Muzzleloading Forum

HomeFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Share | 

What can you guys tell me about Knight muzzleloaders?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
cornfedkiller

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2016-01-13

PostSubject: What can you guys tell me about Knight muzzleloaders?   January 18th 2016, 8:28 pm

I have one of the new Remington Ultimate muzzleloaders on order right now, but have been reading about a few issues with them.

The first issue I read about was a batch of bad barrels that got out in early production and guys were having terrible accuracy issues.. It seems Remington took care of the gun owners and has since fixed the problem.  Most of the reports I've read recently seem to be getting incredible accuracy all the way out to 400 yards.

The second (major) issue that I have been reading about is while using Blackhorn 209 (which I plan on using) and re-primed brass.  After a couple re-primes, there seems to be some gas-cutting issues on the breech plug.  It doesn't seem to be an issue with new brass, or brass that has been re-primed once or twice, but any more than that, and guys are reporting issues.  Because of that same issue, the original Ultimate Muzzleloader out of Michigan states that Blackhorn should not be used in their guns. Blackhorn has done extensive testing with their powder in the Remington with no issues, but I dont know if they have tested it with brass that has been re-primed several times. I have sent an email to Remington to get their opinion on the issue.

Anyways - on to the question at hand...Never really looked into Knight muzzleloaders, but lately I have been reading more and more about them. It seems they have a very loyal following, and I like pretty much everything I'm reading. I like that its a bolt action (I don't like hammers during crunch time for some reason), they are beautiful guns with the laminate wood stock, and guys say the accuracy is great.  With that said, I have been contemplating cancelling my Remington order and just ordering a Knight Mountaineer.  

What can you guys tell me about them? Pros, cons, everything.  I know a lot of guys here are die-hard smokeless, but I really have no interest in going that route at this point..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GregK

Male Number of posts : 3053
Registration date : 2012-01-22

PostSubject: Re: What can you guys tell me about Knight muzzleloaders?   January 19th 2016, 6:36 pm

CFK......there have been problems with the new Rem & unfortunately Big Green is not the same great company that it once was. Quality issues with new guns have been huge, customer service is also shaky.

Next, with the proper testing of loads a CVA break action can shoot great groups at 400 yards as well. Just talk to Carlos.

On to Knight.  They build great rifles
Customer service is AWFUL!!!
Ordering guns & accessories is easy.....the LONG wait can be a killer
Gordy (probably the longest termed employee) has left according to what I've read & I've also heard that his leaving has caused many more problems
Knight likes to have proprietary accessories to make you buy from them only. A bit expensive, but the shipping can be outrageous.
With that said......
They build great rifles.

I have more personal experience with Knight so I know a bit more about them

I like the look & overall design of the Rem but it is HEAVY!! Ignition problems always scare me & everything about using that gun is expensive.

If you MUST have a bolt gun go with the Knight.

Greg

McRem 40cal SML

LEUPOLD 4-12X40 VX-R 30mm, CDS, FIRE DOT
CEB 40/240, 76gr IMR 4895
2600 ft/s

CVA APEX .358 SML & .45 ML
LUEPOLD 4-12X50 VX-R CDS, FIRE DOT, WIND PLEX

Knight Mountainer LTD
45cal / 1-20 twist
LEUPOLD 4-12X50 VX-R 30mm WIND PLEX CDS FIREDOT

Last edited by GregK on January 20th 2016, 10:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
olecoop

Male Number of posts : 54
Registration date : 2014-04-15

PostSubject: Re: What can you guys tell me about Knight muzzleloaders?   January 20th 2016, 8:10 am

2x what Greg says!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
olehunter

Male Number of posts : 112
Registration date : 2015-04-09

PostSubject: Re: What can you guys tell me about Knight muzzleloaders?   January 20th 2016, 9:26 am

I bought a new Knight Ultra Lite last year ,Its a good shooter , comes up to shoulder nice and fits me good ,Breech plug removal not that bad either ,I changed out the stock sights for Williams WGRS peep ,

I forgot to say I bought mine at sportsmanwarehouse so it has a older serial number and they had a issue with the bolt being hard to open after firing it at that time ,, I did receive from Knight  new parts to fix it  ,took about a month to get  ,,, Been dang happy with it so far,,,  packing a 6lb rifle all day its a joy.

Last edited by olehunter on January 20th 2016, 4:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SCHUNTER

Male Number of posts : 335
Registration date : 2012-05-23

PostSubject: Re: What can you guys tell me about Knight muzzleloaders?   January 20th 2016, 11:13 am

I bought the Remington Ultimate only for the action to build a smokeless muzz. I sold all the parts to make the cost of the action a lot cheaper than buying a new action.  I have no interest in shooting 200 grains of pellets and BH209 is the only sub I shoot now and there can be issues with it in the Rem. Ult. as you have described.

If I was going to buy a bolt action it would be the Knight Ultra Lite which I have had one for two years now.  I have had no issues with it and love it shooting BH209. As Greg has indicated Knight customer service has its issues along with some issues with stuck primers and excessive blow back in the breech area on the Mountaineer.  The first Mountaineer I had had these issues and Knight ended up replacing the gun.

I have been shooting Remington shotguns and rifles all my life but in my opinion they missed the boat with the Ultimate.

.45 Knight Ultra Lite/Brux 1:20 Twist
.45 McRem SML Black Ice
.45 Hankins SML
.40 RemPac SML
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cornfedkiller

PostSubject: Re: What can you guys tell me about Knight muzzleloaders?   January 21st 2016, 8:36 pm

Well.....the morning after I started this thread, I got the call from my local gun shop that the Remington was on its way, so it's too late to turn back now.

I guess we'll see how it turns out.  Hopefully I get a good one and don't have any issues.  If I do have problems, I know which route I will go for my next gun. 

I will keep you guys posted!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 14527
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: What can you guys tell me about Knight muzzleloaders?   January 21st 2016, 8:58 pm

Well, if anything is wrong, All I can suggest is that you give customer service to make it right. I know I tend to go off the wall when something comes in broke, but its best to just give them a chance. Good luck! I hope it comes in safely and ready to make some thunder!
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
GregK

PostSubject: Re: What can you guys tell me about Knight muzzleloaders?   January 22nd 2016, 5:58 am

cornfedkiller wrote:
Well.....the morning after I started this thread, I got the call from my local gun shop that the Remington was on its way, so it's too late to turn back now.

I guess we'll see how it turns out.  Hopefully I get a good one and don't have any issues.  If I do have problems, I know which route I will go for my next gun. 

Good luck with your purchase & I hope it turns out to be one of the good ones!!!

I would suggest using a good bore polish like Rem 40x bore cleaner or some Flitz & after your initial cleaning give that bore a good polishing.

Greg

McRem 40cal SML

2600 ft/s

Knight Mountainer LTD
45cal / 1-20 twist
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cornfedkiller

PostSubject: Re: What can you guys tell me about Knight muzzleloaders?   January 22nd 2016, 6:13 am

GregK wrote:
cornfedkiller wrote:

Good luck with your purchase & I hope it turns out to be one of the good ones!!!

I would suggest using a good bore polish like Rem 40x bore cleaner or some Flitz & after your initial cleaning give that bore a good polishing.

Greg

Thanks.  I have some J-B bore paste on order and plan on doing just that! 

Clean the barrel first though? Never used bore a bore polish or anything before, so I'm unsure about the whole process.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GregK

PostSubject: Re: What can you guys tell me about Knight muzzleloaders?   January 22nd 2016, 6:50 pm

cornfedkiller wrote:
GregK wrote:
cornfedkiller wrote:

Greg

Thanks.  I have some J-B bore paste on order and plan on doing just that! 

Clean the barrel first though? Never used bore a bore polish or anything before, so I'm unsure about the whole process.
I would remove any factory applied oils from the bore first

Greg

McRem 40cal SML

2600 ft/s

Knight Mountainer LTD
45cal / 1-20 twist
Back to top Go down
View user profile
muznut

Number of posts : 704
Registration date : 2012-01-24

PostSubject: Re: What can you guys tell me about Knight muzzleloaders?   January 23rd 2016, 9:15 am

I had the disk extreme in 45cal and it was a tack driver, I liked it even more after I put a carrier free lehigh breech plug with the replaceable vent liner in it. I wound up selling it because It had a thumb hole stock that I didn't really care fore for my style of hunting.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
WV Hunter

Male Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2012-12-28

PostSubject: Re: What can you guys tell me about Knight muzzleloaders?   January 26th 2016, 9:54 am

muznut wrote:
I had the disk extreme in 45cal and it was a tack driver, I liked it even more after I put a carrier free lehigh breech plug with the replaceable vent liner in it. I wound up selling it because It had a thumb hole stock that I didn't really care fore for my style of hunting.

Yes, they are great rifles and drive tacks! Hindsight, you could have just picked up a std stock for it, either purchase outright or trade. I hope Knight brings back the .45 as a regular offering at some point.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ceader savage

Number of posts : 250
Registration date : 2009-06-06

PostSubject: Re: What can you guys tell me about Knight muzzleloaders?   January 26th 2016, 10:55 am

What Altimate muzzleloaders in Michigan had to say I would listen to. They were made for 4-5 pellets not Black Horn Not what Remington had to say
Back to top Go down
View user profile
muznut

Number of posts : 704
Registration date : 2012-01-24

PostSubject: Re: What can you guys tell me about Knight muzzleloaders?   January 29th 2016, 8:52 am

WV Hunter wrote:
muznut wrote:

Yes, they are great rifles and drive tacks! Hindsight, you could have just picked up a std stock for it, either purchase outright or trade. I hope Knight brings back the .45 as a regular offering at some point.
Yes I could have swapped the stock but I traded towards a Henry 45/70 and that's what I wanted most.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Old Smoke

Male Number of posts : 247
Registration date : 2016-01-28

PostSubject: Re: What can you guys tell me about Knight muzzleloaders?   February 6th 2016, 3:04 pm

Does that Mountaineer have a SS barrel or is it just painted/coated that color?

And what is with the coating on inside of barrel?  It'll come off eventually.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
WV Hunter

Male Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2012-12-28

PostSubject: Re: What can you guys tell me about Knight muzzleloaders?   February 7th 2016, 7:44 am

Old Smoke wrote:
Does that Mountaineer have a SS barrel or is it just painted/coated that color?

And what is with the coating on inside of barrel?  It'll come off eventually.

Knight has always used top quality real stainless barrels. They are solid 416 stainless made by Green Mountain, match grade. All the parts are upper end on Knights. 

As for the DynaTek coating...I believe they started doing that just as an added benefit for the consumer. It is supposed to help reduce fouling, and gives an added level of protection to the rifle. Does it wear off over time...I couldn't tell you. What I do know is, I have a couple stainless Knight rifles that are almost 25yrs old, that have been maintained well and are still like brand new inside and out. The coating is not needed, but I would consider it a plus that its included on the new rifles. Can't hurt, that is for sure. Any coating/treatment used on any ML doesn't give a pass on proper cleaning and care.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ourway77

Male Number of posts : 127
Registration date : 2011-02-11

PostSubject: Re: What can you guys tell me about Knight muzzleloaders?   February 13th 2016, 3:23 am

I Have been a fan of Knight rifles from day one. From the MK-85's to the present just bought a Knight Mountaineer in 45 caliber 1-20 twist. I also have a Knight Master Hunter that I have sent a lot of Deer to the big woods in the sky. I have made shot in excess of 200 yards. I have heard good feedback on the Remington and some bad. Every one is right Remington of late has went down hill. Remington rifles earlier ones were great shooters right out of the box. The Remington 700 ML was a flop but I love the actions for SML builds. If legal in your state I would go Smokeless Then you would have a 300 yard plus ML'er easier too clean and not corrosive. Good Luck with what ever you decide Lou
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What can you guys tell me about Knight muzzleloaders?   

Back to top Go down

What can you guys tell me about Knight muzzleloaders?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Modern Muzzleloading-
Jump to: