Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

MUZZLELOADING FORUM

HomeGalleryFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Ads

Share | 

Muzzleloading Precision Packer + Jim Shockeys Gold

Go down 
AuthorMessage
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 15450
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Muzzleloading Precision Packer + Jim Shockeys Gold   March 21st 2016, 10:03 pm

Okay guys, I got out today with my .58cal CVA Hawken and tried out the MPP over the chrony and used the "worst" powder possible right?

70 grains Volume Jim Shockey's Gold Super Powder
.020" patching cut at the muzzle
.570" round balls weighed 277 - 278.8 grains
CCI #11 percussion cap
Knight red hot #11 nipple

Chrony was set at 18 feet distance.

Cold clean bore shots:

Swabbed between shots, one patch, both sides with birchwood casey No77 muzzle magic

I'd say the seating pressure with the MPP is very consistent.

I also used the wood ramrod today and it felt fine. Just because not to jerk sideways and I feel everything will be safe to use.

Believe it or not, the jim shockeys gold shot more consistent velocity wise, than the AR15 and AK47 ammo my brother and nephew were shooting over the Chrony.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
SCHUNTER

Male Number of posts : 335
Registration date : 2012-05-23

PostSubject: Re: Muzzleloading Precision Packer + Jim Shockeys Gold   March 22nd 2016, 5:40 am

Very interesting for a powder most of us think is crap. Would you repeat the test using your normal loading method and see if the results are similar?

.45 Knight Ultra Lite/Brux 1:20 Twist
.45 McRem SML Black Ice
.45 Hankins SML
.40 RemPac SML
Back to top Go down
View user profile
falcon

Male Number of posts : 1435
Registration date : 2012-05-28

PostSubject: Re: Muzzleloading Precision Packer + Jim Shockeys Gold   March 22nd 2016, 6:59 am

Looks like the packer did a good job.  Consistent loading density is the key to using JSG, Super JSG and Black MZ powders.

Few years ago a ballistician i worked overseas with tested Black MZ powder.   He fired 20 rounds with an sd of 17 fps.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 15450
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: Muzzleloading Precision Packer + Jim Shockeys Gold   March 22nd 2016, 11:03 am

@SCHUNTER wrote:
Very interesting for a powder most of us think is crap. Would you repeat the test using your normal loading method and see if the results are similar?

Will do! I was running short on time yesterday and arm strength as my new patching loads super tight to the point you want to cry. Its accurate though!
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com

PostSubject: Re: Muzzleloading Precision Packer + Jim Shockeys Gold   March 22nd 2016, 12:16 pm

I'm OK with Shockleys/APP in FFF. Just keep it dry and don't let it get old (more than a couple years). It appears to attract moisture and even in a dry climate of the USA, over a period of a couple years will draw moisture.

But if it's young and dry APP/Shockey's it's pretty consistent in FFF, as long as you just take what you need to the range (not the entire jug) and don't mix leftover APP/Shockey's with what's remaining, when you arrive back home. Keep the leftover range powder separate from the remaining jug.

IMHO.... as a former user for a couple years.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Muzzleloading Precision Packer + Jim Shockeys Gold   

Back to top Go down

Muzzleloading Precision Packer + Jim Shockeys Gold
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Powder Room-
Jump to: