Pedersoli Rocky Mountain Hawken?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Earl Burlin

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2016-02-01

PostSubject: Pedersoli Rocky Mountain Hawken?   February 1st 2016, 9:16 pm

Hello all! Very Happy 

I'm brand new here, this is my first post. I have shot black powder handguns, revolvers and single-shot pistols, for some time now. I love it. But, I need a rifle!

Originally, I was planning to buy an Enfield rifled musket, but after thinking about it for a while, a traditional Hawken style rifle shooting PRB would be much more practical for me. I plan to target shoot, and occasionally hunt deer, boar, and who knows what else. So I've been looking at the options, my budget is no more than $1000. I considered a Lyman Great Plains rifle, but all the example I've seen don't exhibit very good fit and finish. I'd rather have a better looking gun.

So a few months back, I found myself at Cabelas and they had a Pedersoli Rocky Mountain Hawken with maple wood in .50 caliber. It was AMAZINGLY beautiful, and when on sale, they sell it for $899 on their website. I personally would get the .54 version myself. Does anyone know if this rifle is an authentic representation of a J&S Hawken rifle from St. Louis (my hometown BTW)?

So are these rifles as good quality as they look? Does anyone own one or have shoot them? Any and all opinions are welcome. Thank you so much everyone, and thanks for having me!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Old Smoke

Male Number of posts : 288
Registration date : 2016-01-28

PostSubject: Re: Pedersoli Rocky Mountain Hawken?   February 2nd 2016, 4:02 am

Perdersoli has an excellent reputation.  I have no idea if the rifle pictured is an authentic representation.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
OldMtnMan

Male Number of posts : 9976
Registration date : 2010-09-23

PostSubject: Re: Pedersoli Rocky Mountain Hawken?   February 2nd 2016, 7:00 am

It's close enough to fool all but the most picky. You should be happy with it.

The .54 is a good choice and has a proper PRB twist.

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Grimord

Male Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2015-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Pedersoli Rocky Mountain Hawken?   February 2nd 2016, 10:16 am

I have one in .54 with the maple stock.  These are beautiful guns, and very close to original specs.  Mine shoots great with patched round ball.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RonC
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 994
Registration date : 2013-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Pedersoli Rocky Mountain Hawken?   February 2nd 2016, 10:21 am

I have several rifles made in the "Hawken style" and that Pedersoli is more like the many Hawken rifles than any one I have.
From the Cody Museum in Cody, WY, here are some S., J.S. Hawken and Gemmer (a relative of the Hawken family) rifles to compare for yourself
:

Ron

Outside of a Dog, a Book is Man’s Best Friend. Inside of a Dog, It’s Too Dark to Read. Groucho Marx (or possibly someone earlier)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Smokin' Joe

Male Number of posts : 1985
Registration date : 2011-11-23

PostSubject: Re: Pedersoli Rocky Mountain Hawken?   February 2nd 2016, 10:59 am

I just looked at the Cabelas site and it list this gun at $1299.   Available in .50 caliber and .54 caliber with twist rates of 1 in 48" on the .50 and 1 in 65" on the .54.  They'll definitely shoot a patched round ball well, if you see it for $899 that is probably a pretty good deal.

Nice job Ron on the Hawken displays!

Semper Fi……..

Pennsylvania Fowler Flintlock .62 Cal (46" Oct to round barrel)
Isaac Haines .54 cal. (38" swamped, 1:66 twist barrel). Build in progress
Investarm Hawken .54 cal. Percussion
CVA Accura MR nitride .50 cal. - 2-8x32 Nikon Monarch 3
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Smokin' Joe

Male Number of posts : 1985
Registration date : 2011-11-23

PostSubject: Re: Pedersoli Rocky Mountain Hawken?   February 2nd 2016, 3:06 pm

Hey Earl, there is a real beauty ".54 cal." on Gunbroker if your interested.  Might save you a few bucks too.

Semper Fi……..

Pennsylvania Fowler Flintlock .62 Cal (46" Oct to round barrel)
Isaac Haines .54 cal. (38" swamped, 1:66 twist barrel). Build in progress
Investarm Hawken .54 cal. Percussion
CVA Accura MR nitride .50 cal. - 2-8x32 Nikon Monarch 3
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RonC
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 994
Registration date : 2013-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Pedersoli Rocky Mountain Hawken?   February 2nd 2016, 3:44 pm

@Smokin' Joe wrote:
I just looked at the Cabelas site and it list this gun at $1299.   Available in .50 caliber and .54 caliber with twist rates of 1 in 48" on the .50 and 1 in 65" on the .54.  They'll definitely shoot a patched round ball well, if you see it for $899 that is probably a pretty good deal.

Nice job Ron on the Hawken displays!
I just LOVE that museum and could spend days looking over their collection.
When I was there, last, they had some 1800 firearms on loan from the Smithsonian.
Ron
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kentucky Colonel
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 1578
Registration date : 2015-10-28

PostSubject: Re: Pedersoli Rocky Mountain Hawken?   February 2nd 2016, 6:00 pm

RonC, I thought at first that was you home with all those guns! 
I was like WHHHHAAAAAT?!

Florida Muzzleloaders Association 
Central Florida Muzzleloaders 
Green River Rifle Works Collectors Association
NMLRA
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Earl Burlin

PostSubject: Re: Pedersoli Rocky Mountain Hawken?   February 2nd 2016, 6:34 pm

Thanks guys!

I'm specifically looking for a maple-stocked Pedersoli Hawken, .54 caliber. Normally these are $1299 from Cabelas, but every once in a while they have sales for them at $899, a great bargain. I'm just looking for any and all info on these rifles, trying to see if they're worth the money over something like a Lyman GPR.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Old Smoke

Male Number of posts : 288
Registration date : 2016-01-28

PostSubject: Re: Pedersoli Rocky Mountain Hawken?   February 2nd 2016, 6:40 pm

Earl,

I agree they are beautiful rifles.

But the $899 price just goes to show how over priced they are the rest of the time!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Earl Burlin

PostSubject: Re: Pedersoli Rocky Mountain Hawken?   February 2nd 2016, 7:40 pm

@Old Smoke wrote:
Earl,

I agree they are beautiful rifles.

But the $899 price just goes to show how over priced they are the rest of the time!

I agree! I should have went ahead and "bit the bullet" (pun intended) around Christmas when they were on sale. Oh well, I feel like if I can snag one for the $899 occasional sale price, I'll have done well.

So to those of you who have handled Lyman GPR, do you think the Pedersoli Hawkens are nicer?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MattRaymond

Number of posts : 89
Registration date : 2015-10-28

PostSubject: Re: Pedersoli Rocky Mountain Hawken?   February 3rd 2016, 2:27 pm

I have a Lyman GPR caplock in .54. The gun has a few fit issues, but they don't overshadow it's performance. They only come in Walnut, so if you're set on Maple, go with the Pedersoli. The only fit issues I had with mine was that the bolster just barely touched the front of the cutout on the lock. It actually took me awhile to notice it. Didn't affect performance, just wasn't perfect. I have since filed that part of the lock plate to better match the bolster and touched it up with cold blue. When I first got the gun, the stock was smooth, but a little rough for my liking. I have since lightly sanded it with fine grit paper and Boiled Linseed oil to fill the pores and seal the grain. I then hand rubbed about 12 coats of BLO and the stock is amazing now! I got mine factory built from Midsouth Shooters. I would have bought it as a kit, but probably would have spent more $ finishing it to the point it is now. Pedersoli's are really nice and you probably won't have to tinker with it at all. But If you're looking for an awesome shooter that you can kinda tinker with and make it your own, I go with a Lyman.

All that being said, I think the Pedersoli's are a nicer gun and the fit and finish is better that the Lyman. As far as shooting, I'd say they are about equal. Pedersoli's have more authentic sights and I think the locks are better, but I'm not sure they are 2x or 3x as good based on price.

Although another way to look at it is that if you got a Lyman, weren't quite happy with it and started upgrading the lock to an L&R, swapping out the sights, upgrading the triggers, reshaping the stock etc...You'd be just about at the price of a discounted Pedersoli.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Pedersoli Rocky Mountain Hawken?   

Back to top Go down

Pedersoli Rocky Mountain Hawken?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Traditional Muzzleloading-
Jump to: