Newb .45 cal question

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
yellowsevenpot

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2015-10-30

PostSubject: Newb .45 cal question   October 30th 2015, 11:30 am

Hey all,

I am new to the forum and new to muzzle loading. I have an opportunity to pick up a .45 cal Kentucky rifle made by Armi Sport, never fired, for 200.00 I am interested in using it for deer hunting; and am concerned as I came across the manual for it that states the charge for a 131 grn ball should be between 40 and 50 grains of ffg. 

This seems really slow to me? 

I am unfamiliar with chamber pressure in regards to muzzle loading, is this a recommendation that is no where near the actual pressure limit? I read in the traditions manual that 100 grains would be a max charge; is the armi rifle just much weaker?

Probably will buy it even if it can only hunt paper as 200 hundred feels like something I shouldn't pass up

Any insight will be appreciated.

- Sean O. 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 14520
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: Newb .45 cal question   October 30th 2015, 11:42 am

Thats more of a recommended load for accuracy and easy shooting.

60-80gr 2fg or 3fg is better suited for hunting. Some of the earlier rifles just really got stupid with their loads and even today, Lyman/Investarms/italian brand, still recommends as little as a 60gr charge.

Its not a bad buy as long as that bore is in good shape. You know how some think a rifle is new and then when you get it, theres powder burns on the stock and the hammer cup is rusty LOL.

http://www.chiappafirearms.com/armi-sport

From what I have found, these have a very fast twist of 1:36 and that lower powder charge makes sense. The faster twist could strip out the patched ball if pushed to hard. But that powder charge they recommend really is mainly for target shooting. I think you'll do ok though even with a heavier charge. The .45 normally will run a faster twist with that tiny ball.

Welcome to the forum as well!

Jonathan
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
patocazador
Site
Site

Number of posts : 5245
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Newb .45 cal question   October 30th 2015, 7:00 pm

If you can, buy or cast some Maxiballs or REALs and try them. The fast twist will stabilize these with higher powder charges plus they are heavier and be better for walloping deer.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
yellowsevenpot

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2015-10-30

PostSubject: Re: Newb .45 cal question   November 4th 2015, 8:23 am

Hey all, so I am pretty certain that this has been fired before, and I have some condition questions I hope to have answered. The guy I bought it from said it just hung on the wall at is fathereally so house, which was evidenced by white paint on the non lock side up the stock. It came off really easy. But my questions, there appears to be a dentist just behind the nipple and I am wondering if it is of conern. Also, the lock plate is discolored and I am wondering what this may point toward, or maybe it is just color case hardening wearing off. I ran some oiled patches down there bore and they came back rust colored, getting less and less as I went one, the last patch in the picture came from just sliding it down the outside of the barrel.

Is there anything I should check before firing? The lock seems good. Half cock is positive, and the hammer doesn't fall when pushed or the trigger is pulled, full cocktail is positive as well. Hammer feels tight, and doesn't move side to side...

Is it normal for the trigger to wobble around in full cock and at rest, and it become stiff in half cock?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 14520
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: Newb .45 cal question   November 5th 2015, 12:35 am

The patches dont look to bad actually. Could be some surface rust from hanging on the walls all those years. Some remington 40x bore cleaner certainly would help settle the mind. They are not torn up either which should mean the bore is not pitted or badly pitted. When they are pitted pretty good, patches come out torn up.

The lock looks like the color case hardening is just discolored over the years or even from the factory. Not something I'd worry about.

Take a pic of the dented area around the nipple. That's the biggest concern right now until it is seen.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
patocazador
Site
Site

Number of posts : 5245
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Newb .45 cal question   November 5th 2015, 7:02 am

I think I've got that same gun but the bore in mine is pitted so badly, it's hard to identify any rifling. It shoots the first shot for OK accuracy but needs to be swabbed each shot and swabbing is a chore. The patches are shredded when they come out.
It hangs on the wall now.

Yours looks to be in much better shape. I wouldn't worry about that little "dentist" behind the hammer. It seems to be just cosmetic.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hunting savage

Number of posts : 89
Registration date : 2014-05-03

PostSubject: Re: Newb .45 cal question   November 6th 2015, 7:09 pm

Krol oil then coat the barrel inside with bore butter
Back to top Go down
View user profile
conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 1364
Registration date : 2015-10-20

PostSubject: Re: Newb .45 cal question   November 14th 2015, 6:03 pm

FrontierGander wrote:

http://www.chiappafirearms.com/armi-sport

Welcome to the forum as well!

Jonathan

Chiappa made single shot 'Baby Sharps' for a short period, had a pair; one in 45 Long Colt the other in .22 Hornet, talk about some neat little rifles. Used the 45 Long Colt to kill a bad buffalo cow at my friends ranch. On the same trip shot a small mule deer with the Hornet. Have seen several guys do some nice shooting with .45 cal. Chiappa rifles like yours.

Yes, Welcome to the forum as well.

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://grrwca..com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Newb .45 cal question   

Back to top Go down

Newb .45 cal question
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Traditional Muzzleloading-
Jump to: