Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

Muzzleloading Forum

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

Nikon Inline XR

Go down 
AuthorMessage
d91

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2015-07-30

Nikon Inline XR Empty
PostSubject: Nikon Inline XR   Nikon Inline XR EmptyJuly 30th 2015, 9:56 pm

If you are looking for a scope that is not 400 bucks, give this one a try. I replace the POJ Konus that came with my new Optima V2. I really like the Nikon. The image is almost as good as my Leupold VX-II. The eye relief is awesome... nearly 5"
Back to top Go down
hawgslayer

hawgslayer

Number of posts : 3691
Registration date : 2009-10-01

Nikon Inline XR Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nikon Inline XR   Nikon Inline XR EmptyJuly 31st 2015, 9:43 am

cheers cheers

WELCOME ABOARD d91. Glad you joined the group.

Ray

KEEPEM IN THE " 10 " RING   

Semper Fi...... '66-'69
Back to top Go down
Archibear

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2015-08-24

Nikon Inline XR Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nikon Inline XR   Nikon Inline XR EmptyAugust 26th 2015, 10:15 am

I was looking at this Nikon and wondered if it was any good. Also I was looking at Konus and wondered if they were a reasonable scope.  Sounds like ditch the Konus and go with the very reasonably priced Nikon.

Anyone have suggestion on a good mount-rings that will allow me to use my open sights at the same time?
Knight MK-85 with Williams back sight and front peep sight.
Back to top Go down
Marty
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Marty

Male Number of posts : 3654
Registration date : 2009-02-03

Nikon Inline XR Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nikon Inline XR   Nikon Inline XR EmptyAugust 26th 2015, 3:56 pm

I have a Nikon on one of my smokers. Great optics.
Back to top Go down
Tony

Tony

Male Number of posts : 581
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Nikon Inline XR Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nikon Inline XR   Nikon Inline XR EmptyAugust 27th 2015, 9:00 am

I've owned a Nikon Omega now named the XR but mine had the Nikoplex reticle.  Great scope.  Held up on two muzzleloaders and a hard kicking Ultra Slug gun.  Never failed, always tracked dead on and held zero.  Tons of eye relief. Only downside to the scope was that it didn't bring in an abundance of light early in the morning, but that's a trade off for the long eye relief.  I definitely recommend the scope.  I like it much better than the konus.  In fact, my old Nikon resides on my nephew's MR.  Still going strong.

Harvester Smooth Sabot
100 gr. BH209-Win 209 Primer

Leupold VX-3 3.5-10x40 CDS
Back to top Go down
Marty
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Marty

Nikon Inline XR Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nikon Inline XR   Nikon Inline XR EmptyAugust 27th 2015, 2:02 pm

Tony, whether it makes a difference or not, I have a 50mm objective on my Nikon and it seems to transmit plenty of light under low light conditions.
Back to top Go down
Tony

Tony

Male Number of posts : 581
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Nikon Inline XR Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nikon Inline XR   Nikon Inline XR EmptyAugust 28th 2015, 6:28 am

I've had a few Nikon scopes and I agree with you.  They transmit plenty of light.  Probably some of the best optics I've owned.  But the Inline XR with it's five inch eye relief just doesn't do well in low light situations to me.  I had a small buck come in a few years back that I could see with my eyes and wanted to check him out with my Nikon Omega (renamed Inline XR) scope. I couldn't even make out the deer much less check out his rack.  I found out later that having the long eye relief reduces the amount of light that gets to your eye.  The other Nikon scopes I've owned, I didn't have that problem, but they had 3.5" eye relief.

Harvester Smooth Sabot
100 gr. BH209-Win 209 Primer

Leupold VX-3 3.5-10x40 CDS
Back to top Go down
Marty
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Marty

Nikon Inline XR Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nikon Inline XR   Nikon Inline XR EmptyAugust 28th 2015, 6:55 am

Could be the difference Tony.  My Nikon has an eye relief of 3.6 inches.
Back to top Go down
redear

Number of posts : 73
Registration date : 2016-12-12

Nikon Inline XR Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nikon Inline XR   Nikon Inline XR EmptyNovember 27th 2017, 1:02 am

I know this is an older thread but I purchased one of these scopes for my cva wolf, I love it for the eye relief and I don't pay any attention to the circles on the cross hairs. I shot a buck in a cut corn field this season at 187 yds. and it was definitely getting dark, I don't know what Nikon coats their lenses with but they are just great for my eyes. I have a vortex diamondback 3x9x40 on my slug gun and it seems the Nikon shows more contrast of colors or something that allows me to see better when light gets low. The older omega scope, I have never used but I saw one on a guys gun and it seems to be shorter than the xr, I may be wrong. I do hunt fields only being disabled and can not walk very well so I can't speak to how it will do in the woods. for a week now I have been using the slug gun and vortex scope and I really am missing the Nikon. muzzleloader season is only 2 weeks in my county.
Back to top Go down
redear

Number of posts : 73
Registration date : 2016-12-12

Nikon Inline XR Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nikon Inline XR   Nikon Inline XR EmptyNovember 27th 2017, 1:05 am

the Nikons do have a narrower field of view than some others too, but for my hunting in fields I have plenty of time to find the deer in the scope, lol.
Back to top Go down
hunting savage

Number of posts : 161
Registration date : 2014-05-03

Nikon Inline XR Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nikon Inline XR   Nikon Inline XR EmptyNovember 27th 2017, 6:57 am

THEY ARE GREAT THEY ARE
Back to top Go down
Smokin' Joe
Forum
Forum
Smokin' Joe

Male Number of posts : 2057
Registration date : 2011-11-23

Nikon Inline XR Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nikon Inline XR   Nikon Inline XR EmptyNovember 27th 2017, 8:01 am

I agree with d91!  I've had a few Nikon Prostaffs and I like the scopes a lot.  My last purchase was the 2-8x32 Nikon Monarch 3 for my CVA Accura MR.  Nice field of view.  My shooting is in pretty thick cover most of the time so I like the wider field of view.  I would recommend a Nikon anytime.

Semper Fi……..
Back to top Go down

Nikon Inline XR
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Optics-
Jump to: