Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

MUZZLELOADING FORUM

HomeGalleryFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Ads

Share | 

Olde Enysford

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Clyde

Number of posts : 372
Registration date : 2011-11-27

PostSubject: Olde Enysford   October 14th 2015, 7:04 am

Ok, so I have 4 lbs on the way from Graf and Sons.  Could I get some help I'm looking for a good starting load with either a sabotted load for my one non-Blackhorn 209 inline and a good starting load for my 1/48 twist sidelock with either a conical or 250-260 gr sabot the Traditions deer hunter is scope capable and likes sabots.  

From what I've read here and other places this seems for a Bp to be cleaner than Goex which I tried in the early 90's, is this true ?

If anybody uses the Hornady Great Plains bullet will a 1/48 twist stabilize the bullet ?

As always thanks for the help .
Back to top Go down
View user profile
OldMtnMan

Male Number of posts : 10158
Registration date : 2010-09-23

PostSubject: Re: Olde Enysford   October 14th 2015, 7:58 am

You can start with 100gr in the inlines, and adjust from there. Maybe start with 80gr in the sidelock, and adjust for best accuracy.

Yes, OE is a bit cleaner than regular Goex, but it's still a black powder, and is dirty compared to the subs.

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Clyde

PostSubject: Re: Olde Enysford   October 14th 2015, 8:17 am

Thanks Pete how about compression, cleaning any issues,  more importantly if I like this more than 777 which I've never really had consistent groups from, how would I dress the bore prior to hunting ?  In Delaware we can have upper 70's( we had 80's on first day this year ) and humidity, and I realize BP is hydroscopic .  Thanks again.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
OldMtnMan

PostSubject: Re: Olde Enysford   October 14th 2015, 8:28 am

Medium compression. The important part is to be consistent on the compression. Find a way to do it the same everytime.

Cleaning is simple with soap and water, or one of the many BP cleaning products. Even Windex works good. I like to flush with soap and water on sidelocks, so the breech channel gets clean.

As for the bore during hunting. It's no corrosive until it's fired. I always try to hunt with a clean bore if the gun will let me. Some shoot well with a clean bore, and some don't. If you have to hunt with a fouled bore i'd shoot it out every night. That's me, but others might leave it fouled longer.

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 15450
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: Olde Enysford   October 14th 2015, 7:58 pm

@Clyde wrote:
Ok, so I have 4 lbs on the way from Graf and Sons.  Could I get some help I'm looking for a good starting load with either a sabotted load for my one non-Blackhorn 209 inline and a good starting load for my 1/48 twist sidelock with either a conical or 250-260 gr sabot the Traditions deer hunter is scope capable and likes sabots.  

From what I've read here and other places this seems for a Bp to be cleaner than Goex which I tried in the early 90's, is this true ?

If anybody uses the Hornady Great Plains bullet will a 1/48 twist stabilize the bullet ?

As always thanks for the help .

I personally would start off with 80gr OE and give that a try.

The inline, 90gr OE and go from there. Its powerful stuff so you may just have to do some playing around with the loads to find the right match.

Medium as Pete said. Once the bullet hits the powder, just a little arm strength into the ramrod or range rod for consistent seating pressure.

It does burn cleaner but like all black powder and subs, its best to clean between shot for best target accuracy when working up loads.

385gr GP will stabilize just fine. I've shot up to 450gr in a 1:48 with no problem.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
Standing Bear

Male Number of posts : 233
Registration date : 2014-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Olde Enysford   October 14th 2015, 9:49 pm

I had to use some OE this summer. I didn't find it cleaner than my regular Goex and it certainly costs more. Still have about 1/4 lb. guess I'll find something to use it for.

An answer to a problem that doesn't exist. IMO just a marketing creation directed toward those that think something more expensive must be better. Better for whom? :tdown2

Last edited by Standing Bear on October 14th 2015, 9:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

PostSubject: Re: Olde Enysford   October 14th 2015, 9:51 pm

run it over a chrony and you'll see the big difference. I find the fouling to be quite a bit cleaner but its the power that makes it a better way to go. I can use 10 grains less of OE vs Goex and get the same velocity.
Back to top Go down
Standing Bear

Male Number of posts : 233
Registration date : 2014-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Olde Enysford   October 14th 2015, 10:12 pm

10 gr less for the same velocity but that is only 10% of a 100 gr load.  There was more than 10% difference in cost.  I really didn't see any difference in cleanliness or should I say dirtiness.  I was using Frontier Lube and wiping between shots in a 40 shot silhouette match.

No reason to change IMO.
TC
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

PostSubject: Re: Olde Enysford   October 14th 2015, 10:55 pm

im probably just a little more pickier as my 58 really eats the stuff up nicely lol. I'd rather spend the extra though. It kinda goes like BH209 vs t7 with the inline crowd.
Back to top Go down
OldMtnMan

PostSubject: Re: Olde Enysford   October 15th 2015, 7:46 am

There's little doubt that OE burns cleaner. It uses the same charcoal from Alder wood that Swiss powder does.

It's also very close to the same power as Swiss powder. 

OE cost only $1.50 lb more than regular Goex, but it's $6.50lb cheaper than Swiss. It sounds like a good deal to me.

Using more Goex to equal the power of OE just gives you more fouling, and expense. OE is stronger than 10% over Goex.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

PostSubject: Re: Olde Enysford   October 15th 2015, 1:35 pm

T7 locally costs more than real goex or olde eynsford if I order it online. Surprising how the subs keep going up and up in price.
Back to top Go down
OldMtnMan

PostSubject: Re: Olde Enysford   October 15th 2015, 4:40 pm

OE is a real bargain. I'm surprised it's so cheap. They're goal when they came up with it was to compete with Swiss. When I first read that I thought for sure it would be the same price as Swiss, or close to it.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Clyde

PostSubject: Re: Olde Enysford   October 19th 2015, 5:18 pm

Well I got my powder whew it was like pulling teeth .  Fed Ex couldn't find my address really they deliver here all the time.  I have to give it to Graf & Sons their customer service lady was tops she hooked my wife right up to their service center.  SOOO on Saturday we drove 20 miles to said service center to pick-up my powder wow what a pain in the tuckus !!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Clyde

PostSubject: Re: Olde Enysford   October 23rd 2015, 6:32 pm

Question with this powder is a spit patch and then a dry patch enough to clean the barrel between shots for best accuracy with this bp ?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

PostSubject: Re: Olde Enysford   October 23rd 2015, 6:34 pm

spit patch will be ok. I like a cleaner as it keeps my mouth clean and a lot easier on me.
Back to top Go down
OldMtnMan

PostSubject: Re: Olde Enysford   October 23rd 2015, 6:36 pm

Yes, but I usually use one wet, and two dry patches. Wet meaning one lick.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
patocazador

Number of posts : 5862
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Olde Enysford   November 1st 2015, 6:31 am

I read this on another forum. I have NOT verified it but it does make sense concerning the power of various black powders.

"You will read all kinds of variations on the theme of what powder and grain is appropriate for this or that use. That variation, in itself, tells you that the safe choices are very broad.
As to power..... Swiss has the reputation of being more energetic than other powders. What it is is denser... heavier per volume of powder. So, if you measure your powder charges by volume, when you use Swiss you are probably getting more actual weight of powder than with other brands.
Last time I did this I had just gotten some of Grafs FFFg....I set the measure to 100 grains. The Grafs dropped at a consistent 98 grs (97.8-98.0). Swiss FFFg dropped at 105 grs. I did not have any Goex FFFg to compare.
I did have some Goex FFg and some Grafs FFg...doing the same comparison, the Grafs dropped, again, at 98 grs average and the Goex at just under 94 grs.
The reason that you get a hotter load is because you are using more powder."

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
OldMtnMan

PostSubject: Re: Olde Enysford   November 1st 2015, 7:12 am

Swiss uses a different system to measure the size of the granules. Swiss 2f is more like Goex 2.5F.

Even if it was exactly the same as Goex. It would still have more power. It's just a better powder. Too bad they decided to raise the price so high. When I was using a lot of it I was getting it for $16.50lb with no shipping, or Hazmat.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Olde Enysford   

Back to top Go down

Olde Enysford
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Powder Room-
Jump to: