Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

Muzzleloading Forum

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

No round balls the right size so I improvised.

Go down 
AuthorMessage
patocazador

patocazador

Number of posts : 5852
Registration date : 2012-08-22

No round balls the right size so I improvised. Empty
PostSubject: No round balls the right size so I improvised.   No round balls the right size so I improvised. Empty2015-09-25, 11:05

I wanted to shoot the .54 I bought for my son-in-law but had nothing in .54 cal. soooo .. I cut some patches out of an old pair of jeans and miked them @ .036". 'Good enough for guesswork' so I lubed them with mink oil and got out some .490 balls and "Voila", it worked.
I held on the bullseye at 25 yds. and shot offhand. The 3 shots from a clean barrel were all 2" from the bull at 2:00 while the 2 dirty-bore ones were 5" off at 2:00.

I was amazed that there was that much consistency with an under-sized ball.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

Male Number of posts : 16345
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: No round balls the right size so I improvised.   No round balls the right size so I improvised. Empty2015-09-25, 11:18

wow, that is a huge surprise! I did a 54cal ball in a 58 but thats not a huge huge difference in ball size.
Back to top Go down
patocazador

patocazador

Number of posts : 5852
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: No round balls the right size so I improvised.   No round balls the right size so I improvised. Empty2015-09-25, 11:34

I didn't mic the barrel but I had a lot of trouble seating the ball and thick patch in a dirty bore. I had to pound it down to make sure it was seated.
That T/C bore may be on the tight side.

UPDATE: I just went out and shot 2 more .490 balls. Results are about the same. You can guess which one was with a dirty barrel. (65 gr. of Graf FFG black powder) The patches were cut on one edge of the ball. Maybe I should polish the bore????

No round balls the right size so I improvised. .54%20with%20.490%20bWEB_zpshwdznnlc

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down

No round balls the right size so I improvised.
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Traditional Muzzleloading-
Jump to: