Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

Muzzleloading Forum

HomeGalleryFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Ads

Share | 

50 Caliber

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Hanshi

Male Number of posts : 234
Registration date : 2015-01-21

PostSubject: Re: 50 Caliber   June 19th 2016, 1:04 pm

The majority of the deer I've killed were taken with various .50s or a couple of .45s.  I really like the .45 but my last deer gun was a .50.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.martialartsusa.com
OSR

Male Number of posts : 96
Registration date : 2014-01-23

PostSubject: Re: 50 Caliber   June 20th 2016, 4:08 pm

@JLBSparks wrote:
I've taken dozens of deer with a .50, and I can comfortably say that every deer that I killed has died.

-Joe
You sure? Laughing Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kentucky Colonel
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 1632
Registration date : 2015-10-28

PostSubject: Re: 50 Caliber   June 20th 2016, 6:25 pm

@OSR wrote:
@JLBSparks wrote:
I've taken dozens of deer with a .50, and I can comfortably say that every deer that I killed has died.

-Joe
You sure? Laughing Laughing Laughing
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Florida Muzzleloaders Association 
Central Florida Muzzleloaders 
Green River Rifle Works Collectors Association
NMLRA
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JLBSparks

Number of posts : 150
Registration date : 2015-03-04

PostSubject: Re: 50 Caliber   June 24th 2016, 5:57 pm

Very sure. It's hard to keep 'em on the grill if they ain't fully dead.

-Joe
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kentucky Colonel
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 1632
Registration date : 2015-10-28

PostSubject: Re: 50 Caliber   June 24th 2016, 6:48 pm

@JLBSparks wrote:
Very sure. It's hard to keep 'em on the grill if they ain't fully dead.

-Joe
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

I laughed before. I laughed this time.

Florida Muzzleloaders Association 
Central Florida Muzzleloaders 
Green River Rifle Works Collectors Association
NMLRA
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hanshi

PostSubject: Re: 50 Caliber   June 25th 2016, 12:13 pm

I've never had a deer that  required a second shot.  There was one I shot with a .50 that was thrashing and trying to regain his feet - but he was hit too hard to do it - so I reloaded quickly and fired again without leaving the stand.  Instant finale.  Never happened with either my .45s, .54 or .62.  I'm not saying a .45 is better than a .50; it's not.  But I've enjoyed so much success with my two .45s and really like the rifles that fires them that the caliber is my favorite.

Of the four .50s I've used on deer, none disappointed me at all.  Currently I've been using the .62 smoothbore and will also attempt to christen my "new" .50.  The smoothbore, which I like so much, may end up being my favorite.
Back to top Go down
Smokin' Joe

Male Number of posts : 2000
Registration date : 2011-11-23

PostSubject: Re: 50 Caliber   June 25th 2016, 12:29 pm

Hanshi, is 50 yards about max effective range for the .62 smooth bore?

Semper Fi……..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hanshi

PostSubject: Re: 50 Caliber   June 25th 2016, 1:15 pm

@Smokin' Joe wrote:
Hanshi, is 50 yards about max effective range for the .62 smooth bore?

50 yards is not even close to the limit of it's killing power, of course, but is often the limit of the load's accuracy or the skill of the shooter.  Everything considered I'd have no qualms about shooting at a deer at 60 yards at least.  A few shooters have worked up loads that are quite accurate at 100 yards; I'm not one of them.  Most shots at deer are rather close so paper plate groups at 50 yards will normally do quite well.  And while the norm for rifles is the 5 shot group; a 3 shot group works for a smoothbore.  Success in the deer woods is usually accomplished with one (the first) shot and rarely a second.  So a 3 shot group is a good indicator of actual hunting accuracy with a smoothbore.  Mine came with a rear sight installed which makes aiming much easier and about like shooting a rifle.  The sights (on mine) are also use for aiming a shot pattern.  So far I've only killed one deer with my smoothbore and it was a 20 yard shot; but it was a running shot.  I was just as surprised as the deer with the hit.  A .62 ball hits like the hammer of Thor.  Through the smoke I just made out the deer jumping straight up and crashing down in her foot prints.  The smoothbore is flint so I did give her plenty of lead so as not to hit too far back.
Back to top Go down
Smokin' Joe

PostSubject: Re: 50 Caliber   June 26th 2016, 6:23 am

Thanks, good to know. I'm going to be building a Jim Chambers Pennsyvania Fowler in September.

Semper Fi……..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sharpsman

Male Number of posts : 525
Registration date : 2016-02-13

PostSubject: Re: 50 Caliber   June 26th 2016, 10:24 am

Smoothbores!

?????

Ain't never figured out WHY a man would want one myself! Smoothbore to me means.....shotgun which I kill ducks with and when we were deer hunting and running dogs in Alabama....I killed many a running buck shooting buckshot!!

As for having rifle capability....IMO that's a lost cause!! affraid Deadhorse
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Smokin' Joe

PostSubject: Re: 50 Caliber   June 26th 2016, 11:46 am

Well Sharpsman...back in the 1750's if a man could only afford one gun it would be quite beneficial to get a smooth bore.  You could hunt ducks, turkey etc. or put a round ball down the barrel and hunt deer, bear or moose.  Also, I've heard tell, that if you were in a battle they also loaded faster because of the smooth bore.  Jim Chambers states they can achieve 3" groups at 50 yards.  I've only shot one deer farther than 50 yards in my 54 years of hunting and that was because I went to The Big Horn mountains in Wyoming.

Besides, I think it might be fun!

Semper Fi……..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hanshi

PostSubject: Re: 50 Caliber   June 26th 2016, 1:54 pm

I've fired several sub 3" groups at 50 yards.  One was an 8 shot group, too.  You can patch lead balls same as with a rifle and probably get your best accuracy.  I have a .590" mold and those ball get patched.  However I am becoming more and more fond of a "bare ball" load with WW cast ball.  I cast a .606" WW ball and seat in on a lubed fiber wad with a card wad on top.  I seat these as one unit and accuracy is good.  I like challenge and a flintlock rifle will let you take deer at 100 yards or more.  But with a smoothbore you have to get closer to be sure of a good hit.
Back to top Go down
RonC
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 1028
Registration date : 2013-09-09

PostSubject: Re: 50 Caliber   June 26th 2016, 3:25 pm

That is valuable information, Hanshi!
Thank you,
Ron

Outside of a Dog, a Book is Man’s Best Friend. Inside of a Dog, It’s Too Dark to Read. Groucho Marx (or possibly someone earlier)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
patocazador

Number of posts : 5837
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: 50 Caliber   June 26th 2016, 4:40 pm

I get fair accuracy  at 50 yds. in my 12 gauge (.729) with an OP wad and dead (dried) lightly lubed Spanish moss both below and above a bare .715 ball.
However a patched .690 ball does a bit better.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hanshi

PostSubject: Re: 50 Caliber   June 26th 2016, 5:01 pm

This thread may be about .50 caliber rifles but it is great fun and very informative to include smoothbores.  After all, some .50s are bored smooth.  Patched ball is also more accurate for me in my .62 but I either have to use a .600" pure lead ball with a very thin patch - the bore in my smoothbore is tight - or a .590" WW ball with a thick (rifle) patch.  The .606" WW ball is large enough to shoot well without a patch and just held in place with a felt or fiber wad and card wad and seated as a single unit.
Back to top Go down
lighthorseman

Male Number of posts : 704
Registration date : 2016-05-18

PostSubject: Re: 50 Caliber   June 26th 2016, 8:14 pm

There's different types of hunters. In the beginning most are happy to get a shot.  The we movr on to filling at tag...or the meat hunter stage. At some point there is the method stage........I.e. scoped center fire or muzzleloder......inline v. Side lock......percussion v flintlock. ......rifle v smoothbore....each has it's own challenges, but the hunter decides what level of challenge he wants. An interesting point is that the more difficult the challenge, the further back in history we find our experience . My neighbor has gone to long range hunting, taking 600yd-1,000yd shots....his methodology!  At my age, having shot muzzloders since the early 70s, I have set the challenged myself to fill as many tags as possible with my smoothbore flinter.........if  I fail to fill a tag....I'm okay. Also I'm a trophy hunter....so the challenge greater., but experience is become everything.  My first deer was with a .50 cal. cap gun....first bear and elk with a .58 flinter. I hope to finish the race with my. 62 smooth rifle. Very Happy

One page of history is worth more than a book of logic
Back to top Go down
View user profile
patocazador

Number of posts : 5837
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: 50 Caliber   June 26th 2016, 8:22 pm

@lighthorseman wrote:
There's different types of hunters. In the beginning most are happy to get a shot.  

I've been hunting since ~1953 and I'm still happy just to get a shot.

Last year I got two shots.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
lighthorseman

Male Number of posts : 704
Registration date : 2016-05-18

PostSubject: Re: 50 Caliber   June 26th 2016, 8:43 pm

Laughing Last year I never pulled the trigger...but saw lots of deer! Elk are back. So who knows what this year will bring!l

One page of history is worth more than a book of logic
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hanshi

PostSubject: Re: 50 Caliber   June 27th 2016, 8:43 am

Last year I never pulled a trigger and saw NO deer.  Of course I was able to get only twice.  Hope to do more this year.
Back to top Go down
backwoodsman

Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2015-04-01

PostSubject: Re: 50 Caliber   July 1st 2016, 1:02 am

All my smoke poles are .50's and I love them, I target shoot with em, compete at rondy's with the, and I can knock a gallon can  fence post easily at 150 yards. I've never killed anything yet over fifty yards off. I wouldn't hesitate to kill an elk with my .50's, I just open the door and shoot them in my yard at 15 yards. I love my .50's.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 50 Caliber   

Back to top Go down

50 Caliber
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Traditional Muzzleloading-
Jump to: