Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

Muzzleloading Forum

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

New Pedersoli is dialing in...

Go down 
AuthorMessage
MattRaymond

Number of posts : 123
Registration date : 2015-10-28

New Pedersoli is dialing in... Empty
PostSubject: New Pedersoli is dialing in...   New Pedersoli is dialing in... Empty2016-03-25, 09:14

So I finally got around to my range to work on some loads for my .45 caliber Pennsylvania Long Rifle flintlock. It has a 1:48 twist, 41" barrel. I worked on a 50 yard target and initially it was grouping high and to the left, aiming at the bullseye of a 6" target. I made a slight windage adjustment to the rear sight and then utilized a 6 o'clock hold. The pictured 4 shot group was made with 60 grains of 3f Goex, a .440 swaged Speer round ball, .010 and .015 patches, and finally Jonathan's "Frontier Paste Lube". I think this is the winning combination for this gun. Low recoil, good accuracy. I will fiddle with the loads a bit more to see if I can keep accuracy out to 100 yrds. With the combo I have, I'm pretty confident about taking it into the Whitetail woods with me this fall. 

I was also using 3f Goex as a pan charge as well. 

I also worked on finding a decent flint that the gun likes as well. In this shooting session, I took approximately 30 shots, and only had 1 failure to fire due to the flint knapping it'self to where I had to adjust it forward a bit. But this was after 30 consecutive shots without issue. I'm pretty pleased with the lock timing as well...fast enough for me anyway.
New Pedersoli is dialing in... File

Last edited by MattRaymond on 2016-03-25, 09:23; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
MattRaymond

PostSubject: Re: New Pedersoli is dialing in...   New Pedersoli is dialing in... Empty2016-03-25, 09:22

Trying to post the pic
New Pedersoli is dialing in... Imagepng
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

Male Number of posts : 16344
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: New Pedersoli is dialing in...   New Pedersoli is dialing in... Empty2016-03-26, 13:10

Loaded it for ya.

Looks as perfect as you could get! All in the center of that bulls eye and tight :rtup

Any swabbing between shots?
Back to top Go down
patocazador

patocazador

Number of posts : 5852
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: New Pedersoli is dialing in...   New Pedersoli is dialing in... Empty2016-03-26, 13:21

That's what young eyes can do. Wish I had some. Dunno

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
MattRaymond

PostSubject: Re: New Pedersoli is dialing in...   New Pedersoli is dialing in... Empty2016-03-26, 14:01

I swabbed about every 3 shots or so.  The 1st time out with that gun a buddy of mine warned me that with the .45 Pedersoli, you could push fouling into the chambered breach, which is about .25 caliber and about 3/4" long, in these guns.  I did run into that issue last time and due to constant swabbing between shots, I blocked the chambered breach a few times and had to remove the touch hole and pour a few grains of powder behind it to get her jump started! I have since purchased a small fouling scraper from Dixie Gun Works, which is designed for their "Dixie Cub" gun.  It's basically the same gun with a shorter barrel. The scraper is stepped to get into the chambered breach area and scrape the breach plug face as well.  So now, when I do swab the bore, I also run that little scraper down there afterwards and turn it a few times...no issues with a blocked breach since.

Jon, your paste lube works really well and I apply it to all the metal parts before and after shooting. When it's time to clean, the residue that forms around the pan and tang wipes away with a barely moist patch, it doesn't let fouling really stick to the metal...GREAT STUFF!
Back to top Go down

New Pedersoli is dialing in...
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Traditional Muzzleloading-
Jump to: