Share | 

Hello.. help a newbie out plzzzz

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
marc82

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2016-01-04

PostSubject: Hello.. help a newbie out plzzzz   January 4th 2016, 7:36 pm

hi everyone. new here but have been reading quite a bit since the purchase of my first ml. 

i bought a cva accura v2 nitride thumbhole, and after all the reviews i was pumped to get out and sight her in and see how she shoots.

i started with 100gr t7 pellets and 100 dollars worth of powerbelts that were recommended. 

very dissapointing first range session to say the least. i was lucky to get a 3 incher at 50 yds. tried the 245, 300 aerotip.
then opened the 250 aerolites and tried them with no better results. 

fast forward 1 week and i was off to range with cci magnums blackhorn and breech plug. tried the same bullets but tried different powder charges from 90-110. i know powerbelts are not the greatest for hunting but ive read people still getting great accuracy with them in same model guns. it almost seemed my groups were worse with the bh209. first 4 shots were stringing from high to low almost in a line

what gives?? did i get a bad one? please help..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Smokin' Joe
FML's
FML's

Male Number of posts : 1750
Registration date : 2011-11-23

PostSubject: Re: Hello.. help a newbie out plzzzz   January 5th 2016, 7:39 am

Hello marc82!  You have a great rifle there so I'm sure there's something going on.  You may be doing these things already but here's a few basic suggestions: You didn't mention if you scoped your V2 or not.  If you did, that would be the "first" thing I would suspect.  Check to make sure all screws are tight, I've made that mistake myself.  If that is moving around or sliding you'll never get a nice group.  Shooting at 50 yards, it shouldn't matter what bullet choice you made, they all should be grouping nice.  Using the T7 pellets you should be swabbing, wet patch / dry patch after each shot.  You want the bullet seated the same way each time and don't push the ramrod so hard that you crack/crush the pellets. You are on the right track by changing "one" thing at a time, taking 3 - 5 shots, to check your grouping. 

Good luck!

Semper Fi……..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hawgslayer
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Number of posts : 3701
Registration date : 2009-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Hello.. help a newbie out plzzzz   January 5th 2016, 7:58 am

First off marc82, WELCOME to the forum. 
Patience partner.........
You have to find out what your rifle likes.............
I tried many different powders, bullets and primers and had the same problem. Some were better then others but I want to tell you this, Pellets don't work well in my MR.
I know it's expensive but you cant beat Black horn 209. Accuracy and consistency is second to none. As far as cleaning goes, after 1 or 2 patches, you'll wonder if you were even shooting. Another big asset is, you don't have to swab the barrel until your done. Clean the b/p after 6 to 8 shots and you'll find nothing but smiles on your face and holes in the X RING.
This is my routine at the range...........
I pop off 2 or 3 Fiocchi primers and the load up with 110 grains, by volume, with BH209 and I use either the Barnes Spit Fire 290 grain with the blus sabot or black EZ LOAD Harvester sabot depending on the day, or the Hornady MONO FLEX with the red/orange sabot that it comes with.
Make sure your your scope mounts and rings are secure and your good to go. Start at the 25 and after you zero there, go to the 100. i really think you will be surprised.
GOOD LUCK,

Ray......... t up

KEEPEM IN THE " 10 " RING   

Semper Fi...... '66-'69
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tony

Male Number of posts : 571
Registration date : 2011-04-26

PostSubject: Re: Hello.. help a newbie out plzzzz   January 5th 2016, 8:02 am

Also, stringing like that suggests you may be shooting too quickly.  My gun shoots best at 5-10 minutes between shots.  I personally never had good accuracy with the Powerbelts.  Every gun is different.  Just because another Accura had good results with Powerbelts doesn't mean your gun will like them.

Harvester Smooth Sabot
100 gr. BH209-Win 209 Primer

Leupold VX-3 3.5-10x40 CDS
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 14521
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: Hello.. help a newbie out plzzzz   January 5th 2016, 4:20 pm

Barrel heat and inconsistent seating pressure tends to spread the shots vertically. I've seen with it a bad scope as well, but I'd first try 100gr BH209, 300gr Aerolite if you have any left, and try to consistently seat the bullet on top of the ramrod. I use two thumbs over the end of the ramrod and that is it! Wait 5 minutes between shots to let the barrel cool.

Have you cleaned your plug out lately with the 1/8" drill bit?

If its not been cleaned, it will cause horrible accuracy after about 20 shots. Check my video out with a members Accura v2 and a plugged breech plug.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
marc82

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2016-01-04

PostSubject: Re: Hello.. help a newbie out plzzzz   January 5th 2016, 4:52 pm

Thank you all for the quick responses.  

To answer your question joe, it is scoped. I bought the thumbhole package with 3-10 konus scope. I did check the scope ring screws but did not check base screws which i will do before i go to range on saturday.

It was 35 degrees when i was out so i thought i could load and shoot a little faster. I was still waiting 4 minutes or so to shoot but did notice barrel was still fairly warm when i shot.  

Gander i was cleaning breech plug every 8 shots or so.  I watched that video of you shooting aerolites before i bought the bullets, which is why i bought them. i had the highest hopes for them mainly because of your video. (great shooting btw) I had the 250grain and not the 300. Maybe ill give those a try. As it is now, i have to buy another tub of bh209 and different bullets to try..

Thank you for the tips guys. I, like many am obsessed with accuracy. I have some high end pcp airguns that i like to shoot that can hit a dime every shot at 50 yds so im spoiled.  But when one isnt shooting right or if i end the day with a not so good group, i dwell on it like a little schoolgirl
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hello.. help a newbie out plzzzz   

Back to top Go down

Hello.. help a newbie out plzzzz
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Modern Muzzleloading-
Jump to: