Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

Muzzleloading Forum

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

No Lifetime Warranty for my CVA I guess.......

Go down 
AuthorMessage
WillametteSon

Male Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2016-02-01

No Lifetime Warranty for my CVA I guess....... Empty
PostSubject: No Lifetime Warranty for my CVA I guess.......   No Lifetime Warranty for my CVA I guess....... EmptyFebruary 14th 2016, 6:46 pm

The manual (which I didn't break-out until today to reference some unrelated info) tells me I needed to mail a warranty card in within 15 days of purchase, which of course I didn't as I hadn't seen the warranty card informing me of this until today.  I don't recall seeing this little tidbit of information advertised anywhere before purchasing this rifle.  

Gun has been removed from box a few times, and put right back into the box.  I haven't read the manual yet, because I am still a couple weeks away from being able to shoot it.  Scope is still caught-up in shipping delays for some unknown reason.

I feel like I was cheated out of a lifetime warranty by a hidden 15 day technicality.  So if you buy someone a CVA rifle for a gift, you need to purchase it at the last minute, and remember to tell the recipient that there is a warranty card they need to mail-in within 15 days of when the rifle was purchased to get the lifetime warranty.
Back to top Go down
GregK

GregK

Male Number of posts : 3049
Registration date : 2012-01-22

PostSubject: Re: No Lifetime Warranty for my CVA I guess.......   No Lifetime Warranty for my CVA I guess....... EmptyFebruary 14th 2016, 7:58 pm

A lot of things that you buy now have warranty registration cards. Actually that's been going on for years. Don't worry about it. It's doubtful that you'll have an issue, but CVA will stand behind their product.

Greg

No Lifetime Warranty for my CVA I guess....... Apex-s10McRem 40cal SML

LEUPOLD 4-12X40 VX-R 30mm, CDS, FIRE DOT
CEB 40/240, 76gr IMR 4895
2600 ft/s

CVA APEX .358 SML & .45 ML
LUEPOLD 4-12X50 VX-R CDS, FIRE DOT, WIND PLEX

Knight Mountainer LTD
45cal / 1-20 twist
LEUPOLD 4-12X50 VX-R 30mm WIND PLEX CDS FIREDOT
Back to top Go down
Smokin' Joe
Forum
Forum
Smokin' Joe

Male Number of posts : 2066
Registration date : 2011-11-23

PostSubject: Re: No Lifetime Warranty for my CVA I guess.......   No Lifetime Warranty for my CVA I guess....... EmptyFebruary 14th 2016, 8:41 pm

Like Greg said, you don't have anything to worry about.  Just go on-line and enter your required information.   Don't bother to send in the card.  Here's the link:   http://www.cva.com/cva-warranty

CVA will stand behind your rifle if there's a defect, no question.

Semper Fi……..
Back to top Go down
WillametteSon

PostSubject: Re: No Lifetime Warranty for my CVA I guess.......   No Lifetime Warranty for my CVA I guess....... EmptyFebruary 14th 2016, 9:30 pm

@GregK wrote:
A lot of things that you buy now have warranty registration cards. Actually that's been going on for years. Don't worry about it. It's doubtful that you'll have an issue, but CVA will stand behind their product.

Greg

I suppose I don't buy enough new stuff.....never would have guessed this is how it works.  15 days?

I am guarded when it comes to "lifetime warranties" after this scope incident I have been experiencing lately.
Back to top Go down
WillametteSon

PostSubject: Re: No Lifetime Warranty for my CVA I guess.......   No Lifetime Warranty for my CVA I guess....... EmptyFebruary 14th 2016, 9:34 pm

@Smokin' Joe wrote:
Like Greg said, you don't have anything to worry about.  Just go on-line and enter your required information.   Don't bother to send in the card.  Here's the link:   http://www.cva.com/cva-warranty

CVA will stand behind your rifle if there's a defect, no question.

The date of purchase is a required field on that link for the form to be submitted, so I am just going to send in the card leaving that part blank, and hope there is no future issue that requires me to raise a stink.  

I don't like the sound of that 15 day-thing at all.
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

Male Number of posts : 16272
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: No Lifetime Warranty for my CVA I guess.......   No Lifetime Warranty for my CVA I guess....... EmptyFebruary 14th 2016, 9:43 pm

Yeah, they dont care about that. Im not sure why they even bother printing that card. Ive exchanged many rifles over the years with them and they either fix them or send a new rifle no questions asked.
Back to top Go down
WillametteSon

PostSubject: Re: No Lifetime Warranty for my CVA I guess.......   No Lifetime Warranty for my CVA I guess....... EmptyFebruary 14th 2016, 9:47 pm

Since I got the gun from Carlos, and he can verify that I am the original owner I suppose there should be no issue.  Still a curious policy that 15-day thing.  Screams "loophole".
Back to top Go down
patocazador

patocazador

Number of posts : 5852
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: No Lifetime Warranty for my CVA I guess.......   No Lifetime Warranty for my CVA I guess....... EmptyFebruary 15th 2016, 8:20 am

I have never sent one in to any company. I have had few problems with new guns that I couldn't handle myself and on those, I contacted the CR dept. and they handled it with no questions.

However, with more "gun" companies being bought by entities that have nothing to do with guns, that may have changed in some instances. If I were stupid enough to buy a new Remington product now, I would dot every "i" and cross every "t" so they couldn't pass the buck. There are other companies that are just as bad. CVA isn't there .. yet.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
GregK

GregK

Male Number of posts : 3049
Registration date : 2012-01-22

PostSubject: Re: No Lifetime Warranty for my CVA I guess.......   No Lifetime Warranty for my CVA I guess....... EmptyFebruary 15th 2016, 3:20 pm

@WillametteSon wrote:
@GregK wrote:

Greg

I suppose I don't buy enough new stuff.....never would have guessed this is how it works.  15 days?

I am guarded when it comes to "lifetime warranties" after this scope incident I have been experiencing lately.
What is this additional "scope issue"?

No Lifetime Warranty for my CVA I guess....... Apex-s10McRem 40cal SML

LEUPOLD 4-12X40 VX-R 30mm, CDS, FIRE DOT
CEB 40/240, 76gr IMR 4895
2600 ft/s

CVA APEX .358 SML & .45 ML
LUEPOLD 4-12X50 VX-R CDS, FIRE DOT, WIND PLEX

Knight Mountainer LTD
45cal / 1-20 twist
LEUPOLD 4-12X50 VX-R 30mm WIND PLEX CDS FIREDOT
Back to top Go down
WillametteSon

PostSubject: Re: No Lifetime Warranty for my CVA I guess.......   No Lifetime Warranty for my CVA I guess....... EmptyFebruary 15th 2016, 5:38 pm

Quote :

What is this additional "scope issue"?

When I received the scope (with a "lifetime warranty"), right out of the box the magnification ring would not turn without putting a deathgrip on the scope with both hands.  Would not loosen-up.  There is no way someone could adjust the magnification while looking thru the scope during a hunt unless they brought some sort of vice with them to secure the gun with, and had very strong hands/fingers.  My Zeiss Conquest mag dial was a bit stiff, but it was FUNCTIONAL. 

Sent scope in to manufacturer.  Their reply was the following 

Good morning Chris, 
Your scope arrived at our office and I have had a chance to examine it. The power adjustments and the turret adjustments all are within acceptable specifications. If you stored this scope in a cold room before using it, this would have caused the power adjustment to tighten up. The lubricant used in these scopes should be above 55 degrees for the adjustments to move smoothly. If you have questions or concerns, feel free to contact us anytime. 

The scope will be returned to you via expedited service free of charge.

This literally made me laugh out loud.  This scope is specifically advertised as being a hunting scope........they never said it was for hunting *only in weather above 55 degrees.  It was about 55 degrees outside when the mailman handed me the package.

So I called the manufacturer to confirm this foolishness they e-mailed me, then told them to send the scope back to the retailer I bought it from.  Upon receiving the scope, from the manufacturer, the retailer agreed that the scope was unreasonably stiff, and convinced the manufacturer to send me an upgrade replacement, as the model I bought is discontinued with no other replacement options available.  

It's been two weeks since the replacement scope was said to have been sent back to the manufacturer by the retailer (which took only two days to go from the manufacturer, to the retailer when the manufacturer sent the scope back to the retailer), and there has been no sign of the scope being sent to me by the manufacturer yet.  I have a strong suspicion that it has yet to be sent out.  

This all started the very minute I received the scope on Jan 13th.  If the scope doesn't show up today, I will contact the retailer once again to ask them to speak with the manufacturer again, as they have had much better luck dealing with them than I have.

Needless to say, Bobcat season got scrapped this year.
Back to top Go down
ourway77

Male Number of posts : 127
Registration date : 2011-02-11

PostSubject: Re: No Lifetime Warranty for my CVA I guess.......   No Lifetime Warranty for my CVA I guess....... EmptyFebruary 16th 2016, 6:12 am

Just send it in any way and put a copy of your receipt attached to it. CVA is a good company to deal with. When it comes to scopes I buy Leupold they guarantee their  product whether you are the original owner or not. So if you buy a used leupold you have no worry cause if the person you bought it from doesn't make good Leupold will. I believe Burris has the same policy. Lou
Back to top Go down
OldMtnMan

OldMtnMan

Male Number of posts : 10320
Registration date : 2010-09-23

PostSubject: Re: No Lifetime Warranty for my CVA I guess.......   No Lifetime Warranty for my CVA I guess....... EmptyFebruary 16th 2016, 6:59 am

I've never registered a CVA gun. (7 of them) They have always fixed any problems. Even replacing the whole gun when the finish chipped off with a nitride version.

As for scopes? Buy a Leupold, or buy from Cabelas. Everything can be returned to Cabelas no questions asked.

I'm addicted to black powder.
Back to top Go down
WillametteSon

PostSubject: Re: No Lifetime Warranty for my CVA I guess.......   No Lifetime Warranty for my CVA I guess....... EmptyFebruary 16th 2016, 1:48 pm

Muley wrote:
I've never registered a CVA gun. (7 of them) They have always fixed any problems. Even replacing the whole gun when the finish chipped off with a nitride version.

As for scopes? Buy a Leupold, or buy from Cabelas. Everything can be returned to Cabelas no questions asked.

I hear the same about Cabela's, which is why I bought my Zeiss from them.  Leupolds short/variable eye relief is the deal-killer for me.  MAYBE if they had a VX-3-level, fixed 4-power with 4 inches of eye relief........but they don't.  Fixed 4-power would compromise my hunt......I require close to 1X on the low-end for my environment, anyways.

The retailer has been great dealing with this issue.......it's the manufacturer that is apparently dragging it's feet at this point.
Back to top Go down
OldMtnMan

OldMtnMan

Male Number of posts : 10320
Registration date : 2010-09-23

PostSubject: Re: No Lifetime Warranty for my CVA I guess.......   No Lifetime Warranty for my CVA I guess....... EmptyFebruary 16th 2016, 2:21 pm

I'm an open sight guy, but the few Leupolds I did buy had 4" of eye relief.

Cabelas doesn't always have the lowest prices unless the item is on sale. However, every order comes with a return label. No questions asked. Even if you used the item. Just send it back for a new one, or refund. Your choice. You wouldn't believe some of the stuff i've sent back. They have a policy to put all items sent back in the bargain bin. It doesn't matter if you used the hell out of it, or never even open the box. It goes in the bin. Once they sell something it can't be sold for new again, so in the bin it goes. I bought a Pedersoli from them once, and shot it for 6 months. It was marked up from a lousy finish on the barrel. It was obvious it was shot a lot. They said nothing and gave me a refund.

I'm addicted to black powder.
Back to top Go down
yellowlab

Male Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2016-12-21

PostSubject: Re: No Lifetime Warranty for my CVA I guess.......   No Lifetime Warranty for my CVA I guess....... EmptyJanuary 2nd 2019, 7:05 pm

I have a cva buckhorn I purchased new in dec. 08. Registered the warranty online. Over the last year or so accuracy has fallen off to the point of no longer accurate enough to hunt with. I tried scrubbing, soaking. chor boy, carb cleaner etc. it should be clean. I called cva ,the rep said I may have worn out the barrel and if I wanted to purchase a new cva rifle I could get a 35% discount. I may have worn this barrel out , ten years @ aprox. 300 shots per year = 3000 shots,95% with conical bullets with 90 to 100 grns of powder. I never,never postpone cleaning until the next day and have other muzzleloaders with many/2 or3 times as many rounds fired.I may replace this gun but I wont be using my 35% discount to buy another cva.Sorry if this offends cva owners.I do have other cva's that do shoot well.but was disappointed at the lifetime warranty.
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

PostSubject: Re: No Lifetime Warranty for my CVA I guess.......   No Lifetime Warranty for my CVA I guess....... EmptyJanuary 2nd 2019, 7:13 pm

Have you tried replacing the breech plug? The breech plug is crucial in accuracy.
Back to top Go down
yellowlab

PostSubject: Re: No Lifetime Warranty for my CVA I guess.......   No Lifetime Warranty for my CVA I guess....... EmptyJanuary 2nd 2019, 8:35 pm

It has a breach plug to use a #11 cap. I have looked at it but I,m not sure if I would know a bad one if I saw one unless something was stripped or excessively warn. I still have the original for 209 caps "never used it" Oregon regs. I may get some 209's and try them to see if it changes anything. I have a T/C with a "removed QLA" was wondering if the false muzzle on cva's can cause the same problems?
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

PostSubject: Re: No Lifetime Warranty for my CVA I guess.......   No Lifetime Warranty for my CVA I guess....... EmptyJanuary 2nd 2019, 9:04 pm

Have you even changed the nipple out before? If not, its no wonder. These things wear out and when the flash hole opens up, your accuracy goes south.

Get a box of hornady great plains bullets. Drive down down the bore and push it out, then measure the land/grooves depth on the bullet. Normally you'll have around .004" rifling depth on todays muzzleloader.

if the gun shot great before, I highly doubt its the QLA.
Back to top Go down
yellowlab

PostSubject: Re: No Lifetime Warranty for my CVA I guess.......   No Lifetime Warranty for my CVA I guess....... EmptyJanuary 2nd 2019, 9:16 pm

I think I/we kinda hijacked this thread. I have changed out my nipple but its been a while, should change it again. If my breach plug was bad would I be able to see it? I don't have any great plains bullets can I do the same with reals or lyman maxi home cast bullets?
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

PostSubject: Re: No Lifetime Warranty for my CVA I guess.......   No Lifetime Warranty for my CVA I guess....... EmptyJanuary 2nd 2019, 10:11 pm

Your plug is fine, I figured it was the 209 version. Make a new post about this, we'd love to help you out. Do you have a way of taking pictures to show us?

The great plains bullets would be the best as they have a .510" loading band which will deeply engrave. TC maxi balls are .504 which is a bit on the small side. The GP bullets are only around $10 a box of 20.
Back to top Go down
mobowhntr

Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2011-09-02

PostSubject: Re: No Lifetime Warranty for my CVA I guess.......   No Lifetime Warranty for my CVA I guess....... EmptyJanuary 23rd 2019, 9:30 am

Oldmtnman, how the heck did the nitride chip off? It's not a coating but a chemical change to the steel itself.
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

PostSubject: Re: No Lifetime Warranty for my CVA I guess.......   No Lifetime Warranty for my CVA I guess....... EmptyJanuary 23rd 2019, 10:05 am

It was the original spray finish they used on the first mountain rifles. The tan and black finishes had issues coming off.
Back to top Go down
mobowhntr

PostSubject: Re: No Lifetime Warranty for my CVA I guess.......   No Lifetime Warranty for my CVA I guess....... EmptyJanuary 23rd 2019, 10:10 am

Oh ok that makes much more sense. Thanks for the clarification.
Back to top Go down
mobowhntr

PostSubject: Re: No Lifetime Warranty for my CVA I guess.......   No Lifetime Warranty for my CVA I guess....... EmptyJanuary 23rd 2019, 10:12 am

I just bought two optimas and a accura mr that'll be here today and got rid of the other optimas I had just for the nitride barrels. Kinda scared me a minute.
Back to top Go down
Dry Powder

Male Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2019-01-27

PostSubject: Re: No Lifetime Warranty for my CVA I guess.......   No Lifetime Warranty for my CVA I guess....... EmptyJanuary 27th 2019, 6:24 am

I just purchased a CVA wolf. While reading the manual I saw that about filling out the warranty card.  
   Seeing the time frame I went on line and took care of business.   

As I`m just beginning my journey into the Muzzle loading world I found I`ve got a lot to learn.  Been 
  doing just that .  Certainly a lot of great information available.
Back to top Go down

No Lifetime Warranty for my CVA I guess.......
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Modern Muzzleloading-
Jump to: