Muzzleloading Forum
 
HomeGalleryFAQSearchRegisterLog in



Ads


Share | 
 

 Adventures of a Rookie Reloader

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
BigAl52
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &
avatar

Male Number of posts : 525
Age : 65
Location : Evans, Colorado
Registration date : 2016-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Adventures of a Rookie Reloader   Mon 12 Mar - 21:59

I think thats kinda like not getting enough case lube on a shell your resizing and getting it stuck in the sizing die. Wait till you do that the first time. Its alot of fun getting one out. Colonel been following along with interest. One thing I have acquired in the last few years was the RCBS Chargemaster 1500 scale and powder dispenser. Ya I know there close to 300.00 but let me tell when you use one you will love it. Speeds the process way up. Have you had to trim any brass yet? Another item I like is the Lyman Case prep express. If your patient and keep looking you will catch them on sale. I bought the case prep machine a while back for 90.00. Its a great addition for cleaning pockets. I also use the lyman  to inside ream the flash holes of the primer pockets with there reamer that screws into one of the stations. These items  are just thoughts for additions to your new hobby. Al

_________________
Have you ever just sat and thought man I've been through a lot of shit

TC Hawken 58 cal Green Mtn drop in barrel
TC Renegade 58 cal
GRRW 50 cal
GRRW 58 cal
Lyman GPR 54 cal flintlock L&R lock davis deerslayer trigger
Lyman Trade Rifle 54 cal
CVA Hawken 58 cal by Jonathan
Hawken Squirrel Rifle 40 cal by John Bergman
Pedersoli Penn Rifle 50 cal flintlock
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Marty
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &
avatar

Male Number of posts : 3432
Age : 62
Location : Massachusetts
Registration date : 2009-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Adventures of a Rookie Reloader   Tue 13 Mar - 8:47

@patocazador wrote:
@Kentucky Colonel wrote:
Yes. But, I did crush a few cases on the next reload by mistake. 
Learned how to use the bullet puller. Mad 

Still worth it.

I did the same thing last week reforming 7x57 brass to 7.65 Argentine. I forgot to trim the necks to the correct OAL. When I tried to chamber them in the gun, they wouldn't go so I forced one. I wound up with a jammed rifle and a crushed case. 
CRS is hell.  scratch
Pat', were you able to un-jam the rifle yourself Question
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buck Conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &
avatar

Male Number of posts : 2365
Age : 78
Location : Lehi Utah
Registration date : 2015-10-20

PostSubject: Re: Adventures of a Rookie Reloader   Tue 13 Mar - 9:59

@BigAl52 wrote:
I think thats kinda like not getting enough case lube on a shell your resizing and getting it stuck in the sizing die. Wait till you do that the first time. Its alot of fun getting one out. Colonel been following along with interest. One thing I have acquired in the last few years was the RCBS Chargemaster 1500 scale and powder dispenser. Ya I know there close to 300.00 but let me tell when you use one you will love it. Speeds the process way up. Have you had to trim any brass yet? Another item I like is the Lyman Case prep express. If your patient and keep looking you will catch them on sale. I bought the case prep machine a while back for 90.00. Its a great addition for cleaning pockets. I also use the lyman  to inside ream the flash holes of the primer pockets with there reamer that screws into one of the stations. These items  are just thoughts for additions to your new hobby. Al

Have the Lyman Case Prep Express setup also, nice addition.

_________________
   CONTACT - GREEN RIVER RIFLE WORKS COLLECTORS ASSOCIATION - RIFLES & PISTOLS AT: grrw.ca@gmail.com   WEBSITE: http://grrw.ca.tripod.com/index.htm


.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://grrwca..com/
patocazador

avatar

Number of posts : 5835
Age : 75
Location : central Florida
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Adventures of a Rookie Reloader   Tue 13 Mar - 10:56

@Marty wrote:
@patocazador wrote:
I did the same thing last week reforming 7x57 brass to 7.65 Argentine. I forgot to trim the necks to the correct OAL. When I tried to chamber them in the gun, they wouldn't go so I forced one. I wound up with a jammed rifle and a crushed case. 
CRS is hell.  scratch
Pat', were you able to un-jam the rifle yourself Question

Yes Marty. 
I had to take my leather mallet and hit the bolt handle several times to open the action. Then I used a cleaning rod with a flat jag in the muzzle and tapped the cartridge back into the open action. I tapped hard enough to knock the bullet into the case but it all worked out. I cut the mangled case in half to salvage the bullet.

_________________
Bob

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RonC
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &
avatar

Male Number of posts : 1019
Age : 71
Location : Golden, CO
Registration date : 2013-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Adventures of a Rookie Reloader   Tue 20 Mar - 9:30

The only cartridge I reload, now, is .45 Colt.
9mm has been inexpensive enough locally and online that it just doesn't pay (time, price and energy) for me to reload. 45 ACP might be beneficial to reload after balancing out the cost of casings, bullets, caps and powder, but ignoring the time cost.
I have reloaded 30-06, but my pre-occupation with black powder has displaced my 30-06 shooting so there is no need for me to reload more.
If I start to shoot 7.5 x 55 and 6.5 x 55 more, then I might get back to reloading those calibers.
Ron

_________________
RonC

What do I care about future generations?
What did they ever do for me? 
Comedian Groucho Marx
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buck Conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &
avatar

Male Number of posts : 2365
Age : 78
Location : Lehi Utah
Registration date : 2015-10-20

PostSubject: Re: Adventures of a Rookie Reloader   Tue 20 Mar - 10:06

@RonC wrote:
The only cartridge I reload, now, is .45 Colt.
9mm has been inexpensive enough locally and online that it just doesn't pay (time, price and energy) for me to reload...........
If I start to shoot 7.5 x 55 and 6.5 x 55 more, then I might get back to reloading those calibers.
Ron

Agreed, I'm finding 9mm for under $10 bucks a box here. 6.5 is a different story.....   scratch

_________________
   CONTACT - GREEN RIVER RIFLE WORKS COLLECTORS ASSOCIATION - RIFLES & PISTOLS AT: grrw.ca@gmail.com   WEBSITE: http://grrw.ca.tripod.com/index.htm


.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://grrwca..com/
mark1945

avatar

Male Number of posts : 110
Age : 73
Location : Portland Texas
Registration date : 2015-08-20

PostSubject: Re: Adventures of a Rookie Reloader   Tue 20 Mar - 11:25

I reload several different calibers

_________________
CVA 50 cal Mountain Rifle         Pedersoli Quigley 45/70          Pedratti  45/90  sharps                             
CVA 50 cal Mountain Pistol        Pedersoli Quigley 45/120        Lyman Great Plains 54 cal Flintlock
2 CVA 45 cal  Kentucky Rifles    Pedersoli Kodiak Safari 72 cal  Pietta 1858 Remington New Army 44 cal
Cabelas 58 cal Hawken             Colt Navy 36 cal                     Pietta 1863 Remington pocket rev 31 cal
Pedersoli Kodiak 58 cal             CVA 58 Cal. Mountain Rifle      Classic Arms Co 44 Cal New Orleans Ace
CVA 45 Cal Derringer               TC Renegade 54cal                 Navy Arms Co. Pietta 12 gauge double
Pedersoli 12 gauge double        Traditions Crockett 32 cal        2 Traditions Mountain Rifles 50 cal
Pietta 1851 Conf Navy 44
Back to top Go down
View user profile
patocazador

avatar

Number of posts : 5835
Age : 75
Location : central Florida
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Adventures of a Rookie Reloader   Tue 20 Mar - 11:34

The only reason I reload 9mm is for protection. I use them in a couple of compact, concealable pistols. I use hollow point frangible bullets with powder charges large enough to make these bullets expand reliably. You can't find those cartridges for under $10/box. They cost more than $1/cartridge and I can reload them for less than that. Lehigh ammo costs $1.65/round. That's $33/box of 20 cartridges.

_________________
Bob

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buck Conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &
avatar

Male Number of posts : 2365
Age : 78
Location : Lehi Utah
Registration date : 2015-10-20

PostSubject: Re: Adventures of a Rookie Reloader   Tue 20 Mar - 13:21

Bob the one thing to consider is a possible lawsuit, one that went bad a few years ago for a reloader back East was him using his home grown ammo for his protection. He killed the bad guy but that person's family files a lawsuit that his ammo was meant to do more than average damage than over the over the counter stuff. The poor guy spent a lot of money on attorney fees and still lost the case costing more $$$ for the bad guy's family to enjoy. Not fair but it can happen. 

At an NRA training section we were told when you pull the trigger, the first thing you do is call your attorney, then call the police and say nothing and wait for your attorney to arrive. Your going to spend a lot of $$$ on what has happened.

_________________
   CONTACT - GREEN RIVER RIFLE WORKS COLLECTORS ASSOCIATION - RIFLES & PISTOLS AT: grrw.ca@gmail.com   WEBSITE: http://grrw.ca.tripod.com/index.htm


.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://grrwca..com/
patocazador

avatar

Number of posts : 5835
Age : 75
Location : central Florida
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Adventures of a Rookie Reloader   Tue 20 Mar - 14:12

Buck, if someone is trying to kill or rob me, I'll fire as soon as I can and worry about consequences later.

I've been in more than one situation where someone pulled a weapon on me. Once, the guy even shot at me. I didn't have a weapon in those encounters. I have since 'wised up'.

"I'd rather be tried by 12 than carried by six."

_________________
Bob

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Marty
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &
avatar

Male Number of posts : 3432
Age : 62
Location : Massachusetts
Registration date : 2009-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Adventures of a Rookie Reloader   Wed 21 Mar - 10:20

@Buck Conner wrote:
Bob the one thing to consider is a possible lawsuit, one that went bad a few years ago for a reloader back East was him using his home grown ammo for his protection. He killed the bad guy but that person's family files a lawsuit that his ammo was meant to do more than average damage than over the over the counter stuff. The poor guy spent a lot of money on attorney fees and still lost the case costing more $$$ for the bad guy's family to enjoy. Not fair but it can happen. 

At an NRA training section we were told when you pull the trigger, the first thing you do is call your attorney, then call the police and say nothing and wait for your attorney to arrive. Your going to spend a lot of $$$ on what has happened.
I was taught many years ago in a certified Personal Protection Training Course that if you believe your life is truly in danger you fire until the threat has stopped.

What's the difference between several fatal rounds through the attacker and one apparently very lethal round Question


Last edited by Marty on Tue 27 Mar - 11:00; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Marty
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &
avatar

Male Number of posts : 3432
Age : 62
Location : Massachusetts
Registration date : 2009-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Adventures of a Rookie Reloader   Wed 21 Mar - 10:37

Nice set-up mark1945.  

Do you use the same bullet for the 45-70, 45-90 and the 45-120 Question
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mark1945

avatar

Male Number of posts : 110
Age : 73
Location : Portland Texas
Registration date : 2015-08-20

PostSubject: Re: Adventures of a Rookie Reloader   Wed 21 Mar - 13:28

I use a 405 cast for the 45/70 and 45/90 but have a 515 cast I use for the 45/120 both are from Lee molds. Thanks for liking my die set up if I ever get my bench presentable again Ill will post a pic of it but right now its a mess building a Traditions Mountain kit.

_________________
CVA 50 cal Mountain Rifle         Pedersoli Quigley 45/70          Pedratti  45/90  sharps                             
CVA 50 cal Mountain Pistol        Pedersoli Quigley 45/120        Lyman Great Plains 54 cal Flintlock
2 CVA 45 cal  Kentucky Rifles    Pedersoli Kodiak Safari 72 cal  Pietta 1858 Remington New Army 44 cal
Cabelas 58 cal Hawken             Colt Navy 36 cal                     Pietta 1863 Remington pocket rev 31 cal
Pedersoli Kodiak 58 cal             CVA 58 Cal. Mountain Rifle      Classic Arms Co 44 Cal New Orleans Ace
CVA 45 Cal Derringer               TC Renegade 54cal                 Navy Arms Co. Pietta 12 gauge double
Pedersoli 12 gauge double        Traditions Crockett 32 cal        2 Traditions Mountain Rifles 50 cal
Pietta 1851 Conf Navy 44
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Adventures of a Rookie Reloader   

Back to top Go down
 
Adventures of a Rookie Reloader
Back to top 
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Modern Shooting :: Ammo & Reloading Bench-
Jump to: