Muzzleloading Forum

HomeFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Share | 

New CVA NW Breechplug design availability?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Butcher45

Number of posts : 73
Registration date : 2014-06-09

PostSubject: New CVA NW Breechplug design availability?   January 30th 2016, 12:25 am

I am hearing there is a new CVA NW Breechplug design that may be out/coming out, that has a black nipple.

Anyone seen it available anywhere yet?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 14527
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: New CVA NW Breechplug design availability?   January 30th 2016, 12:31 am

Havent seen it yet, but they've used a nipple made of a hard steel and epoxied it into the QRBP so its non removable.

They fear if they make the nipple removable, folks will swap other brands of nipples. With nipple length varying from brand to brand, if the person installed a longer nipple into the break action set up, it could set it off. I agree with their thinking to a point, but they last a long time on these newer guns VS our old hammer set ups on the sidelocks.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
Butcher45

Number of posts : 73
Registration date : 2014-06-09

PostSubject: Re: New CVA NW Breechplug design availability?   January 30th 2016, 1:01 pm

FrontierGander wrote:
Havent seen it yet, but they've used a nipple made of a hard steel and epoxied it into the QRBP so its non removable.

They fear if they make the nipple removable, folks will swap other brands of nipples. With nipple length varying from brand to brand, if the person installed a longer nipple into the break action set up, it could set it off. I agree with their thinking to a point, but they last a long time on these newer guns VS our old hammer set ups on the sidelocks.

Not sure if I'm reading this right........

So in effect, it's a disposable breech-plug after the nipple wears out?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
180pilot

Male Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2016-05-12

PostSubject: Re: New CVA NW Breechplug design availability?   May 12th 2016, 11:18 pm

Just came over from Shooter' Forum, and also just got a new replacement barrel from CVA with the new "Breech Plug", as stated on the replacement report.  They didn't tell me anything about epoxy?  I just assumed it would be removable to clean out the flame channel.  The nipple is black, and recessed about 1/16" from plug face.  Would seem any nipple, with cap installed, that doesn't protrude longer then the face causing interference with the breech, when closed, would work.  Also, notice it has no lug on it for a standard nipple wrench.     Think now, I will call them and ask about the "epoxy".......

Last edited by 180pilot on May 13th 2016, 12:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
180pilot

Male Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2016-05-12

PostSubject: Re: New CVA NW Breechplug design availability?   May 13th 2016, 10:56 am

OK, talked with CVA,  and my questions got a lot of "wait a minute", then an answer generated by someone other then who I was talking to..  The problem they are trying to fix is the softness of the 416 stainless nipple originally machined into the breech plug. It was getting peened enough by some to cause misfires.   So, this new nipple is hardened carbon steel, they didn't know the Rockwell on it.  Or the thread, only a comment on the metric thread size on their other standard nipples, 6-.1mm,  was the secondary returned answer.  Their only answer on cleaning is to use a soak and nipple pick to clean it...
My take,  if I shine a very bright light from the powder side flash hole, I see channel is same diameter as orifice in nipple all the way to flash hole.  A pipe cleaner will scour it's length down to that.   What I can't tell is if the nipple is threaded into that channel, with bore scope up to nipple's opening I can see a break line at the approximate depth.  I tried running some cold blueing in with a flat toothpick to indicate the carbon steel separation from the stainless.  However, the angle and lighting, I just can't see color difference.

Since nipple does have hex head base, kind of indicates it's threaded in.  Epoxy with this  does not seem like a good idea for those soaking these in carb cleaners, and constant hammering from firing pin?  Would really like to see a drawing of this new plug... I told them they need to put out info on it or others are going to round off that hex trying to get it out...And they will be getting calls....

I could try heating the nipple with high watt solder gun and see if epoxy will let go, or heat entire plug in small oven to 400°. But, there are some high temp epoxies that are cured with heat.  If I was tech doing this, would use high temp Loctite thread locker 2620, good to 650 degrees, fast, no mixing, but if done overseas???
A 8mm socket fits it just a tad loose..  I might bet it is a different thread then any standard musket cap nipple to keep anyone from experimenting if they get it out??

http://www.us.henkel-adhesives-blog.com/post/All-About-Threadlockers/How-to-Remove-Loctite-2620-Red-Threadlocker/

Notice color of tank, appears he is using MAPP.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New CVA NW Breechplug design availability?   

Back to top Go down

New CVA NW Breechplug design availability?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Modern Muzzleloading-
Jump to: