Share | 

Left handed Flintlock, or side lock

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
BigDaddy

Male Number of posts : 802
Registration date : 2009-10-08

PostSubject: Left handed Flintlock, or side lock   December 1st 2015, 10:44 am

How hard is it to find one in left handed? Preferably a side-lock.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear Claw

Male Number of posts : 9568
Registration date : 2010-09-23

PostSubject: Re: Left handed Flintlock, or side lock   December 1st 2015, 1:20 pm

GPR

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Powderhorn09

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2013-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Left handed Flintlock, or side lock   December 3rd 2015, 10:36 am

Check gunbroker.com, left handed flint Lyman Great Plains Rifles are on there quite often. Also google it as there are some out there for decent prices. Here are a couple that's there now;

http://www.gunbroker.com/Black-Powder-Rifles-Muzzleloader-Rifles/BI.aspx?Keywords=*left+handed
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear Claw

Male Number of posts : 9568
Registration date : 2010-09-23

PostSubject: Re: Left handed Flintlock, or side lock   December 3rd 2015, 11:51 am

Price on that Renegade is ridiculous. It's been on there forever, and has never gotten a bid.

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Smokin' Joe
FML's
FML's

Male Number of posts : 1777
Registration date : 2011-11-23

PostSubject: Re: Left handed Flintlock, or side lock   December 3rd 2015, 1:18 pm

It's funny, the muzzleloader listing above the Renegade is listed as "Left Hand" also, however, it looks like a "Right Hand" to me.  Very Happy

Semper Fi……..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Powderhorn09

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2013-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Left handed Flintlock, or side lock   December 3rd 2015, 1:29 pm

Left handed stock, right hand lock! Sorry about that!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Smokin' Joe
FML's
FML's

Male Number of posts : 1777
Registration date : 2011-11-23

PostSubject: Re: Left handed Flintlock, or side lock   December 3rd 2015, 1:36 pm

Hey BigDaddy, I agree with Powderhorn09 that Gunbroker.com has some left handed muzzleloaders that seem somewhat reasonably priced, I just pulled a search:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Black-Powder-Rifles-Muzzleloader-Rifles/BI.aspx?Keywords=*left+hand

Midsouth Shooters Supply has a few Lyman muzzleloaders that are left handed too:
http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/search?SearchTerm=Lyman+left+hand

Also there is a brand new Lyman Great Plains rifle "Left Handed" listed in Minneapolis Armslist site:
http://www.armslist.com/posts/4141695/minneapolis-minnesota-muzzle-loaders-for-sale--lyman-great-plains-rifle---50-cal--left-handed-percussion

Semper Fi……..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fishmagnet

Male Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2015-08-23

PostSubject: Re: Left handed Flintlock, or side lock   December 11th 2015, 10:29 am

Go to broomefirearms.com . I think he will ship. I just left the store. He has a left tc renegade for 295. It is in great shape. Harvey broome owner phone number 229 423 2462.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AZshooter

Number of posts : 68
Registration date : 2015-05-30

PostSubject: Re: Left handed Flintlock, or side lock   January 16th 2016, 3:52 pm

Just because you're lefthanded, don't limit yourself to the many fine flinters available. My Mother was lefthanded to the point of retardation, although I think "stubborn" was a more accurate description.
She had to have a lefthanded watch, lefthanded scissors, lefthanded spatula, and legion other lefthanded things.  I've spent my lifetime rebelling against the lefty whiner attitude that so many folks held in the past.  Today's lefties appear to be more adaptable, and much less narrowminded.

If you see a bargain on a righthanded flintlock, don't hesitate, Buy It!  The law written in the lefty handbook that said you can only shoot a righthanded flinter righthanded was written by a metrosexual sissy whiner.  Sure, I do have a couple of lefthanded flints, but I grew up with the opportunity to shoot righthanded original rifles lefthanded, and it's no big deal.  The learning curve for overcoming the pan flash flinch is the same, no matter which side of the barrel the lock is positioned.

After all, if you had a flint double barrel shotgun, you'd fire both barrels, right?  Righthanded shooters will, so what holds YOU back?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
patocazador
Site
Site

Number of posts : 5374
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Left handed Flintlock, or side lock   January 16th 2016, 4:40 pm

A left-handed flint? Do you have some left-handed percussion caps too?  Laughing

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hilljack

Male Number of posts : 181
Registration date : 2014-04-03

PostSubject: Re: Left handed Flintlock, or side lock   January 16th 2016, 7:57 pm

If the rifles that are commercial production or a lot of semi customs are straight stocks and when you get into the customs and semi custom will have cast off set for the right or left hand will make it next to impossible to shoot let alone be comfortable...Most beginners are better off at first shooting a commercial rifle because they are straight stocked and can be shot from either  side...And as they become more capable move on to a rifle made for them...Thanks for reading my thoughts and opinions...

Hilljack
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AZshooter

Number of posts : 68
Registration date : 2015-05-30

PostSubject: Re: Left handed Flintlock, or side lock   January 16th 2016, 9:08 pm

@Hilljack wrote:
If the rifles that are commercial production or a lot of semi customs are straight stocks and when you get into the customs and semi custom will have cast off set for the right or left hand will make it next to impossible to shoot let alone be comfortable...Most beginners are better off at first shooting a commercial rifle because they are straight stocked and can be shot from either  side...And as they become more capable move on to a rifle made for them...Thanks for reading my thoughts and opinions...

Hilljack
It's good you mentioned the stock offset, since it makes a righthanded rifle my Dad built a little more difficult for me to line up the sights when shooting it lefthanded.

Otherwise, some of the Lyman (Investarms) rifles come with a straight stock, so it's basically ambidextrous.  But my GPR and another rifle with a cheekpiece don't have enough offset (if any) to make it difficult to shoot lefthanded.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Left handed Flintlock, or side lock   

Back to top Go down

Left handed Flintlock, or side lock
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Traditional Muzzleloading-
Jump to: