Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

MUZZLELOADING FORUM

HomeGalleryFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Ads

Share | 

Preferred granulation of Black Powder

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Clyde

Number of posts : 372
Registration date : 2011-11-27

PostSubject: Preferred granulation of Black Powder   August 24th 2015, 4:49 pm

What is everybodies choice of FF or FFF for Black powder in a 50 cal sidelock it will be Olde Eynsford brand .
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 15450
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: Preferred granulation of Black Powder   August 24th 2015, 5:07 pm

2fg for sure. 3fg is pretty damn hot as its a very fine granulation powder. That's all ive been shooting in my .58cal for all my target and shooting videos.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
patocazador

Number of posts : 5862
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Preferred granulation of Black Powder   August 24th 2015, 5:59 pm

A .50 cal can use either. Just cut down the charge by about 10% if you use 3F.
The best thing to do is see which is the most accurate in your gun.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 15450
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: Preferred granulation of Black Powder   August 24th 2015, 6:07 pm

with OE you'll cut it back 15 to 20 grains, its very powerful stuff!
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
Standing Bear

Male Number of posts : 233
Registration date : 2014-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Preferred granulation of Black Powder   August 24th 2015, 7:12 pm

I prefer Goex FFg in all my MLs but that is available and what they are sighted in for. On a trip this summer I ran out and could only locate OE 1 1/2. Couldn't tell any difference in my .40 flintlock. still had plenty of FFFFg for prime.
TC
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Smokin' Joe

Male Number of posts : 2000
Registration date : 2011-11-23

PostSubject: Re: Preferred granulation of Black Powder   September 21st 2015, 6:36 pm

I use FFg in my .54 and .58 and my brother uses it in his .50cal.  It goes boom very quick!!  I use FFFFg for prime.

Semper Fi……..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buck Conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 2647
Registration date : 2015-10-20

PostSubject: Re: Preferred granulation of Black Powder   October 20th 2015, 8:44 pm

@FrontierGander wrote:
2fg for sure. 3fg is pretty damn hot as its a very fine granulation powder. That's all ive been shooting in my .58cal for all my target and shooting videos.

I've shot Goex for 30-40 years, purchased the brand when they were first advertised in Muzzle Blasts. Use to have cans of FFG, FFFG, FFFFG sitting in the powder magazine, then decided to get rid of everything but FFFG and adjust my loads for calibers from .32 to .62, even use it to prime with as all I shoot are flint guns. When asked about my load I get the usual head shakes, some need to follow the rules of using the different granulations.

I'm lazy, so I adjust my powder charges for using only one powder. The easiest way I have found and keep things straight anymore is having individual shooting bags for each gun. Everything needed for that firearm, with powder measurers made for the load for that caliber gun was found to be the safest way. Don't get old - playing with black powder can be harmful if you screw up, Amen.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://grrwca..com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Preferred granulation of Black Powder   

Back to top Go down

Preferred granulation of Black Powder
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Powder Room-
Jump to: