Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

Muzzleloading Forum

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

Murphy Law and my Bassboat...

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Marty
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Marty

Male Number of posts : 3693
Registration date : 2009-02-03

Murphy Law and my Bassboat...  Empty
PostSubject: Murphy Law and my Bassboat...    Murphy Law and my Bassboat...  EmptyJune 10th 2015, 9:31 am

Well guys ... after 21 years of being relatively problem free, Murphy's Law caught up with me during my last trip on the water.  My trolling motor stopped working, my back-up deep cycle battery is cooked, my bilge pump was intermittently working, my slow idle on my engine was being finicky, my boat started taking-on water, and last but not least... my back seat screws all pulled-off the deck because of wood rot.  Anyway, here's what I now have to repair now. Rolling Eyes
Murphy Law and my Bassboat...  20150607_165138_-_Copy1_zpsjbyqzju1

Last edited by Marty on July 18th 2017, 2:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
OldMtnMan

OldMtnMan

Male Number of posts : 10253
Registration date : 2010-09-23

PostSubject: Re: Murphy Law and my Bassboat...    Murphy Law and my Bassboat...  EmptyJune 10th 2015, 9:37 am

Break out the oars.

I'm addicted to black powder.
Back to top Go down
Smokin' Joe
Forum
Forum
Smokin' Joe

Male Number of posts : 2064
Registration date : 2011-11-23

PostSubject: Re: Murphy Law and my Bassboat...    Murphy Law and my Bassboat...  EmptyJune 10th 2015, 9:57 am

21 years problem free......I think you might have a "horse shoe" hiding in the boat somewhere.   Very Happy

Semper Fi……..
Back to top Go down
patocazador

patocazador

Number of posts : 5853
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Murphy Law and my Bassboat...    Murphy Law and my Bassboat...  EmptyJune 10th 2015, 10:08 am

Marty,

Sorry to hear about your troubles but that goes with owning boats. (I once went SCUBA diving off a boat called "The Money Funnel".)

I bought a 17' Bass Tracker back when and it worked great for about 6 years. Then the power trim went out, followed by busting the lower unit on a rock because the trim wouldn't work. Then the deck caved in after the carpet rotted away. I found that they didn't use PT plywood anywhere.
When I found out how much it would cost to re-do everything, I traded the whole thing to an 18 year old kid for a Gheenoe with a 10 HP motor plus trolling motor on a galvanized trailer plus five 20-box cases of shotgun shells.
It turned out to be the best deal I ever made. That was 25 years ago and the Gheenoe is still as good as ever. Not an ounce of wood in it and it gets me in all the narrow creeks for hunting and fishing.
In my case bigger was not better.

I wish you luck on your boat project.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
John Neslen

Number of posts : 509
Registration date : 2015-02-28

PostSubject: Re: Murphy Law and my Bassboat...    Murphy Law and my Bassboat...  EmptyJune 10th 2015, 10:35 am

Marty,

When Murphy's Law takes a 180 we see what happens, Yikes. Good luck on the repair.

Did someone turn the horseshoe upside down after 21 years?

John
Back to top Go down
Al-53

Al-53

Number of posts : 516
Registration date : 2014-12-09

PostSubject: Re: Murphy Law and my Bassboat...    Murphy Law and my Bassboat...  EmptyJune 10th 2015, 10:37 am

Marty I had to do the floors over in my bass boat also....I had to look all over for Marine plywood..I was told by many boat people to use marine plywood..  I got the plywood near Worcester..forget the name of the place ..they guy I got the boat off of used PT plywood and it rotted...

both my trolling motor batteries were dead also..had to get 2 new ones....I got 6 years out of them which is good.....

I just replaced the bilge pumps last year...
Back to top Go down
Marty
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Marty

PostSubject: Re: Murphy Law and my Bassboat...    Murphy Law and my Bassboat...  EmptyJune 10th 2015, 12:41 pm

Al-53, I too had a hard time finding marine plywood close-by!  I ended up finding some in Maynard, MA of all places.  It was $68 a sheet though for 1/2". Crying or Very sad

My bass boat lasted as long as it did because it was always stored covered and has a relatively simple design as a backtroller ..i.e., no center console.

I'll keep you all updated on my project.  Next step is to get rid of all that rotted, water-soaked foam and replace it.
Back to top Go down
patocazador

patocazador

PostSubject: Re: Murphy Law and my Bassboat...    Murphy Law and my Bassboat...  EmptyJune 10th 2015, 3:42 pm

I used Great Stuff to replace or add to my flotation. Use the low-expanding stuff or it may bulge the joints if you guess wrong on the amount.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
Al-53

Al-53

Number of posts : 516
Registration date : 2014-12-09

PostSubject: Re: Murphy Law and my Bassboat...    Murphy Law and my Bassboat...  EmptyJune 10th 2015, 5:32 pm

Marty...are your ribs welded or rivited...I had some rivets loosen up and took on a little water each trip...my boat is a Sea Nymph...great older boat...when I did the floors over I removed the foam also....and replaced it with closed cell foundation foam insulation..will never absorb water again...

I also while boat was open I got some expoxy type boat sealer paint called glovit and painted all the rivets and no leaks...I had some left over and did the rivet heads on the outside also below the water line...also if you have a wood transom check if good for soft spots...mine was good but I checked it any ways...my transom is 2 pieces of 3/4 marine plywood laminated together with a aluminum plate on top to mount the motor to...
Back to top Go down
sqezer

Male Number of posts : 1735
Registration date : 2009-11-06

PostSubject: Re: Murphy Law and my Bassboat...    Murphy Law and my Bassboat...  EmptyJune 10th 2015, 6:45 pm

Marty, it caught up to me to, my flat bottom the transom finally gave out. Just got to find time to replace it now.

biddler2

Male Number of posts : 608
Registration date : 2011-11-14

PostSubject: Re: Murphy Law and my Bassboat...    Murphy Law and my Bassboat...  EmptyJune 10th 2015, 8:50 pm

Sorry to hear your boat issues, looks like you are going about the repairs correctly to increase your next run. I had a Ranger Cherokee(actually built by Crestliner) that didn't have wood for the decks. Was nice but always had livewell issues with the boat. Upgraded to a Ranger fiberglass boat and don't have to worry about wood rotting as it doesn't have any!

Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Marty

PostSubject: Re: Murphy Law and my Bassboat...    Murphy Law and my Bassboat...  EmptyJune 11th 2015, 5:59 am

AL-53, my boat is a Sea Nymph too.  I plan to replace the foam I removed with pool noodles so no more deterioration problems down the road.  I cut the new deck out and treated the plywood with some water seal. 

Murphy Law and my Bassboat...  20150610_155705_zpsnhwu8kch

My next step is to clean the exposed aluminum bottom and seal up an visible seams.

Last edited by Marty on July 18th 2017, 2:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Smokin' Joe
Forum
Forum
Smokin' Joe

Male Number of posts : 2064
Registration date : 2011-11-23

PostSubject: Re: Murphy Law and my Bassboat...    Murphy Law and my Bassboat...  EmptyJune 11th 2015, 6:09 am

Looks good Marty.  When you're done it will probably be better than new!

Semper Fi……..
Back to top Go down
patocazador

patocazador

PostSubject: Re: Murphy Law and my Bassboat...    Murphy Law and my Bassboat...  EmptyJune 11th 2015, 10:30 am

@sqezer wrote:
Marty, it caught up to me to, my flat bottom the transom finally gave out. Just got to find time to replace it now.

There is a non-wood replacement for transoms that will never rot. My scull boat has it but I don't know the name. Mike Bankes of Bankes Boats in Port Rowan, Ontario uses it. If you contact him, he can steer you to the right stuff.

http://www.bankesboats.com/contact9.htm

Back to top Go down
Marty
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Marty

PostSubject: Re: Murphy Law and my Bassboat...    Murphy Law and my Bassboat...  EmptyJune 12th 2015, 12:54 pm

@Smokin' Joe wrote:
Looks good Marty.  When you're done it will probably be better than new!

At least the back-end will be Very Happy

-------------------------------------------------------
p.s. I hope to finish 'er-up this weekend.
Back to top Go down
sqezer

PostSubject: Re: Murphy Law and my Bassboat...    Murphy Law and my Bassboat...  EmptyJune 13th 2015, 9:06 pm

pato, thanks for the info.

FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

Male Number of posts : 16222
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: Murphy Law and my Bassboat...    Murphy Law and my Bassboat...  EmptyJune 13th 2015, 9:32 pm

good grief, you never know how much trouble they are until you own one and they break down in many areas at once.

Sorry to hear of the trouble. Just got to take your time and fix it one part at a time and then give it another good look over.
Back to top Go down
https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
Marty
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Marty

PostSubject: Re: Murphy Law and my Bassboat...    Murphy Law and my Bassboat...  EmptyJune 14th 2015, 7:35 am

Yep...one step at a time.  FINALLY got all that water=soaked foam out.
Murphy Law and my Bassboat...  20150613_123106_zpsd6uxwwqf
Murphy Law and my Bassboat...  20150613_125557_zpsbjs10na8
Murphy Law and my Bassboat...  20150613_130104_zps92x3jejr
Next step is gluing the marine rug down.

Last edited by Marty on July 19th 2017, 4:42 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
sqezer

PostSubject: Re: Murphy Law and my Bassboat...    Murphy Law and my Bassboat...  EmptyJune 15th 2015, 6:35 pm

Looks good buddy.

Jotjackson

Jotjackson

Male Number of posts : 302
Registration date : 2015-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Murphy Law and my Bassboat...    Murphy Law and my Bassboat...  EmptyJune 16th 2015, 9:17 pm

Looking good!!

Number of posts : 448
Registration date : 2009-12-31

PostSubject: Re: Murphy Law and my Bassboat...    Murphy Law and my Bassboat...  EmptyJune 19th 2015, 9:47 pm

You got her going in the right direction now, good job so far.
Back to top Go down
Marty
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Marty

PostSubject: Re: Murphy Law and my Bassboat...    Murphy Law and my Bassboat...  EmptyJune 20th 2015, 7:48 am

Thanks guys. Hope to finish up this weekend if the weather holds out. Smile
Back to top Go down
Huntin_Dawg1215

Number of posts : 448
Registration date : 2009-12-31

PostSubject: Re: Murphy Law and my Bassboat...    Murphy Law and my Bassboat...  EmptyJune 20th 2015, 8:03 pm

How's the boat going? All this talk on fishing and boat work has got me out looking for some type of racks to haul my canoe, on my Ford Ranger.
Back to top Go down
patocazador

patocazador

PostSubject: Re: Murphy Law and my Bassboat...    Murphy Law and my Bassboat...  EmptyJune 21st 2015, 9:27 am

I had a hard time loading my canoe on the topper of my F250 so I installed a boat trailer roller at the back edge. Get the nose on the roller and then pick up the stern and walk forward until it's situated properly on the racks. It cost about $30 in parts from a boat dealer.

Back to top Go down
Marty
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Marty

PostSubject: Re: Murphy Law and my Bassboat...    Murphy Law and my Bassboat...  EmptyJune 21st 2015, 9:40 am

Finished screwing down the deck yesterday.  It was tricky getting the deck under the two metal lips along each side, but I finally got it in.  I also decided to clean-up and use the original SS screws...especially the ones that attached the plywood to the two center aluminum rails.  They were specialized, flat-head self-tapping screws with fine threads.  I drilled a 0.125" pilot hole for them and they cranked-down nicely.

I will post a pic after I get the marine rug glued down and the back seat pedestal installed.  i'd like to get it back on the water ASAP.  The on-set of the summer solestIce provides us now with long fishing days. Very Happy  

----------------------------------------------------
p.s. HAPPY FATHER'S DAY TO ALL!    COUNTRY BARBECUE RIBS FOR ME TODAY  cheers
Back to top Go down

Murphy Law and my Bassboat...
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Fishing Forum :: Fishing-
Jump to: