Reenactment of the 1835 Dade Massacre by the Seminoles

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
patocazador
Site
Site

Number of posts : 5368
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Reenactment of the 1835 Dade Massacre by the Seminoles   Mon 4 Jan - 22:57

In December of 1835 a contingent of 110 US troops were marching from Fort Brooke (Tampa, FL) to Fort King (Ocala, FL) when they were ambushed by ~180 Seminole Indians several miles east of the Ouithlacoochee River (Withlacooche River now). After a battle that lasted most of the day, only 3 survivors, one of them wounded, were left. This was during the Second Seminole War.

I have lived less than 6 miles from this battle site since 1976 and had never gone until I took my wife and granddaughter this last Saturday.
I was overwhelmed by the reenactment by the volunteers. There were over 50 members of the federal troops all with authentic wool uniforms, great coats and accoutrements. The battle itself lasted almost an hour but seemed like 10 minutes because it was so exciting and interesting. All of the horses could be shot off of without shying and great horsemanship was demonstrated as a Seminole warrior galloped his horse after an escaping soldier. The Seminole fired the rifle one-handed at the soldier when the barrel end was about 10" in front of the horses head. The horse was at full gallop and did not react in any manner.
A 6-pound cannon fired over a dozen rounds and several large pine trees were "chopped down" (simulated) and a breastwork was built while they were under fire.

I would rate it a 9.5 out of 10. It's hard to impress me but I will attend every year now. I am just sorry I didn't start going 40 years ago.

My 9 y.o. granddaughter thought it was as good as the Taylor Swift concert she went to on Halloween. Rolling Eyes 

I took many photos and videos but here are some from the official website with most of the info and a running slideshow:

http://dadebattlefield.com/photo%20-%202010.html

A list of guns allowed to be used in the reenactment:

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kentucky Colonel
FML's
FML's

Male Number of posts : 1510
Registration date : 2015-10-29

PostSubject: Re: Reenactment of the 1835 Dade Massacre by the Seminoles   Mon 4 Jan - 23:37

Taylor Swift aside, it does sound like fun. I would like to see it. 
It is close enough that I probably could. I never knew about it. 
Thanks for the heads up.

Florida Muzzleloaders Association 
Central Florida Muzzleloaders 
Green River Rifle Works Collectors Association
NMLRA
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Reenactment of the 1835 Dade Massacre by the Seminoles
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Traditional Muzzleloading-