View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Kentucky Colonel
FML's
FML's

Male Number of posts : 1528
Registration date : 2015-10-28

PostSubject: A New Patient   November 5th 2015, 8:56 pm

Skip this if you have no interest in a gunsamerica acquired Traditions .50 cal. Kentucky Long. 

This was my first dip into the virtual black powder rifle buying world. Er... Actually, 
this is my first time buying ANY firearm in the digital realm. (I do have two Hatfields 
on the way, too. When I finally go, I go!) I prefer to buy after laying hands on the 
weapon. 

This is also the first flintlock I have ever owned. So, I am open to any and all comments- 
especially if you think everybody knows it. I may not. This post is not to tell anybody else 
how to do things! I am taking you through my efforts. Maybe you will remember how it was 
when you were beginning? Maybe my fumbling will keep you amused? 

I paid 225 for the rifle based on pics I found inconclusive. The description and follow up 
with a friendly seller answered some questions and revealed nothing of concern. While I 
did not completely trust this, I considered the deal a doable risk and a chance to learn 
without too much exposure. Plus, if it worked out, I would have a decent 'loaner' rifle to 
use when I wanted to introduce a new friend to black powder.

Here is The Flop! Original gunsamerica photo of the Traditions .50 Cal. Ky Long Rifle:

Now, this is what I got. Here comes The River:

Looks good! Call, or fold? Show your hand! 

So, serious cosmetic problems on one side. The wood looks very good for this kind of buy. But, the seller was definitely not big into full disclosure! I am about to drop a patch down the bore... drum roll, anybody?

I am using TC Number 13 Bore Cleaner. I got lucky with my range rod. I normally shoot Hawken- short rod. But, one of my match shooting friends made me a custom rod and he shoots long rifle! I never even thought about it till I tried to drop the patch down the bore for the first time. 

So, these are the patches. I am open to input, but my first take is that this could be a lot worse? The poor thing was being neglected to death! The outside is ugly, but I am not getting shredded patches on the inside.

Two patches puzzled me because there were some some tears that I have heard can indicate pitting. The inconsistency did not make sense. Then I realized. My new range rod does not swivel. I used too much grip and did not allow the rogue patches to turn with the rifling. That was why there were only two patches with issues. 

I was able to add the flint. (Hey, did I get it right? My first time doing that, too!) The pan does light up. Don't worry. I took it outside to test it safely, but I had already checked that the bore was empty using the rifle's rod to test for a load. The pan and the touch hole look good to my eye. 

So, my take is that I did not find a jewel. But, I did find a poor mistreated workhorse that is worth saving. 
As bets go? I think I kinda broke even? Thoughts?

And, I could really use some suggestions about that rust on the outside of the barrel? I have never been around anyone who let their guns go this badly. Can this be fixed easily?

And, tell me if this is any fun for you to read? I can just ask for input in a lot shorter ways if this is boring. 
I want to see if I can make the experiences I am enjoying into something somewhat entertaining for others. 
How did I do?

Florida Muzzleloaders Association 
Central Florida Muzzleloaders 
Green River Rifle Works Collectors Association
NMLRA

Last edited by Kentucky Colonel on November 5th 2015, 9:36 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 14690
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: A New Patient   November 5th 2015, 9:19 pm

eeeek! Someone let that barrel sweat for a lot time. Ive never seen the exterior of the barrel that rusted/pitted.

Get that bore CLEAN and inspect it for bad pitting. If its bad, get it boxed up and a complaint in for a refund due to inaccurate description of item.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
Kentucky Colonel
FML's
FML's

PostSubject: Re: A New Patient   November 5th 2015, 9:45 pm

LOL Seems I did not do as well as I had hoped! Ah, well. I am still having fun.

Barrel sweat! A perfect name for a disgusting thing. 

I will drop a light down the barrel and look. And, I will definitely let an expert inspect it before trying anything with it. But, a new barrel transplant may offer some hope in the worst case?

And, FG? I am relatively certain I am on my own for this one, but your advice is duly noted. 
When you play in Vegas? You don't gamble with what you can't afford to lose. (Grin) I knew 
going in. And, it has been fun. Heck, it is still fun!

Visual inspection does show some rust now that I have the lights on it. 
I have a light stick that you can drop into a barrel and it lights up from 
inside. I also looked using my Surefire light. 

I do not see the bubbling like on the outside. But, I am not experienced enough 
to really tell anything useful. Off to the experts soon!

NMLRA

Last edited by Kentucky Colonel on November 6th 2015, 7:07 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 14690
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: A New Patient   November 5th 2015, 9:58 pm

a shame, but if the bore is still half way decent, you still have something to work with. A new barrel would be costly, probably a lot more costly even from traditions for a replacement, but you never know.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
patocazador
Site
Site

Number of posts : 5420
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: A New Patient   November 6th 2015, 3:05 am

That touch hole looks to be at least double the size it should be. Someone tried to funnel it and overdid it. The hole should be no larger than 1/16". A new vent liner is needed IMO.
Those two-piece stocks on a "long rifle" generally don't don't match up good. Yours looks to be no exception.

I'm with Jon on this one, GET A REFUND.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kentucky Colonel
FML's
FML's

PostSubject: Re: A New Patient   November 6th 2015, 8:13 am

"That touch hole looks to be at least double the size it should be."

I thought that looked big, but I dismissed it as I felt I had bigger fish to fry.

(Laughs heartily) One reason I never went for a Traditions in the first place was 
because of the two piece stock. It did not feel 'long rifle' to me, either.

Gentlemen, you have convinced me. I have purchased a genuine 'pig-in-a-poke!' 
(I am still grinning, though)

I wrote to the seller day yesterday. Just a polite note and an invitation to view this thread. 
He has not opened/read his mail. He may never. He may have pulled a 'squirrel.'

But, I have been thinking about it and after that first shock, I have grown philosophical about this one. 
There were a lot of 'firsts' for me in this effort. I learned a lot and ultimately had fun. Over-all, what I 
spent versus the entertainment time I had with it? It was not that bad. Heck, my loss is like four trips 
to the cinema?

And, I realized I am very fortunate to be in a place where I have the freedom to play around like this. 
This may sound odd, but over-all I feel a sense of gratitude. Oh, not to the seller. But, to well, God. I am 
blessed to be in my position and blessed to recognize it.

The following is my note to our seller friend.

I figure you might be interested in the story of this rifle. 

I share because I can. I don't know what you knew and when you knew it. 
But, I figured you should know it all. If you did know something was wrong? 
The way I figure it, you must have really needed the help for that couple hundred to 
be worth throwing your time and energy behind. 

So, I won't judge because I don't know it all and I have been hard up before myself. 
If you need it, keep the money with my well wishes and God bless you to better times.

Below is a forum link that you may find interesting. it is about the rifle you sold me. 

https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com/t9266-a-new-patient

Take care.

And, I feel better doing this than throwing a hissy fit and throwing one 
would not make things any better.

(Now, if my Hatfields come in like this? I doubt I will be able to be as gracious!)

NMLRA
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kentucky Colonel
FML's
FML's

PostSubject: Re: A New Patient   November 6th 2015, 12:27 pm

I spoke to Traditions. They will order a new blued barrel with all the hardware for $120. 
They are made in Spain. Order time is about ten weeks. That would also fix the flash hole 
issue, I think.

I am considering my options.Wink

NMLRA
Back to top Go down
View user profile
falcon

Male Number of posts : 1357
Registration date : 2012-05-28

PostSubject: Re: A New Patient   November 6th 2015, 12:46 pm

Pretty decent looking rifle.  For that price you could always hang it above the fireplace with the rusty side toward the brick. 

The patches don't look like they came from a badly rusted bore.  If the rust is light it will clean up very nicely.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kentucky Colonel
FML's
FML's

PostSubject: Re: A New Patient   November 6th 2015, 3:45 pm

@falcon wrote:
Pretty decent looking rifle.  For that price you could always hang it above the fireplace with the rusty side toward the brick. 

I live in Florida. What is a fireplace? Very Happy

I intend to work on that bore. (Grins ruefully) I am too vain to show up at a match with a rifle that looks like this. 

I keep hearing my Dad say, "You used that gun today, you gotta clean it." And, "Have you looked in the gun cabinet in the last six months? Better get 'em out and clean 'em." (It was still safe to have guns in glass cabinets then)

Using that gun publicly would conjure up ghosts that would haunt me on the range! :Hide

NMLRA
Back to top Go down
View user profile
patocazador
Site
Site

Number of posts : 5420
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: A New Patient   November 6th 2015, 4:45 pm

If the bore is good, it's worth replacing the vent liner (cheap to do) and refinishing the outside of the barrel. A couple of packages of emery cloth in various grits might do it if the pitting isn't deep. Otherwise a couple of bastard files followed by the emery cloth or sandpaper will do it. Then just degrease and heat up the barrel a bit and cold blue it.

You should remove the lock and check the internals too.
Does the frizzen spark good?

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kentucky Colonel
FML's
FML's

PostSubject: Re: A New Patient   November 6th 2015, 5:09 pm

That sounds like good advice. I will get a professional set of eyes on the bore.

I did remove it. I saw no trouble with the lock. 

It does spark. It is somewhere between not robust enough and just enough. 
This is my first flint.

NMLRA
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hunting savage

Number of posts : 118
Registration date : 2014-05-03

PostSubject: Re: A New Patient   November 6th 2015, 7:01 pm

I think you did good not great but  I think its a shooter with the work of a file in emery cloth and cold blue it will be a keeper . I bought a cva hawkens a few tears ago the same way put a new barrel never look back
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kentucky Colonel
FML's
FML's

PostSubject: Re: A New Patient   November 15th 2015, 6:18 pm

It does make smoke. I did not use it in the match, but I tried it out. 
This shot is with powder and patch only. Someone asked about buying it. 
I gave him the link here. We'll see.

This is one guys flintlock collection. I wish the pic had been better. They were fun.

A new shooter on her second visit.

I shot well. The weather was beautiful. The company fine. A nice day out at Central Florida Pistol and Rifle Club.

NMLRA
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JLBSparks

Number of posts : 124
Registration date : 2015-03-04

PostSubject: Re: A New Patient   November 18th 2015, 6:36 pm

I just got the same gun last week in kit form. Haven't started on it, yet.

-Joe
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A New Patient   

Back to top Go down

A New Patient
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Traditional Muzzleloading-
Jump to: