Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

Muzzleloading Forum

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

looking for a traditional muzzleloader in 50 cal

Go down 
AuthorMessage
shorthair15

Male Number of posts : 131
Registration date : 2010-06-02

looking for a traditional muzzleloader in 50 cal Empty
PostSubject: looking for a traditional muzzleloader in 50 cal   looking for a traditional muzzleloader in 50 cal EmptyJuly 3rd 2015, 10:33 pm

im leaning more towards useing a traditional gun i have 2 inlines already. haveing hard time figuring out which one to purchase. shooting mainly round balls. most say to get the 54 cal. but most of my shots are 100 yds or less. also 50 cal is easier to get bullets for. thought about getting a lyman great plains rifle in 50 cal with 1 in 60 twist. but most i have talked to said the gun is to heavy. i hunt mainly deer and elk. looking for some input. more than likely i will be purchasing the gun online as there is no place to buy a traditional gun where i live. i already have every thing i need for a 50 cal.  thank's

Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

Male Number of posts : 16318
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: looking for a traditional muzzleloader in 50 cal   looking for a traditional muzzleloader in 50 cal EmptyJuly 3rd 2015, 11:02 pm

Sent ya pics of the #9 hawken, shes so purdy and almost ready. Just waitin on the rear sight to come in.
Back to top Go down
shorthair15

PostSubject: Re: looking for a traditional muzzleloader in 50 cal   looking for a traditional muzzleloader in 50 cal EmptyJuly 4th 2015, 12:05 am

thanks jonathon i got them she is comeing along nicely. are you going to leave the front sight post silver or blue it to match the rifle? ive purchased all my stuff for a traditional muzzie. just waiting to order a powder horn could make my own but just dont have the time.

Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

PostSubject: Re: looking for a traditional muzzleloader in 50 cal   looking for a traditional muzzleloader in 50 cal EmptyJuly 4th 2015, 12:44 am

Its german silver so its going to stay silver color. If the glare is to brite, I'll normally make a sight hood out of masking tape or use a magic marker to black out the edges so it doesnt catch so much light.
Back to top Go down
OldMtnMan

OldMtnMan

Male Number of posts : 10397
Registration date : 2010-09-23

PostSubject: Re: looking for a traditional muzzleloader in 50 cal   looking for a traditional muzzleloader in 50 cal EmptyJuly 4th 2015, 6:27 am

Not to step on Jon's gun, but the .54 is a better choice for a PRB at 100yds. Not that a .50 won't do the job, but the .54 does a better job.

Nothing hard about getting supplies for a .54 if you're talking about online.

http://www.octobercountry.com/

I'm addicted to black powder.
Back to top Go down
Randy Johnson

Number of posts : 235
Registration date : 2014-03-17

PostSubject: Re: looking for a traditional muzzleloader in 50 cal   looking for a traditional muzzleloader in 50 cal EmptyJuly 4th 2015, 6:54 am

@shorthair15 wrote:
im leaning more towards useing a traditional gun i have 2 inlines already. haveing hard time figuring out which one to purchase. shooting mainly round balls. most say to get the 54 cal. but most of my shots are 100 yds or less. also 50 cal is easier to get bullets for. thought about getting a lyman great plains rifle in 50 cal with 1 in 60 twist. but most i have talked to said the gun is to heavy. i hunt mainly deer and elk. looking for some input. more than likely i will be purchasing the gun online as there is no place to buy a traditional gun where i live. i already have every thing i need for a 50 cal.  thank's

They don't have elk where I live - yet - but I would think .54 is about the basement for elk.
A Lee .530 mold will be under $25 delivered to your door step. A few visits to flea markets or yard sales will yield a cast iron ladle with a cast-in pouring spout for cheap, and even if you have to buy lead, it's cheaper than shelling out the big bucks for swaged ball from Hornady or Speer. Anything else you need is available from Track of the Wolf. Disclaimer. I use a bottom pour furnace. But in my early years in this game, at least the first decade, casting round balls was required for anything that wouldn't accept buckshot. Most of that time I used the ladle and hotplate method. And I cast thousands of different sized roundballs and Minnie balls using the system.
Depending on how much you want to spend, TOW can also be a great place to buy the gun - if - you want something a little more authentic than the run-of-the-mill production rifle. The difference between an authentically styled Hawken and even a Lyman GPR is the difference between a 65 Ford Mustang and a 73 Pinto. I have handled a few Great Plains Rifles and don't remember them being all that heavy. If you are shooting stout loads, heavy is your friend.
Yesterday I shot my new .54 for the first time. I have been shooting a long-barreled .50 for a few years and the new gun is a short barreled .54. Both guns are flintlock. I shoot 60 grains 3f in the .50. For the .54, I boosted it up to 70. The difference in recoil was noticeable. So was the report. Both may be due to the shorter barrel, although the shorter barrel might actually be heavier. But anyway, off the bench at 25 yards, four of the first five shots were touching each other, make a single ragged hole. The fifth and final shot was an oops, although still close. I ain't messing with the charge. Judging from the damage done at the backstop it would kill anything that gets in the way. Most people shoot way too much powder.
Back to top Go down
OldMtnMan

OldMtnMan

PostSubject: Re: looking for a traditional muzzleloader in 50 cal   looking for a traditional muzzleloader in 50 cal EmptyJuly 4th 2015, 7:03 am

TOW prices are too high for everything. The link I gave has better prices, and .54 cast balls are $10 a hundred. I've used them, and they are very consistent in weight.

btw A .54 ball will blow right through an elk.

Back to top Go down
Standing Bear

Standing Bear

Male Number of posts : 233
Registration date : 2014-01-30

PostSubject: Re: looking for a traditional muzzleloader in 50 cal   looking for a traditional muzzleloader in 50 cal EmptyJuly 4th 2015, 9:05 am

I don't think a GPR is heavy. You may or may not.

I agree on the .54 over .50. For Whitetails only the .50 is good. Bigger game bigger ball. Kinda like a .338 Win vs a .270 Win. Yep lots of elk killed w a .270 and if a .50 or .270 were all I had Ok. But I have a .54 and a .338 and either will also take whitetail. A lot of whitetail have been killed w .22 LR but not recommended.

Just my thinkin'.
TC
Back to top Go down
OldMtnMan

OldMtnMan

PostSubject: Re: looking for a traditional muzzleloader in 50 cal   looking for a traditional muzzleloader in 50 cal EmptyJuly 4th 2015, 9:43 am

Been killing elk all my life with a 30-30 before switching to a muzzy. Keep the shots close in the lungs, and dead elk.

Back to top Go down
hawgslayer

hawgslayer

Number of posts : 3690
Registration date : 2009-10-01

PostSubject: Re: looking for a traditional muzzleloader in 50 cal   looking for a traditional muzzleloader in 50 cal EmptyJuly 4th 2015, 9:43 am

Get a .58 cal and your worries are over for all the game including the T-REX. :rtup

Ray........... :suhlute

KEEPEM IN THE " 10 " RING   

Semper Fi...... '66-'69
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

PostSubject: Re: looking for a traditional muzzleloader in 50 cal   looking for a traditional muzzleloader in 50 cal EmptyJuly 4th 2015, 11:00 am

Believe it or not, the 54cal holds more energy over the 58. Its not a whole lot of difference but its just interesting how the 54 is actually the better caliber # wise when comparing.

Back to top Go down
hawgslayer

hawgslayer

Number of posts : 3690
Registration date : 2009-10-01

PostSubject: Re: looking for a traditional muzzleloader in 50 cal   looking for a traditional muzzleloader in 50 cal EmptyJuly 4th 2015, 2:33 pm

scratch

What's the weight on that .54 cal Question I'm pretty sure the .58 weights in at 277/280 grains per lead ball. It's not how fast it will get there. What counts is whats hitting you. I think it would hurt more for that brilliant of a second to get hit with a semi as apposed  to a VW. IMHO of course. Very Happy (Bottom line, your dead either way).

Ray.......... :suhlute

KEEPEM IN THE " 10 " RING   

Semper Fi...... '66-'69
Back to top Go down
shorthair15

PostSubject: Re: looking for a traditional muzzleloader in 50 cal   looking for a traditional muzzleloader in 50 cal EmptyJuly 4th 2015, 3:02 pm

im going with a 54 cal. shot a 4 point elk with a 300 ultra mag a couple years ago by my house live in roosvelt country. im going with the 54 cal from frontier gander just waiting on it to be finished. will be hard to find a gun with  all the work he puts into them for what he usually sells them for. going to get a flintlock next to play with.

Back to top Go down
Standing Bear

Standing Bear

Male Number of posts : 233
Registration date : 2014-01-30

PostSubject: Re: looking for a traditional muzzleloader in 50 cal   looking for a traditional muzzleloader in 50 cal EmptyJuly 4th 2015, 3:22 pm

My .535 PRBs weigh 230 gr.
TC
Back to top Go down
OldMtnMan

OldMtnMan

PostSubject: Re: looking for a traditional muzzleloader in 50 cal   looking for a traditional muzzleloader in 50 cal EmptyJuly 4th 2015, 3:24 pm

@hawgslayer wrote:
scratch

What's the weight on that .54 cal Question I'm pretty sure the .58 weights in at 277/280 grains per lead ball. It's not how fast it will get there. What counts is whats hitting you. I think it would hurt more for that brilliant of a second to get hit with a semi as apposed  to a VW. IMHO of course. Very Happy (Bottom line, your dead either way).

Ray.......... :suhlute

Speed definitely helps Ray. For the .58 to be more effective than the .54 you need to use a lot more powder to get it going as fast as the .54. Then recoil gets ugly.

Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

PostSubject: Re: looking for a traditional muzzleloader in 50 cal   looking for a traditional muzzleloader in 50 cal EmptyJuly 4th 2015, 4:03 pm

54cal .530 ball is 223-224 grains Ray.

Pete, come on! 120gr Olde Eynsford 2fg isn't THAT bad.
Back to top Go down
OldMtnMan

OldMtnMan

PostSubject: Re: looking for a traditional muzzleloader in 50 cal   looking for a traditional muzzleloader in 50 cal EmptyJuly 4th 2015, 5:00 pm

Yes, but think what you'd have to use in the .58 if you used that load for a .54. Then it would be ugly.  Wink

Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

PostSubject: Re: looking for a traditional muzzleloader in 50 cal   looking for a traditional muzzleloader in 50 cal EmptyJuly 4th 2015, 5:16 pm

I have used that 120gr OE load in my 58 and its not that bad. Normally loads like that hurt when you are not set up properly on the table. It actually feels better off hand or shooting sticks.
Back to top Go down
OldMtnMan

OldMtnMan

PostSubject: Re: looking for a traditional muzzleloader in 50 cal   looking for a traditional muzzleloader in 50 cal EmptyJuly 4th 2015, 8:00 pm

Not what I meant. What if you used the 120gr of OE in the .54? How much would you have to use in the .58 to outperform the .54?

Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

PostSubject: Re: looking for a traditional muzzleloader in 50 cal   looking for a traditional muzzleloader in 50 cal EmptyJuly 4th 2015, 8:09 pm

No clue, smaller calibers build more pressure. You see folks recommending a 45cal to a small shooter and its like... why? I shot a 45cal with 90gr bh209 and a 300gr powerbelt. That sucker kicked the snot out of me VS my 50cal with the same load. Higher pressure build up.
Back to top Go down
screamin

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2015-06-13

PostSubject: Re: looking for a traditional muzzleloader in 50 cal   looking for a traditional muzzleloader in 50 cal EmptyJuly 5th 2015, 9:30 pm

I would, and did, go with a 54 cal Lyman Trade Rifle. Weighs 8 lbs, 28" barrel, tack driving accuracy once you find what it likes. The 54 Lyman Deerstalker ain't bad either. Check Midsouth, best price I ever found.
Back to top Go down
Hanshi

Hanshi

Male Number of posts : 346
Registration date : 2015-01-21

PostSubject: Re: looking for a traditional muzzleloader in 50 cal   looking for a traditional muzzleloader in 50 cal EmptyAugust 21st 2015, 4:13 pm

Recoil is more a function of bullet weight than velocity.  A .54 can go 1700fps and not kick as bad as a similar rifle in .58 at 1500fps.  I proved this to my satisfaction years ago with centerfire and then with front loaders.  There is a tipping point, however, where velocity is low enough that recoil subsides a bit.  My .62 smoothbore at 1150fps kicks way more than my .50 at 1700fps.  That's a 330grn ball vs a 176grn ball.  My .50 is a featherweight and the smoothbore is rather substantial in weight.

I have a .54 that weighs 9.5 lbs.  It's a bruiser at 1700fps while the featherweight .50 at 1700fps is much milder in the pushback.
Back to top Go down
http://www.martialartsusa.com
patocazador

patocazador

Number of posts : 5852
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: looking for a traditional muzzleloader in 50 cal   looking for a traditional muzzleloader in 50 cal EmptyAugust 21st 2015, 5:02 pm

There's a .54 cal New Englander for sale in the Classified section. It is being offered by a member here, CoHiCntry.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
CoHiCntry
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
CoHiCntry

Male Number of posts : 334
Registration date : 2013-10-01

PostSubject: Re: looking for a traditional muzzleloader in 50 cal   looking for a traditional muzzleloader in 50 cal EmptyAugust 22nd 2015, 7:41 am

@patocazador wrote:
There's a .54 cal New Englander for sale in the Classified section. It is being offered by a member here, CoHiCntry.
I got a .50 cal Hawken for sale too...  Cool
Back to top Go down

looking for a traditional muzzleloader in 50 cal
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Traditional Muzzleloading-
Jump to: