Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

Muzzleloading Forum

HomeGalleryFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Ads

Share | 

My brothers new .54cal Hawken

Go down 
AuthorMessage
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 15285
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: My brothers new .54cal Hawken   December 28th 2015, 7:49 pm

For Christmas my dad and I decided that my brothers Hawken was in need of a face lift. His 50cal barrel crown was worn down from ramrod rubbing from the previous owner and just needed a fresh barrel.

My dad got him the 54cal barrel and i bought a kit stock to finish for him.

I got the barrel mounted and ran the bore camera down and wow it that some nasty stuff CVA used on the kit barrels to keep rust out! I tried Ballistol, soaking it over night to help remove it and nothing. In the end I soaked the bore in the 2 in 1 bore scrubber, let it sit for 30 minutes, came back with a patch wrapped around a .54cal bore brush, soaked it again and once more hit with the bore brush. I finished it off with some Gun Scrubber and look a look and it was 99& remove from the bore/rifling but stuck to the face of the breech plug. I'll spray that down really good to see if that does the trick.

I did some casting last night and got 60 round balls for him to shoot tomorrow if its nice out.

Before,

After, Thought I got a shot of the rifling but I couldnt find one on the system.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
RonC
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 1028
Registration date : 2013-09-09

PostSubject: Re: My brothers new .54cal Hawken   December 29th 2015, 3:04 pm

Nothing like a bore scope to see what really is going on down the tube!
Nice cleaning job! Maybe Cosmoline wasn't just limited to military rifles.
Ron

Outside of a Dog, a Book is Manís Best Friend. Inside of a Dog, Itís Too Dark to Read. Groucho Marx (or possibly someone earlier)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Marty
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 3432
Registration date : 2009-02-03

PostSubject: Re: My brothers new .54cal Hawken   December 31st 2015, 6:27 am

I've never seen that view before. Nice pics FG† :rtup
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RonC
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: My brothers new .54cal Hawken   December 31st 2015, 8:14 am

I have an "Inspection Scope" from Harbor Freight Tools that I use as a bore scope ($69.95 on sale and $10 less when they have a coupon). The scope is between 8 and 8.5 mm in diameter and will go down the bore of long guns as small as .45 cal.

That scope has taught me a lot about fouling and cleaning that even the best bore light doesn't reveal.

I wanted to use it for my historic military rifles, but the camera is too large for the bores. There is a similar Inspection Scope from the same manufacturer that has a 5 mm camera and a larger screen for viewing as well as a USB output to a computer. It is about $100 - 150 more than the Harbor Freight model. I will spring for one soon as I think it is well worth the money for what you can resolve in a bore.

Then, again, maybe I DON'T want to see what some of those aged, used bores look like. Mad Very Happy
Ron

Outside of a Dog, a Book is Manís Best Friend. Inside of a Dog, Itís Too Dark to Read. Groucho Marx (or possibly someone earlier)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Marty
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 3432
Registration date : 2009-02-03

PostSubject: Re: My brothers new .54cal Hawken   January 1st 2016, 8:34 am

More than once on a project I've wished I had an inspection scope to see what I'm doing. †Always thought they were more expensive than what you mentioned. † Thanks for the info RonC.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RonC
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: My brothers new .54cal Hawken   January 1st 2016, 9:07 am

Happy to help, Marty!

Happy New Year!
Ron

Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

PostSubject: Re: My brothers new .54cal Hawken   January 5th 2016, 4:45 pm

Stock arrived today! Beautiful replace as the original was cracked all over hells creation lol. I may do a little work on it tonight.
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

PostSubject: Re: My brothers new .54cal Hawken   January 5th 2016, 7:31 pm

All righty! After getting all the holes drilled and the butt plate all lined up nicely, shes ready to bed!

This is a 1" stock with a 15/16" barrel. I actually mounted the 15/16" nose cap to use as a guide line when I apply some bedding. I'd like a nice clean line down the stock before I bet that and the tang.

So far, shes off to a great start. No troubles as of yet. Wedge key I took my time on to get a nice snug fit and remove any extra wood to prevent spliter cracks in the channel and in the lock area.

The lock inlet I had to use my curved chisel and a few hard draws on the file, sized it just right and super tight metal to wood fit.

A lot of wood to remove around the tang/wrist area. At least 3/32" +† Thats ok though, leaves plenty of room for playing around with shapes while I file the wood to the metal.

Damn I get excited with these old Hawken rifles!† I love seeing them come together and know their real potential.
Back to top Go down
patocazador

Number of posts : 5837
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: My brothers new .54cal Hawken   January 5th 2016, 8:20 pm

How do you get the bedding that will show on each side of the barrel to accept stain that matches?

I used the brown dye stuff that came with the Acra-glass to darken it but it didn't come close to matching the wood.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

PostSubject: Re: My brothers new .54cal Hawken   January 5th 2016, 10:27 pm

I've been using a dark gray jb weld. It will only go half way up the stock and not show a whole lot, if any.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My brothers new .54cal Hawken   

Back to top Go down

My brothers new .54cal Hawken
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Traditional Muzzleloading-
Jump to: