HomeFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Share | 

Bullet questions for new CVA Optima V2

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
cjc77z4

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2015-12-27

PostSubject: Bullet questions for new CVA Optima V2   December 27th 2015, 12:12 am

Hi everyone...I am new to muzzleloading and have found that this his a whole different animal to anything that I have done. I have been reading on here for a while....trying to narrow down what I want to shoot out of my Optima. I really wanted to try Barnes TEZ due to their raving reviews. So here's where I am at.

Went to Scheels today and picked up some white hots and some Hornady SST Low Drag 250 grain. I wanted the Barnes tez also but they only had the expander mz 250 and 300. I have read that people can't get these down the barrel of the Optima V2 l.....that's why i wanted the TEZ.

Well I get to looking and they had Remington Premeir Accutip sabots in stock. I get to reading and it's basically a Barnes TEZ 250 with a green sabot that is made to shoot out of the Remington Ultimate Muzzleloader ONLY.

My question is...can I shoot these out of the Optima V2 as is? second....I have thought about putting the Barnes TEZ in to the red sabot that came with the Hornady SST 250's. I have read that people have had success with that. Lastly.....what other sabots should I look at to pair with the Barnes TEZ 250?

Any help would be appreciated.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GregK

Male Number of posts : 3053
Registration date : 2012-01-22

PostSubject: Re: Bullet questions for new CVA Optima V2   December 27th 2015, 6:22 am

Welcome to the forum & to a great & very enjoyable sport.

Here is what I would suggest for you:
Call Carlos at Ed's Gun Shop 910-692-7936 & order you supplies from him. You won't find a better person to deal with or better prices.
I would switch from the White Hots to BH209, inc ordering the Western Powders BH209 breech plug from Carlos
You never have to swab between shots, it is much cleaner & faster, & not nearly as corrosive. You'll need full strength primers too. It doesn't require special solvents for cleaning, you just use any centerfire gun solvents.
You can buy the Barnes TEZ 250 or the Hornady Monoflex in bulk from Carlos & I would suggest you also buy Harvester EZ load smooth sabots. This combination should turn your gun into a tack driver. I can't tell you which sabot Rem uses on their repackaged TEZ bullets.

dlethcoe (Dave) has a lot of range time with the V2 Optima & he'll be more than happy to give you any help that you may need. Good luck & If I can be of any help, just yell.

Greg

McRem 40cal SML

LEUPOLD 4-12X40 VX-R 30mm, CDS, FIRE DOT
CEB 40/240, 76gr IMR 4895
2600 ft/s

CVA APEX .358 SML & .45 ML
LUEPOLD 4-12X50 VX-R CDS, FIRE DOT, WIND PLEX

Knight Mountainer LTD
45cal / 1-20 twist
LEUPOLD 4-12X50 VX-R 30mm WIND PLEX CDS FIREDOT
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cjc77z4

PostSubject: Re: Bullet questions for new CVA Optima V2   December 27th 2015, 6:37 am

I just read that the Barnes Tez supplies with the Remington sabot were downsized a bit from .451 to .4485. I assume now that since these are smaller than normal TEZ that I should not shoot them....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cjc77z4

PostSubject: Re: Bullet questions for new CVA Optima V2   December 27th 2015, 6:41 am

Thank you Greg for your reply. I will definitely call Carlos after the season is over. I think for now I might be best off just using white hots and the hornady sst since we are in the middle of the paste muzzy season here in iowa. Perhaps I can turn my muzzy into a tac driver before next season....with Carlos' help.

Last edited by cjc77z4 on December 27th 2015, 7:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dlethcoe

Male Number of posts : 688
Registration date : 2012-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Bullet questions for new CVA Optima V2   December 27th 2015, 6:58 am

cjc77z4, Welcome to the group.
PM me and and I can try to help you with your set up, I have some different sabots you could try, some times you need to play with different sabots and bullets to find out what your gun likes, 

Dave
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 14521
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: Bullet questions for new CVA Optima V2   December 27th 2015, 10:22 am

I would not shoot those smaller bullets for the remington. It seems they must be running a much tighter bore with the info you provided.

Ask Carlos about the 260gr Harvester Scorpion PT Gold. Super cheap bullet, accurate and a hell of a hunting bullet. You can't wrong wrong with the Barnes either, but they get pricey to practice with!

Welcome to the forum as well! ANY questions, always ask!

Jonathan
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
cjc77z4

PostSubject: Re: Bullet questions for new CVA Optima V2   December 28th 2015, 10:13 am

You guys are great. I am obviously in the right place to learn this great new sport. Thanks again for all of your advice
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bullet questions for new CVA Optima V2   

Back to top Go down

Bullet questions for new CVA Optima V2
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Modern Muzzleloading-
Jump to: