Muzzleloading Forum

HomeGalleryFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Ads

Share | 

Need Shotgun primer coversion for Knight wolverine, place/cheapest best buy?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
skoger

Number of posts : 45
Registration date : 2015-09-30

PostSubject: Need Shotgun primer coversion for Knight wolverine, place/cheapest best buy?   February 27th 2016, 8:50 pm

I have a buddy, older gent who only hunts with his Knight wolverine, .50 in ML and rifle season here in KY. He is wanting to change over to primer from #11 caps, and I told him I would see what I coiuld come up with. He is on a fixed income, so money matters, and is there someone that makes a  conversion with a breechplug that does not require the red primer carriers? All help appreciated!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
patocazador

Number of posts : 5836
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Need Shotgun primer coversion for Knight wolverine, place/cheapest best buy?   February 28th 2016, 12:43 pm

Look at this and see if it will work.

http://www.warrencustomoutdoor.com/mag-spark.html

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 15249
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: Need Shotgun primer coversion for Knight wolverine, place/cheapest best buy?   February 28th 2016, 1:20 pm

That wont work for a wolverine.

Check the knight website or call them and see what they have available. It may need a new bolt for the 209 primers but you never know.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
WV Hunter

Male Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2012-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Need Shotgun primer coversion for Knight wolverine, place/cheapest best buy?   March 11th 2016, 5:17 am

I have a bunch of plunger knights and have used both ignitions. IMO, the #11 is just as good if not better than the 209 in that style rifle. There is no real advantage to using the 209, it just comes down to personal preference really. In many other style rifles absolutely, the 209 has a big advantage.

Knight used to offer a bare primer plug for the plunger rifles...but no longer. To my knowledge the only one available now is the Red FPJ plug...which honestly in that style rifle is probably better and safer in that style rifle. Either way with any style ignition you will still have some blowback in the plunger guns. 

You have to check his plunger face...if it is flat (most likely) he will need the plunger and breechplug. If it has a small point on it, it can fire 209's. If he wants to spend the $ he can order the conversion kit from knight... but it ain't cheap. Or check ebay, or website classifieds, etc. I sold all my conversion kits... all mine have #11 now. 

My .02 save the $, he won't gain anything by converting. The #11 ignition in those rifles is flawless.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Need Shotgun primer coversion for Knight wolverine, place/cheapest best buy?   March 11th 2016, 8:01 am

@skoger wrote:
I have a buddy, older gent who only hunts with his Knight wolverine, .50 in ML and rifle season here in KY. He is wanting to change over to primer from #11 caps, and I told him I would see what I coiuld come up with. He is on a fixed income, so money matters, and is there someone that makes a  conversion with a breechplug that does not require the red primer carriers? All help appreciated!

Tell him to find the hottest #11 nipple he can find and switch to FFF powders for better ignition. Also switch to the hottest #11 caps he can get.

FFF Blackpowder
google search hot nipples like RedHot or Spitfire for example
hot caps like CCI Mag / RWS Dynamit Nobel 1075s.....etc.

If he isn;t aware, those plunger actions are not built to sustain Blackhorn 209 powder. Using that powder can create misfires, dangerous ignition and be harmful to the shooter. People have lost an eye as a result of using that combination.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Need Shotgun primer coversion for Knight wolverine, place/cheapest best buy?   

Back to top Go down

Need Shotgun primer coversion for Knight wolverine, place/cheapest best buy?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Modern Muzzleloading-
Jump to: