Share | 

Why Do They Do This?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
oneshot 1

Number of posts : 266
Registration date : 2012-04-23

PostSubject: Why Do They Do This?   September 1st 2015, 10:43 am

Ok my Sidelocks are very clean other than few scratches on the Stocks.

Like the other day I've seen so many rifles that were corroded , pitted, lose parts. Yes I realize things happen if a Firearm is used but come on. Been on hunts have Guys laugh at me come in before eating shooting the bull or what ever I'm cleaning my Rifle, done this for over 40 years and don't plan to stop.

Got a Shotgun, Nipples were froze on it, left Barrel wouldn't fire, he had no idea how to care for it. Got it off him Cheap and actually it was in pretty good shape considering. Killed plenty of Game with it.

Plus if my rifles set couple months I'm checking them over.

oneshot
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear Claw

Male Number of posts : 9568
Registration date : 2010-09-23

PostSubject: Re: Why Do They Do This?   September 1st 2015, 11:12 am

Some guys are idiots. No other reason than that.

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RonC
FML's
FML's

Male Number of posts : 872
Registration date : 2013-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Why Do They Do This?   September 1st 2015, 11:57 am

Sometimes I think I am overly compulsive in cleaning my muzzleloaders.
I do a water/soap wash in the field after shooting. Then, I do a complete rifle cleaning when I get home, including taking out the lock and cleaning the internals.
The good part is that my rifles and pistols look ultimate even after several years of shooting.
Ron

just-a-hunter
FML's
FML's

Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2015-06-20

PostSubject: Re: Why Do They Do This?   September 1st 2015, 12:58 pm

I ruined a barrel once when I was young and ignorant. I didn't know burnt pyrodex would turn my bore into a cheese grater. Ignorance is a huge part of it.

Todd
Back to top Go down
View user profile
falcon

Male Number of posts : 1337
Registration date : 2012-05-28

PostSubject: Re: Why Do They Do This?   September 4th 2015, 5:14 am

Black powder fouling will ruin a gun barrel, Pyrodex fouling will ruin it a little faster. i see several ruined muzzleloaders every year: Hunters bring them to me to be "fixed".

Saw a gun last year that was ruined by storage in a lined gun case. Looked like it was put in the case while wet.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
forrestjr

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2015-02-21

PostSubject: Re: Why Do They Do This?   September 15th 2015, 6:43 pm

1. Ignorance

2. Nobody took the time to teach them any difference. their center fire guns are probably just as bad.
   so why not take them under your wing and teach them, after all somebody taught you.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear Claw

Male Number of posts : 9568
Registration date : 2010-09-23

PostSubject: Re: Why Do They Do This?   September 15th 2015, 8:25 pm

Sorry, but some guys just don't care. Everybody else clean their guns.

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bob308

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2015-08-27

PostSubject: Re: Why Do They Do This?   September 30th 2015, 7:27 pm

in reality about half or more should not be allowed to own guns in any form. they don't know or care to know how to take care of them. I have seen modern center fire rifles so fouled they would not stay on a paper plate at 50 yds.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buck Conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 1603
Registration date : 2015-10-20

PostSubject: Re: Why Do They Do This?   October 25th 2015, 3:03 pm

I have a brother-in-law that had hunted 5 years previous, then remembered he left the muzzlelaoder un-cleaned. Here it comes, wanting me to do something with it, this has happened twice. Embarassed

Then I decided to teach him a lesson, told him the barrel was junk he needed a new TC barrel. He agreed and I pickup a new barrel for him. Now he's cleaning between shots on a regular bases. Lesson learned...

Now I have a used TC .50 cal. barrel (that's fine) that no one knows about until now... Rolling Eyes   Smile

Site
Site

Number of posts : 5374
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Why Do They Do This?   October 25th 2015, 6:29 pm

nono
What if he reads this forum?

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buck Conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: Why Do They Do This?   October 26th 2015, 6:20 am

Then I'll remind him of all the times I bailed him out of trouble with many of his projects.

FML's
FML's

Male Number of posts : 1512
Registration date : 2015-10-28

PostSubject: Re: Why Do They Do This?   October 29th 2015, 3:37 am

Some of us are surrounded by non-shooters. You can't learn from people who are not around to teach. 

If it were not for the matches I go to and some willing old-timers, I would still not know how to clean a 
lock and change a main spring. There are a lot of things I would like to know, but lack people close to me 
to apply hands on training.

And, then there is just stupid... Very Happy

“Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it.” 
― Robert A. HeinleinTime Enough for Love
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buck Conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: Why Do They Do This?   October 29th 2015, 7:09 am

My family have been antique arms collectors for over 150 years. At one time together we had over 400 weapons. I would come home every evening after working 10 days and clean one firearm each day around the calendar. This went on for 25-30 years after most members had passed on. I got to the point my hands were in such bad shape the doctors figured out it was the cleaning solvents my hands were in every day. That's 365 days a year I was cleaning a gun.

Finally about 10 years ago I started getting tables at gun shows and selling what I had no interest in; Civil War to today's war firearms and misc. related pieces. I would take 30-40 guns to each show and sell everything, then come home with a half dozen I traded for, crap I'm still cleaning guns, just not as many. It took the past 10 years to get down to just 85% or better original - NRA excellent to fine condition arms. I decided to collect only the best flinters we could afford and have a dozen or less, that's were I'm at now. I still hunt with a few reproductions like my GRRW .54 cal flint Leman, a custom SXS in 20 ga. and a Caywood .40 cal Pennsylvania long rifle. The originals are kept cleaned oiled and in a climate controlled room and safe and I still check them weekly (old habits are hard to stop).

Now my neighbors show up with questions about their guns, or what they are thinking about purchasing to what my take on the weapon is. Then Cabelas sends their customers over to have me tell them what they have and place a value on the weapon for insurance purposes. I have retired a half dozen times and still can't get away from weapons.

My father was a collector as was the rest of the families, at around 5 years of age I wanted a Gene Audrey cap gun set. My father said he would not buy scrap metal toys! He goes to his gun room and then to the shop, an hour later he hands me an original numbers not matching 1849 Colt pocket revolver and a box of caps. His answer for me playing Cowboys & Indians. He had plugged the nipples to be safe, yet easy enough to replace them when I had gotten older. Sounds neat but I had 5 shots while my friends had those damn rolls of caps, needless to say I was always the first one to get killed or captured. Man I wanted one of those cap guns ....

FML's
FML's

Male Number of posts : 1512
Registration date : 2015-10-28

PostSubject: Re: Why Do They Do This?   October 30th 2015, 9:19 am

Buck Conner, you are the kind of person I meant by the 'teaching' guys at the range. Of course people won't let you retire! Your stories can not be replaced. Your knowledge is decades deep; the kind you get by living it and not just reading about it. You just shared some great story!

I really wonder what will happen to the sport when more of you have gone. (Cabela's sending customers to you... really? Train some staff up! I should not know more than your 'professionals!') 

We have lost a couple members this last year and they took decades of know-how with them. Plus, they were fine gentlemen that had a sense of humor and were fun to be on the line with.

I am 50-ish. I am one of the 'youngsters' at the matches. (Where are the real kids? They need to be here!) 

I listen a LOT cause I am a babe in the woods compared to most of these guys. And, occasionally, I get to pick up neat accessories because these are craftsmen, too. They still make and sell stuff! (Chuckles) One guy brought in his hand-made black powder cannon! These are skills I will never have.

Two pics I will share because I got these from guys I like at matches.

First, a hand turned rod handle made from the heart of a Black Palm. One of a kind. It has a great and distinctive feel to it. Oh, and I actually won this one by winning a trade blanket match. I knew what I wanted immediately!

Second, a flintlock powder pan dispenser in hardwood. I will get to use this for the first time this month. Each was individually handmade and each unique.

All this is fun! And, you pick up little important hints... like, 'Hey! Why are you bringing a fowled rifle to the range! Don't you know how to clean it?' LOL I love that it is not spoken, but grunted, shown with body language, and some pointed tsk, tsk, tsking. Plus, some of the guys are cleaning at the range as soon as firing is done. If you have half a brain, you get the message and some entertainment to boot!

Florida Muzzleloaders Association 
Central Florida Muzzleloaders 
Green River Rifle Works Collectors Association
NMLRA
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buck Conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: Why Do They Do This?   October 30th 2015, 11:50 am

@Kentucky Colonel wrote:
Buck Conner, you are the kind of person I meant by the 'teaching' guys at the range. Of course people won't let you retire! Your stories can not be replaced. Your knowledge is decades deep; the kind you get by living it and not just reading about it. You just shared some great story!

I really wonder what will happen to the sport when more of you have gone. (Cabela's sending customers to you... really? Train some staff up! I should not know more than your 'professionals!') 

We have lost a couple members this last year and they took decades of know-how with them. Plus, they were fine gentlemen that had a sense of humor and were fun to be on the line with.

Holy Cow, now you have me hiding under a rock, being embarrassed to show my face.

Not really it takes a lot more than your kind remarks Sir, and seeing how pissing matches are not allowed here (that's a good thing). Some websites are full of guys looking for a fight, nobody needs that baloney, we are here to share and learn. No one knows it all, even though they think they do.

I have been very lucky and probably luckier than most with a family involved in collecting antiques. My father said "if you could keep spit, someone would have a collection of important folks that did such things". That a "No Shit" comment, he collected everything but that....  And with personal friends like Turn Kirkland [Dixie Gun Works], Charles E. Hanson, Jr. [Museum of the Fur Trade], Jack Lewis [well know collector of flintlocks] and being an officer in the "Ohio Gun Collectors Association", I had a good knowledge at an early age. Fun, but can be very expensive.

Thank you again for your kind comments, I need to get back to writing as the boss here wants more articles.

PostSubject: Re: Why Do They Do This?   

Back to top Go down

Why Do They Do This?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Traditional Muzzleloading-
Jump to: