View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 14691
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Kentucky bore day tomorrow   February 4th 2016, 8:12 pm

Alright, tomorrow I am getting back to work on the kentucky bore.

I got it loaded right now with 20gr 2fg goex and ran my camera down. Tomorrow, I'll adjust to 25 grains and check down the bore with the camera to see where I am seated. I want to be very close to that nasty pitted area so it can really force the patch and knock that area down really well.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

PostSubject: Re: Kentucky bore day tomorrow   February 6th 2016, 12:44 pm

WHEW! 22 shots today ranging from 20 grains on up to 100 grains 2fg goex. Man, it was fun though! I had to flip the flint because it became to stubby to knap anymore. After that I was back in action.

I had 3 fail to spark ( 1 due to fouling and the other 2 due to the thick flint) & then 1 flash in the pan when I added to little of powder. Other than that, she was fast and accurate.

I found a new load of 60gr 2fg goex to group excellent at 50 yards.

When I upped my charge to 100gr, I started using precut .015" patches and normally, these are shredded up badly. Today, there was zero shredding/holes/cuts. I think I am getting a lot of the roughness out of the bore. All the other shots I used .018" pillow tick that I cut at the muzzle.

Really no need for pictures until I clean the rifle and run the bore cam down.
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

PostSubject: Re: Kentucky bore day tomorrow   February 8th 2016, 10:37 pm

Just swabbed the bore out tonight and ran the camera down the bore.

Muzzle,

Mid-Barrel,

Breech - Nasty pit ring is actually smoothing out a lot! More loads with 30gr 2FG Goex will be shot to smooth this area out more.

Back to top Go down
Smokin' Joe
FML's
FML's

Male Number of posts : 1802
Registration date : 2011-11-23

PostSubject: Re: Kentucky bore day tomorrow   February 9th 2016, 7:34 am

The breech area is pitted into the barrel.  That will take a lot of smoothing to repair that.  Of course, with a full load of black powder, a patch and a ball, the ball probably sits just past that pitted area.

Semper Fi……..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MattRaymond

Number of posts : 71
Registration date : 2015-10-28

PostSubject: Re: Kentucky bore day tomorrow   February 9th 2016, 8:29 am

Looks like it's coming along.  Can't wait to give my barrels the treatment after my "Shootout" arrives.  I haven't scoped my old Bobcat bore but it was pretty rough like that when I got it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ceader savage

Number of posts : 252
Registration date : 2009-06-06

PostSubject: Re: Kentucky bore day tomorrow   February 9th 2016, 4:06 pm

Did u ever use 4 leave clover valve grinding compound ? Its works real well for just what you posted 20 to 40 laps with this stuffs works great
Back to top Go down
View user profile
patocazador
Site
Site

Number of posts : 5423
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Kentucky bore day tomorrow   February 9th 2016, 6:45 pm

Today I wrapped some 0000 steel wool around a bronze brush and gave a .45 cal 25 strokes with valve grinding paste. After that it was still rough as a cob so I shot some patched balls with Jon's "Shoot Out". This barrel is too far gone, I believe, for anything to help it. However, I think sleeving this barrel to a .36 is what it needs.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

PostSubject: Re: Kentucky bore day tomorrow   February 9th 2016, 6:48 pm

Keep shooting it. If its that  rough " hard to say without pics" I believe you are correct in a liner being up next.

What gun is it anyway Bob?
Back to top Go down
patocazador
Site
Site

Number of posts : 5423
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Kentucky bore day tomorrow   February 9th 2016, 6:51 pm

It's an FIE PR (Italian) long rifle with a cheap 2-piece stock in .45 - 1:48 twist. The whole gun is probably not worth over $75.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

PostSubject: Re: Kentucky bore day tomorrow   February 9th 2016, 7:25 pm

oh I had one of those years ago. Cool little rifle and a blast to shoot.
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

PostSubject: Re: Kentucky bore day tomorrow   February 10th 2016, 11:37 am

Alright guys, I fully cleaned and oiled the barrel last night on the ol flinter. When I took the above pics, I just ran a couple patches down the bore to clean it up good enough for some pics.

I am happier with these pictures as it shows, while there are still frosted and dark marks in the barrel for now, the are much more uniform and smoothed down a lot than when I started.

Also, I am going to order a much smaller bore camera so i can bend the cord and get pictures of the bore the other direction.

If you notice, when I am further away, the pitting looks a lot worse than what I actually is. I am picking up shadows on the slight ridges with the deeper pitting and its throwing the eye off on what we are actually seeing.

Take this picture for example. Not the first pit ring, but the next one down lower where the powder sits.

Now, this is the second pit ring area up close. Notice how we got rid of the shadow and how the pitting doesnt look no where near as bad as it does in the pic above?

This pic, mid barrel, has me very happy. I remember is being very rough with some deep pitting and after those 40 shots, its really coming back to life and smoothing out the rifling. I say another 40 shots and then I'll be seeing a real big difference.

For now, I can load up 100gr 2fg goex and she doesnt burn or tear up any patches which is a massive improvement as before when I first started, she was tearing up .020" patches!
Back to top Go down
SKami

Male Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2016-01-18

PostSubject: Re: Kentucky bore day tomorrow   February 11th 2016, 6:05 am

Have you thought about a fire lapping kit, i believe theres a company that sell muzzleloader kits for about 50$, i dont have any experience, but that may smooth some of those rough spots-the rifle still probably shoots very well now, though. A lighter load and a bullet embedded with compound might get some of that stuff closer to the breech cleaned up a bit?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kentucky bore day tomorrow   

Back to top Go down

Kentucky bore day tomorrow
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Traditional Muzzleloading-
Jump to: