Share | 

expensive week

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Randy Johnson

Number of posts : 182
Registration date : 2014-03-17

PostSubject: expensive week   June 19th 2015, 6:38 am

My original plans for the week of vacation that ends today was to hike most of the Appalachian Trail in Georgia. I had upgraded a lot of my gear, cutting weight by about half, and was making regular trips to Anytime Fitness, pushing myself to my limits on the treadmill and elliptical. An injury put a temporary end to the workouts, and I realized I was not going to be in the condition I needed to be to tackle the first 60+ miles of the AT in Georgia. Especially in the heat of a southern summer. 
Change of plans, plan B was go to Friendship.
Got down there and set up camp Thursday the 11th. Friday, I found out that it wouldn't be possible to pay the camp fee and register to shoot until sometime Friday afternoon. The solution was a quick trip through Commercial Row, (from which I escaped any financial damage), and a short road trip to hit some yard sales. Sans gas, the yard sales cost me two bucks. The return trip brought me past the flea market in the town of Friendship that turned out to be a free browsing session.
Saturday, I got in trouble.
Years ago, when my gun safe walked out of the house, one of the guns I lost was a really nice transitional period flintlock of a style commonly referred to as an Edward Marshal rifle. It had a short, heavily swamped barrel, and in the years I was shooting it I shot very well. When I got back into this game a few years ago I soon bought another rifle with a swamped barrel. It's a beautiful rifle, in many ways better than the EM rifle was, but I have never done real well shooting it. In my sixties, I just can't hold a long barrel steady like I used to.
My mistake was walking into Tip Curtis's booth. He had a Yeager, that while not as fancy as my Edward Marshal rifle, looked like a good replacement as far as a shooter goes. Similar heavily swamped barrel, similar style stock, identical caliber. (.54) I sighted on one of the screws holding the siding on the booth (Tip has a permanent building for his set-up) and the rifle just hung there. I had to have it.
And of course, after the gun come other expenses. Mold, bag, horn, priming horn, patch knife.......
All in all, a hike, including extraction for heat exhaustion or something similar, might have been cheaper.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hawgslayer
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Number of posts : 3701
Registration date : 2009-10-01

PostSubject: Re: expensive week   June 19th 2015, 7:24 am

Cool
Enjoy all those new toys and make a lot of smoke with that rifle. She sounds like a winner.

Ray............ t up

KEEPEM IN THE " 10 " RING   

Semper Fi...... '66-'69
Back to top Go down
View user profile
patocazador
Site
Site

Number of posts : 5245
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: expensive week   June 19th 2015, 8:42 am

I've heard that Tip has so many goodies that you can't get away without bring one home. It looks like you proved that axiom. Wink

It seems that there are less readily-available accessories for .54 than even .58. Good shooting with your new rifle. Talk nice to it and it will reward you. Sprechen sie Deutsch?

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Randy Johnson

Number of posts : 182
Registration date : 2014-03-17

PostSubject: Re: expensive week   June 19th 2015, 7:53 pm

Since I actually enjoy casting balls, "readily available" doesn't effect me much. One gun I have, a North Star West Officer's Fusil shoots a .648 ball. Try finding one of those at Wally World. (As an aside, I found a .648 Lyman mold on commercial row but I let it stay there. I have one from Jeff tanner, the Lyman was used, they wanted fifty bucks, and I bought 'em for around ten bucks for too many years.)  Patching comes from the fabric store, and I make most of the "stuff" that goes in the pouch.
I did buy a new pouch, horn, and knife. Today was spent casting .530 balls, rigging a strap for the horn, and starting on the sheath for the knife. If it isn't raining too hard tomorrow I might grab the bag for the fifty and some of my new .530s and play a little bit.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Huntin_Dawg1215

Number of posts : 419
Registration date : 2009-12-31

PostSubject: Re: expensive week   June 20th 2015, 7:44 pm

Sounds to me like you may have found some new toys. I hope you enjoy them and they give you loads of fun.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 14520
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: expensive week   June 20th 2015, 7:53 pm

We must have pictures please lol!
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
just-a-hunter