash service. All the employees knew i was into muzzleloaders.

One Saturday i was working on a truck. A driver came in with three old original muzzleloaders that he saw sticking out of a dumpster. All had heavy coats of grease on the metal parts. The bores were also full of grease. Cleaned up those guns and they were pristine. One was of the Hawken style, maker unknown. Another in .52 caliber was made by a gunsmith in east TN about 1920.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 1247
Registration date : 2015-10-20

PostSubject: Re: Running outta room!   November 5th 2015, 4:49 pm

My father was a friend of Turner kirkland (Union City TN) he was the guy that started Dixie Gun Works, we lived outside Phila. PA on the mainline. Once a year (can't remember if it was June or August) he would come to our house to stay while he held a swap meet at the local Safeway store (back of their parking lot). My father would arrange to have tables and chairs and an Army hospital tent setup from the National Guard. The tables would be loaded with old muzzleloaders, breech loaders and wheel barrows full of parts. Kirkland would fill that parking lot to the brim with gun nuts, buying, selling, trading for 3-4 days. Whatever was left my father and a few friends would buy and take those old guns and parts to our drive-in basement.

Months after that family and friends spend weekends going through that stuff, rebuilding guns that were missing parts and then resell what they had put together. It didn't matter if those old guns now had a different locks, barrel or wrong pieces (they were sold as wall hangers). Years later we would see some of these old clubs at gun shows with a dealer telling a customer that it was all original, we would look at each other, smile and walk away.  Rolling Eyes   Smile

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://grrwca..com/
hunting savage

Number of posts : 89
Registration date : 2014-05-03

PostSubject: Re: Running outta room!   November 6th 2015, 7:15 pm

Try using a torch to burn the wood a little they look great to me
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Running outta room!   

Back to top Go down