AuthorMessage
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 14522
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Bent's Fort, Living history event   February 19th 2016, 5:21 pm

Bent’s Fort Offering Chance to Step Back in Time

La Junta, CO – Have you ever wanted to go back in time? The National Park Service is offering an opportunity for folks to “step back in time” and experience life as it might have been 170 years ago at a trading post on the Santa Fe Trail. Bent’s Old Fort National Historic Site staff and volunteers will lead an immersive living history experience at the site next month.
On Saturday, March 19 the fort will host “Frontier Skills Day.” This one-day experience will allow adults to experience fur trade life of the 1840s. Participants will perform “hands on” activities in roles as traders, laborers, domestics, carpenters, blacksmiths, and hunters. Space is limited for each role and applications are accepted on a first come, first served basis.
Activities might include learning Indian Sign Language, adobe work, livestock use and care, frontier cooking, using 19th century hand tools, trapping, animal packing, or constructing period furnishings depending on which role you occupy.
Pre-registration is required for this event, which will run from 9 am to 4 pm on that Saturday. Participants must be 18 years of age or older. Cost to attend is $20 which includes supplies and materials for living history activities and a period lunch. Registration forms and more information are available at the park’s website www.nps.gov/beol, click on “Calendar of Events” or you can stop by or call the park at (719) 383-5026 for an application.
This event will focus on the history of the fort as it relates to cross-cultural relationships found in the region during the 1830s and 1840s while participants get to experience life as it was in the past. All are invited to join us on Saturday, March 19 to experience an earlier time at Bent’s Old Fort.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
patocazador
Site
Site

Number of posts : 5250
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Bent's Fort, Living history event   February 20th 2016, 7:08 am

Sounds good but I wonder how much "immersion" can be accomplished in one day.

Actually, it's a good way to get free labor to repair, update, etc. any of the furnishings or patch the adobe where it needs attention.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear Claw
Site
Site

Male Number of posts : 9489
Registration date : 2010-09-23

PostSubject: Re: Bent's Fort, Living history event   February 20th 2016, 8:48 am

Always negative Bob.

Look at the application. They teach a lot of skills.

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
patocazador
Site
Site

Number of posts : 5250
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Bent's Fort, Living history event   February 20th 2016, 9:33 am

They have similar programs here Muley but they don't try to disguise the work aspect. It's more of a volunteer effort to help out the facility. They also teach pioneer skills.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear Claw
Site
Site

Male Number of posts : 9489
Registration date : 2010-09-23

PostSubject: Re: Bent's Fort, Living history event   February 20th 2016, 10:12 am

Maybe that's how they do it in Florida, but it's not worth arguing over.

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 1379
Registration date : 2015-10-20

PostSubject: Re: Bent's Fort, Living history event   July 17th 2016, 10:40 am

Nice to see they are trying to get back to the way it was in 1970's. Several of us were invited in 1972 to setup a primitive camp at the future site of this historic fort. Now all that was there was just the original foundation, capped with concrete to save it back in the 40's. A dozen camps were setup and guests from the US Forest Service, the Gov. of Colorado, Davey Crockett's great grand daughter and the news media attended.

At the ribbon cutting Crockett's kin cut the ribbon with Gov. Dick Lamb helping. The little lady was in her upper 80's and when questioned about any family stories about her relation she had to be coached with her replies. The event last several hours for the different speakers to do their thing.

The best part the Gov. turned out to be a buckskinner having a full set of brain tanned leathers, Homer Dangler flinter, custom pouch with a beautiful horn. Had been involved in muzzle loading for years before becoming the state leader for several terms. Gov. Lamb asked if we had room in our 18' tipi, damn YES. He sent his body guard back to town, we supplied blankets, tin cup and whatever he needed to stay with us. Very little sleeping was done with a full group sitting around in either the tipi or just outside listening or asking questions about Colorado government. The Gov. didn't hold back answering anything from how to get more muzzle-loading permits, raise the number of animal for those permits to death row at Canyon City (state pen).

Best and most interesting camp we had attended in years.

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://grrwca..com/
Marty
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 3300
Registration date : 2009-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Bent's Fort, Living history event   July 17th 2016, 3:26 pm

Those events certainly sounds interesting FG!  We have replicas of villages here in MA that have been re-created to show you what life was like in colonial New England...Old Sturbridge Village is a prime example.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: Bent's Fort, Living history event   July 17th 2016, 4:43 pm

Marty wrote:
Those events certainly sounds interesting FG!  We have replicas of villages here in MA that have been re-created to show you what life was like in colonial New England...Old Sturbridge Village is a prime example.

Was there 30 years ago, well done.

Back to top Go down
lighthorseman

Male Number of posts : 707
Registration date : 2016-05-18

PostSubject: Re: Bent's Fort, Living history event   July 17th 2016, 5:14 pm

Bent's was the best in "public" historical events that I have ever participated in. MY tenure was back in the 80's actually after I left the rendezvous scene and got into Mexican War era military. The effort towards period correctness was great and was particularly appreciative of Bill Gwaltney's efforts as a Park Ranger to bring 1846 to life. This is a photo from a series that Jerry Crandall, a western artist back in the day took. This was a summer event but my best experience was a four day March "Winter's Quarters" event.

One page of history is worth more than a book of logic
Back to top Go down
View user profile
conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: Bent's Fort, Living history event   July 18th 2016, 12:34 pm

lighthorseman wrote:
Bent's was the best in "public" historical events that I have ever participated in. MY tenure was back in the 80's actually after I left the rendezvous scene and got into Mexican War era military. The effort towards period correctness was great and was particularly appreciative of Bill Gwaltney's efforts as a Park Ranger to bring 1846 to life. This is a photo from a series that Jerry Crandall, a western artist back in the day took. This was a summer event but my best experience was a four day March "Winter's Quarters" event.

You mentioned Bill Gwaltney, personal friend for 30 years, we would hook-up at many different events, good knowledgeable man.

Jerry Crandall was a "Cowboy Artist Assn. artist" he worked with the TV Series "Centennial" as the "Historical Correctness" guy. We worked with him and his wife Judy on the series in Estes Park and on my place for several takes (stealing the horses with Michael Ansara "Lame Beaver", several shooting takes with Robert Conrad "Pasquinel" and Richard Chamberlain "Alexander McKeag", and the death of "Pasquinel" dying on our creek. We brought the whole cast to shoot muzzle-loaders on bad weather days in our canyon (several had never shot a front stuffer).

At "Centennial" we formed an association that dealt with the talent agencies that hired the background actors, Judy Crandall managed our affairs, wage rates using the new group's name - "Professional Background Actor's Quild". That's another story... 

After "Centennial" the following year Jerry contacted us to gather another group of (100) mountainmen for "The Mountain Men" movie to be made in Jackson Hole WY. To be a week long engagement that last 28 days, many of us that stayed ate up all our vacation time on that one.

Jerry got away from the mountaineer thing and got involved with the "Antique Airplane Society" and the "Confederate Air Force" groups, painting those old fighting aircraft from WWI and WWII once moving from Riverside CA to Sedona NM.

Both good guys to hang with.

Back to top Go down
lighthorseman

Male Number of posts : 707
Registration date : 2016-05-18

PostSubject: Re: Bent's Fort, Living history event   July 18th 2016, 1:17 pm

Wow...I wonder if you and I ever actually crossed paths? I was really excited when Jerry offered to take photos in the corral at Bent's....and he took a bunch.....excited because I hoped he would use the photos for a painting and subsequent print. I visited him and Judy at their house in Arizona....Sedona??...or Camp Verde???? He gave me a signed and numbered print of two trappers setting traps in a pool with a Grizz on the shoreline. I lost touch with him, and years later saw that he was doing the WWII aircraft.....which was also very cool. I had tried to contact him once to find out if he's ever done anything with the dragoon photos...i.e. painting but was able to contact him. I wasn't aware he was CAA, I had a friend in Pagosa that was CAA, Wayne Justice.

I was invited to "Centennial" filming, I think through one of my Steamboat buddies....via George Campbell, but was working for the Post Office and couldn't take the time off....same with "the Mountain Men". My connections to film making was through the "7th Illinois" who were always doing mounted work and though I wasn't a member, I knew guys who were and because they knew I did mounted impressions would let me know when there was new gig......but I could never get off from work or have enough advance notice to plan for it. The only film work I did was due to the "chief of rangers" at Bent's inviting me to the fort for filming of"Dream West", with Chamberlain and Rip Torn. I got some good exposure and it was an interesting experience, but would only do it again for the right movie.

We started a young men's ministry through Royal Rangers called "The Rough Riders" which was a take on TR's bunch......in regards to uniforming and military drill and discipline, so I invited Bill and he was gracious enough to drive up from LaJunta to Colorado Springs and spend an evening teach our guys a little period military marching drill. Bill enlisted me at Bent's winter quarters as "Provost Marshall" to investigate the theft of whiskey from the company stores. I was honored to be include me in the scenario....yep Bill and Jerry....good guys!

One page of history is worth more than a book of logic
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bent's Fort, Living history event   

Back to top Go down

Bent's Fort, Living history event
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Traditional Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Media-
Jump to: