View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Kentucky Colonel
FML's
FML's

Male Number of posts : 1477
Registration date : 2015-10-28

PostSubject: Re: GRRW IS BACK, NOW CALLED - "GRRW CA" - "Building One Gun At A Time"   May 13th 2016, 6:57 pm

Well, Tom sent the original GRRW rifle kit and I got it today.  

This will be built through Buck's GRRW CA assembled original 
GRRW gunsmiths. I won't try my hand at this one. It needs to 
be done right.

Wow. Just wow. I opened my box and found another inside. 
The second box was the original shipping box addressed 
from GRRW and dated from the 1970's. 

Inside, I found incredibly detailed original receipts and original letters that placed the original 
order and confirmed the order from GRRW. There was even a back order for a front sight. This 
included envelops with the old postage and USPS shipping date stamps. There were newspapers 
from the 1970s stuffing the box. There were original Hawken blue prints that have handwritten 
directions, art, and measurements. (I intend to frame one of these!) 

There was also an original GRRW catalog/flier and more.

Seriously, my last week is no where near as organized as this guy is from 1978. Amazing.
And, no musty smell. Stored in air-con.

I have not unwrapped, yet. I do not have tape to put it all back. 
I will open it when I can do it right.

But, everything is so together, I have no doubts. I can see the bright GRRW barrel through 
the plastic and held the ram rod.

This was so nice... I was a boy when this rifle kit was originally sold. Seeing those old 
stamps, the old catalog and all the other stuff put me back in my old friend's garages where 
we talked a big game about the guns we wanted to buy and swapped catalogs. (We had no 
money, but that did not stop us from dreaming.)

And, now I have one like it was the 1970s again!

I am so looking forward to seeing this rifle built. GRRW rides again! Thanks to a 
a little luck and Buck's GRRW CA efforts.

PS I can move this to another thread, if need be. Seemed relevant here? Let me know.

PPS Carl Walker, first GRRW employee and gunsmith. Buck has corralled him into GRRW CA 
in some capacity, I think.

Florida Muzzleloaders Association 
Central Florida Muzzleloaders 
Green River Rifle Works Collectors Association
NMLRA

Last edited by Kentucky Colonel on May 14th 2016, 7:18 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 1400
Registration date : 2015-10-20

PostSubject: Re: GRRW IS BACK, NOW CALLED - "GRRW CA" - "Building One Gun At A Time"   May 14th 2016, 6:51 am

Kentucky Colonel wrote:
The second box was the original shipping box addressed from GRRW and dated from the 1970's...... 
Inside, I found incredibly detailed original receipts and original letters that placed the original 
order and confirmed the order from GRRW. There was even a back order for a front sight. This 
included envelops with the old postage and USPS shipping date stamps. There were newspapers 
from the 1970s stuffing the box. There were original Hawken blue prints that have handwritten 
directions, art, and measurements. (I intend to frame one of these!) 

There was also an original GRRW catalog/flier and more.   Stored in air-con.

I have not unwrapped, yet. I do not have tape to put it all back. 
I will open it when I can do it right. I have no doubts. I can see the bright GRRW barrel through 
the plastic and held the ram rod.

I am so looking forward to seeing this rifle built. GRRW rides again! Thanks to a 
a little luck and Buck's GRRW CA efforts.

KC keep everything and DO NOT send any of the original packaging, pack everything in new boxes, new wrapping paper with bubble wrap (most of the firms like Fed Ex or UPS have supplies). You want to keep everything from your purchase, boxes, paperwork and anything from the original purchase in 1970. This way once the gun is completed you'll have pictures of the GRRW original kit and the original shipping items mentioned, plus the end results a completed GRRW rifle.

Guys the neat part of this subject is KC will have pictures of an original GRRW kit, all the original packaging and his new rifle we be built by the GRRW gunsmith that assembled the kit in 1970 in Doc Whites single car garage at the start of GRRW. GRRW gunsmith Carl Walker couldn't believe this kit was still in tack, most guys would have destroyed all the packaging and made an attempt at putting it together.

KC you have a neat purchase, good job.

Last edited by conner on October 9th 2017, 9:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://grrwca..com/
Kentucky Colonel
FML's
FML's

PostSubject: Re: GRRW IS BACK, NOW CALLED - "GRRW CA" - "Building One Gun At A Time"   May 14th 2016, 7:29 am

The original GRRW employees from the 1970s 
(So cool when the rest of the country was into polyester leisure suits!)

"KC you have a neat purchase, good job."  king

"keep everything from your purchase" 

Good. I was wondering how I would handle the original box and stuff when I sent it to be built.

I have an extensive e-mail find/purchase trail to print out, Muley's original thread, and this thread to print. I may even break out my big boy camera. The cell phone stuff is good, but I may want to print a bigger picture some day and that needs more data/per image.

PICS OF ART AND STAINING DIRECTIONS FROM THE BLUE PRINTS
(still taken with a cell phone in uneven light. I will do better later)

Guys? Do you want to see more pics of this? I don't want to annoy anyone, but I am excited about this one.

"Carl Walker couldn't believe this kit was still in tack" 

Me, either. It is like a time capsule.

NMLRA

Last edited by Kentucky Colonel on May 14th 2016, 8:35 am; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kentucky Colonel
FML's
FML's

PostSubject: Re: GRRW IS BACK, NOW CALLED - "GRRW CA" - "Building One Gun At A Time"   May 19th 2016, 8:14 am

NOTE: Muley! Please, DO NOT delete this thread! I need to print it and need more ink!

Blurry pic of art from the original rifle Blue Prints

The original American Long Rifle post on this kit for sale has been deleted. 

Not a tragedy as I have a LOT of documentation, but if you know of more 
places that talked about selling this kit? 

Please, let me know? 

Thank you.

NMLRA
Back to top Go down
View user profile
conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: GRRW IS BACK, NOW CALLED - "GRRW CA" - "Building One Gun At A Time"   October 13th 2016, 3:57 pm

Quote :

I have a J & S Hawken, .50 cal. - 32" barrel, 14 inch length of pull under construction at this time. This rifle is copied from one of the originals in the Jim Gordon Collection. Will be a slim rifle like its counterpart should be in the 8.75 to 9 lb. range.

With this rifle we have made since the first of the year (3) J & S Hawken Rifles - .62, .58 and .50 caliber, (2) Bridger Rifles - both .58 calibers, (1) Hawken 1/2 stock - .62 caliber, (!) NW Trade Gun - .62 caliber and (1) Trapper Pistol in .58 cal. Have a dozen guys now waiting their turn, pretty good for smith's old enough to belong to the "Old Farts Club".

Back to top Go down
conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: GRRW IS BACK, NOW CALLED - "GRRW CA" - "Building One Gun At A Time"   March 7th 2017, 8:19 am

Good Morning folks,

Here's a heads up for you. I just updated the GRRW CA website at: http://grrw.ca.tripod.com/index.htm   As time allows I'll do the same with GRRW CA other location on the Internet.

Check out the  FIREARMS BUILT BY THIS PROJECT

Thank you for your time.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: GRRW IS BACK, NOW CALLED - "GRRW CA" - "Building One Gun At A Time"   

Back to top Go down

GRRW IS BACK, NOW CALLED - "GRRW CA" - "Building One Gun At A Time"
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Traditional Muzzleloading :: Gun Builders Corner-
Jump to: