Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

Muzzleloading Forum

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

Traditions Hawken Woodsman + Precision Packer

Go down 
AuthorMessage
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

Male Number of posts : 16283
Registration date : 2008-05-19

Traditions Hawken Woodsman + Precision Packer Empty
PostSubject: Traditions Hawken Woodsman + Precision Packer   Traditions Hawken Woodsman + Precision Packer EmptyMarch 11th 2016, 4:01 pm

Well, its more than those 2 items, but One thing at a time for starters.

I took the Traditions Hawken Woodsman .50cal flintlock to 100 yards today and was very surprised by the amount of drop! It was dead on at 75 yards. HOWEVER, the new rest I was using ( I'll talk about that later on) wasn't as user friendly as I had hoped.
Traditions Hawken Woodsman + Precision Packer Img_6810

I used the Precision Packer that came in the day before I left to hunt hogs and so I took that along with me but never got the chance to use it as I thought it would be crazy to change my seating pressure before verifying it on target.
Traditions Hawken Woodsman + Precision Packer Img_6813

The Precision Packer is pretty simple to use but as far as aiding in accuracy, I am not 100% sure of that just yet. I have to play with it a lot more and shoot over a chrony to see if it aids in accuracy/consistent seating pressure.

This deep concave pocket serves as a palm saver for when you push the load down your bore.
Traditions Hawken Woodsman + Precision Packer Img_6814
I HIGHLY suggest you do NOT use this item with a Wood or Flexy Plastic style ram rod due to the amount of pressure required when using this tool.
Traditions Hawken Woodsman + Precision Packer Img_6811

Once the projectile is touching the powder lightly, you flip it over and use the other shallow end with the white piece of plastic. You slowly push down steadily until you feel that piece of plastic come to a full stop. This supposedly is consistently seating your projectile as long as YOU stop, when that piece stops. Could you over do it by not paying attention? Yes. It's not fool proof for 100% precise seating pressure. I would have preferred something designed like a torque wrench that pops and lets loose a little bit to let you know, the pre-set torque has been reached.
Traditions Hawken Woodsman + Precision Packer Img_6812

When I rest up, I'll do some more shooting with Blackhorn209 and then American Pioneer as it LOVES heavy seating pressure, and see how the consistency is with both powders when using this tool.
Traditions Hawken Woodsman + Precision Packer Img_6910

Last edited by FrontierGander on November 2nd 2017, 12:15 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
patocazador

patocazador

Number of posts : 5852
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Traditions Hawken Woodsman + Precision Packer   Traditions Hawken Woodsman + Precision Packer EmptyMarch 11th 2016, 4:56 pm

OK, OK.
Now tell us what we really want to know, a detailed account of your hog hunt at Falcon's ... with plenty of photos.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

PostSubject: Re: Traditions Hawken Woodsman + Precision Packer   Traditions Hawken Woodsman + Precision Packer EmptyMarch 11th 2016, 5:55 pm

@patocazador wrote:
OK, OK.
Now tell us what we really want to know, a detailed account of your hog hunt at Falcon's ... with plenty of photos.

I'll work on that possibly tomorrow once I resize pictures.
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

PostSubject: Re: Traditions Hawken Woodsman + Precision Packer   Traditions Hawken Woodsman + Precision Packer EmptyMarch 12th 2016, 3:43 pm

Okay, the verdict, the MPP is NOT the blame for my low group shots, That's where shes hitting at 100 yards.

I had problems with my chronograph towards the end but here are the numbers when I used the MPP.
1425 ( Clean / oiled bore/wiped dry with single patch)
1462 Blue Swab
1489 Blue Swab

The other readings I got by compressing by hand were all errors. I think I may have had sun rays hitting the readers and throwing it off. Tomorrow evening I'll redo the test.

I shot about 12 shots trying to figure out and holy smokes, I was actually grouping tight at 100 yards!
Back to top Go down
patocazador

patocazador

PostSubject: Re: Traditions Hawken Woodsman + Precision Packer   Traditions Hawken Woodsman + Precision Packer EmptyMarch 12th 2016, 4:12 pm

What does "Blue Swab" mean and how is it different from white or green (ad inf.) swab?

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
MuzzleloadersPPacker

Male Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2016-03-01

PostSubject: Re: Traditions Hawken Woodsman + Precision Packer   Traditions Hawken Woodsman + Precision Packer EmptyMarch 12th 2016, 4:15 pm

Jonathan,

Glad to see your Muzzleloader's Precision Packer™ arrived! 

Couple of FYI's to contribute...

You are compressing to 75lbs with the loose powder version as sent. We've had no issue with that level of compression on metal or synthetic(plastic) ramrods during prototype testing. You bring up an interesting point about wood ramrods. We expect you'll keep us informed as you review further and we're going to do more testing with the high compression version and wood ramrods so we can assure buyers of compatibility but I don't anticipate any issues. We've found many shooters lean into their wood rods with a guesstimate that exceeds the MMP's poundage. With that in mind, if you were previously compressing with more or less than that, your new consistent habits with the MPP would certainly cause a POI shift but obviously if you always use it that's your new POI from here on out. In development we experimented with the "torque let off" concept but settled on the K.I.S.S approach for lighter weight, fewer moving parts, quietness in the field and maybe most importantly unit production cost savings! We figured most Muzzleloader shooters who have an interest in loading for consistency and accuracy are likely the "A" typers who won't take more than about one try to learn the feel of the "stop" One more added note, the "plastic" you're compressing on is actually 6/6 Nylon and about 1/2inch thick so no worries about pressure being applied there. We tested units to MUCH higher pressures for 100's of cycles with no problems. Thanks again for the added exposure, keep in touch.
Back to top Go down
https://squareup.com/store/muzzleloadersprecisionpacker
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

PostSubject: Re: Traditions Hawken Woodsman + Precision Packer   Traditions Hawken Woodsman + Precision Packer EmptyMarch 12th 2016, 4:28 pm

@patocazador wrote:
What does "Blue Swab" mean and how is it different from white or green (ad inf.) swab?

Meaning, the new white patch came back out of the bore a bluish color. A little fouling left behind.
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

PostSubject: Re: Traditions Hawken Woodsman + Precision Packer   Traditions Hawken Woodsman + Precision Packer EmptyMarch 15th 2016, 5:07 pm

I loaded up the 58cal Hawken today and used the MPP with my wood ram rod. I didn't have any issues and it felt solid, but if you do use the wood ramrod with your rifles guys, Use caution! If you slip somehow and you jerk the ramrod to the side, it could break. It actually felt pretty darn good, I instantly knew when it had bottomed out. The plastic flexy ramrod I was using on my flintlock, did not give me that solid feel.
Back to top Go down
Old Smoke

Old Smoke

Male Number of posts : 310
Registration date : 2016-01-28

PostSubject: Re: Traditions Hawken Woodsman + Precision Packer   Traditions Hawken Woodsman + Precision Packer EmptyJanuary 15th 2017, 4:16 pm

Jonathon,

Did you get back out and check results of the MPP on BH209 accuracy?
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

PostSubject: Re: Traditions Hawken Woodsman + Precision Packer   Traditions Hawken Woodsman + Precision Packer EmptyJanuary 15th 2017, 6:24 pm

Haven't checked it out with BH209 yet. I am currently out of bh209 but plan on trying it.
Back to top Go down
Old Smoke

Old Smoke

PostSubject: Re: Traditions Hawken Woodsman + Precision Packer   Traditions Hawken Woodsman + Precision Packer EmptyJanuary 15th 2017, 6:54 pm

Jonathan!  Dude!!!  You, the fount of all knowlege on all things smokey, have not any BH209 for testing, pontification, and even enlightenment??!!   affraid  What backwater do you live in that you can't just hop on down to the corner Quick-Stop and pick up a jug of BH209?

My world has stopped.
Back to top Go down
MuzzleloadersPPacker

Male Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2016-03-01

PostSubject: Re: Traditions Hawken Woodsman + Precision Packer   Traditions Hawken Woodsman + Precision Packer EmptyJanuary 16th 2017, 5:39 am

Old smoke, 
As an FYI BH209 is our preferred powder and although we developed and tested the MPP with a multitude of powders, we have more rounds downrange with the 
Muzzleloader's Precision Packer™ / BH209 combo than any other. Shooting mostly inlines, better than MOA accuracy has been the norm.
Back to top Go down
https://squareup.com/store/muzzleloadersprecisionpacker
lighthorseman

lighthorseman

Male Number of posts : 702
Registration date : 2016-05-18

PostSubject: Re: Traditions Hawken Woodsman + Precision Packer   Traditions Hawken Woodsman + Precision Packer EmptyJanuary 16th 2017, 8:37 am

I'm so confused........but then I'm old! Dunno

One page of history is worth more than a book of logic
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

PostSubject: Re: Traditions Hawken Woodsman + Precision Packer   Traditions Hawken Woodsman + Precision Packer EmptyJanuary 16th 2017, 8:49 am

@Old Smoke wrote:
Jonathan!  Dude!!!  You, the fount of all knowlege on all things smokey, have not any BH209 for testing, pontification, and even enlightenment??!!   affraid  What backwater do you live in that you can't just hop on down to the corner Quick-Stop and pick up a jug of BH209?

My world has stopped.

To give you an idea, this picture was taken in my back yard and the nearest " big store" walmart, is 30 minutes away lol!
Traditions Hawken Woodsman + Precision Packer Img_8224
Back to top Go down
Old Smoke

Old Smoke

PostSubject: Re: Traditions Hawken Woodsman + Precision Packer   Traditions Hawken Woodsman + Precision Packer EmptyJanuary 16th 2017, 9:05 am

You are a lucky man
Back to top Go down
Marty
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Marty

Male Number of posts : 3725
Registration date : 2009-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Traditions Hawken Woodsman + Precision Packer   Traditions Hawken Woodsman + Precision Packer EmptyJanuary 18th 2017, 1:13 pm

@FrontierGander wrote:
@Old Smoke wrote:

My world has stopped.

To give you an idea, this picture was taken in my back yard and the nearest " big store" walmart, is 30 minutes away lol!
Traditions Hawken Woodsman + Precision Packer Img_8224
The way is was. Wink  A picture is worth 1,000 words...that was simply great FG Exclamation Laughing
Back to top Go down
patocazador

patocazador

PostSubject: Re: Traditions Hawken Woodsman + Precision Packer   Traditions Hawken Woodsman + Precision Packer EmptyJanuary 18th 2017, 2:02 pm

I live 4 1/2 miles from a WalMart but no one around here carries black powder or BH209.
I order mine from Graf's. I used to order it from Carlos but Ed's Gun Shop got politically correct and doesn't sell either black powder or percussion caps any more according to a post from Carlos.

I prefer to get all my supplies from one vendor.

Back to top Go down

Traditions Hawken Woodsman + Precision Packer
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: The Shooting Range-
Jump to: